News:

• March 28, 2024, 11:18:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Landing skids on 1/2A for grass?  (Read 1147 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Landing skids on 1/2A for grass?
« on: June 13, 2021, 11:43:04 AM »
Has anyone tried replacing the small wheel landing gear on 1/2A's with wire shaped skids? I am thinking that the wire would look like the standard gear but the ends would simple be bent in a smooth curve to allow the small ship to slide over the grass rather then have the wheels that just dings in and flips the model over. Do you think this will work?

Best,   DennisT

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Landing skids on 1/2A for grass?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2021, 12:08:58 PM »
For grass flying a 1/2 A get rid of the gear entirely.
Paul Smith

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2021, 09:18:11 PM »
   I agree with eliminating the landing gear entirely. When we were designing the TuffBaby for use at the KidVenture circles at Oshkosh, we put everything on tope of the flying surfaces, bell crank, push rod and control horn. The bottom of the model is pretty smooth, and with making sure the prop stops in a horizontal position, it slides right in on landing, and nothing can catch on or get caught up in the controls.
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2021, 01:34:22 PM »
I did that on a couple of planes when I was a kid.  It works better than wheels -- but it'll still flip when landing on grass.

These days I either run wheels for show and accept that the plane will flip on landing, or I do what Dan McEntee suggests.

For taking off with or without wheels, use the sleeve method (cardboard sleeve clamped to a chair, pull the plane to launch).  Or with wheels lay down a sheet of cardboard or plywood (or fly off of pavement).
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here