News:

• March 28, 2024, 09:57:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Here. Hold my beer.  (Read 2034 times)

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Here. Hold my beer.
« on: October 17, 2020, 09:12:56 PM »
Here.  Hold my beer.

In thread over on the CEF, one of the members posted a picture of an imitation inline twin .049 engine on an eBay auction.  It looked more like a faux pas than a faux twin.  So, after looking at the pictures on the eBay listing, all I could say is, “Here. Hold my beer!”

It should only take about an hour to get the metering fixed like I want it.  After it’s fixed, it’ll be ready to install in a plane.  I didn’t bring out my tach, but it’s screaming quite well.  Should have no problem pulling a plane through the maneuvers.  I already know what I’m going to build for a plane, so stand by.  I have a whole six pack.

Mark

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Here. Hold my beer.
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2020, 09:55:10 PM »
That's a Tri-fuel motor. Pretty common around here. Front cylinder is glow and acts like a pony motor on a CAT. Rear cylinder is diesel, which is why he keeps diddling with the compression to get it to fire. Notice that the diesel runs hot--he burned his fingers. The third fuel is the beer, with real high alcohol content to keep the flippy activity going, over and over and over, regardless of the needle setting.

The reason the glowhead on the pony cylinder burned out is because he's got a fuel leak between the cases. Ether is death on the hot platinum element.

The prop is yellow, and has the safety tips because after running CATs for a lifetime, that's the kind of thing you're used to.

The Divot

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 05:27:24 PM »
Pretty cool Mark.
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Online Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2020, 06:23:10 PM »
What prop is he running? Rpm? Fuel? How are the cylinders linked? They must be in tandem or the case pressure wouldn’t suck fuel. But how does he stabilize that long a crankpin?

Cool project!
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Wayne Collier

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2020, 07:09:10 PM »
I watched the video a few times. Looks to me like only the front cylinder is functional? Appears the back one is a clever disguise of the needle and venturi?  Thoughts? 
Wayne Collier     Northeast Texas
<><

never confuse patience with slowness never confuse motion with progress

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2020, 09:10:01 PM »
What prop is he running? Rpm? Fuel? How are the cylinders linked? They must be in tandem or the case pressure wouldn’t suck fuel. But how does he stabilize that long a crankpin?

Cool project!

It's running a Cox 5x3 rubber ducky.  I forgot to get out my tach, so I don't have an accurate speed.  From the sound, I'd guess around 16K.  Here's how I did it:

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t14510-here-hold-my-beer

Mark

Offline Oldenginerod

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2020, 10:31:34 PM »
Everyone needs to go back and re-read Marks original post where he describes the engine as an "imitation".  Rear one is just for looks folks. ;D

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2022, 08:17:48 PM »
Okay.  I finally got around to building a plane for this.  No name for the plane yet.  But I also wanted to try making a flapped sheet wing plane, so this is two first flights in one.  The balloon tank is a 9” party balloon.  It’s filled up about half full.  That got a 9 minute and 45 second run.  On the way home I stopped at WalMart and got a bag of 7” balloons, and that’s only because they didn’t have 5” party balloons…  Ah, well.  They’re only 99 cents for the bag of 30 balloons.  I can always use the 9” balloons for the Medallion .15 on my SIG Acromaster.

Mark

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2022, 08:07:38 PM »
Is that the Joe Gilbert doing the pilot work?   Also looks like Gluedobbers field from the looks of how circle is mowed.  Sure miss going down there.   Also if it is Joe surprised he didn't put it through the stunt pattern. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here