Building Tips and technical articles. > 1/2 A building.

Half A at Brodak's - Rules discussion

(1/4) > >>

goozgog:
  I feel guilty every time I bump this subject
to the top in the main forum. Hopefully we
can discuss it here.

I like the idea of a reedy only category,
but as my devious mind starts to work,
I realize that there are so many configurations
of engines that what is meant by a reedy
needs to be defined.

Obviously a Baby Bee to a Black Widow
would be considered a standard Cox reed
engine, so would a common reed Product Engine
be allowed without the integral tank? ( #4 in picture)
Having enough fuel to complete the pattern
would be a big advantage.

See what I mean? 
This needs to be discussed and decided.

Cheers! - K.

Dennis Adamisin:
Hi Gooz
Great idea starting this thread here.

I think the pattern should be designed around the capabilities (flight time) of the large integral tank engines (Golden Bee, Black Widow).  The Product engines should be legal, and  should use a similar sized tank to the Golden Bee for similar flight duration - meaning larger tanks are unnecessary.

Of course we should prohibit pressurized systems or bladders from reedy's, but other than that go ahead and use the product engines since there are so many of them around.

Carl Cisneros:
Guys;
What would a good 1/2A kit be for use with the little reed motors?

Already received the Pathfinder for my NV motor.

Carl

kenneth cook:
          I have to ask why would you not allow a bladder? Do you think it makes the engine run more rpm's? Most 1/2A's designed around a integral type bee doesn't have enough fuse area for a tank. Therefore, one has to lengthen the nose to allow for one. The next problem is getting a tank to fit or not having anything in the way to allow for height adjustment. This is where landing gear can be a issue. Using a bladder on a reedy isn't going to offer any more power unless the venturi opening is enlarged. It will take all the bs out of fiddling with existing models and can allow placement anywhere. Bladder was allowed in the 1/2A event just passed and shouldn't be excluded here. It can also insure reliability in seeing a plane through the pattern.

Carl, I have to say that the Brodak Baby Clown makes a excellent choice for a reedy. I have had one in kit form and one in ARF. Using them be it a integral type bee or product engine, they fly terrific. My favorite flying 1/2A is the Lil Tomahawk. I believe Outerzone lists plans for this plane. Both of these examples have a decent wingspan and fly well. I'm currently flying both and have since switched to product engines. Brodak currently offers both kit and ARF in beam mounting therefore some modification would be required.

Larry Renger:
1/2A Snapper, Baby Flite Streak, RSM Miss Ashley, my Frite Streak, my original version Skyfire, Top Flite profile series P-51, Hurricane and Little Tony (not sure of the last two, but there were three kits in that series), any of Brodak’s 1/2 A series for reed engines, any number of published designs.

Converting the Brodak Baby Clown to a Baby Super Clown by adding scaled authentic flaps is killer. I can provide the drawing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version