Building Tips and technical articles. > 1/2 A building.

Half A at Brodak's - Rules discussion

<< < (4/4)

goozgog:
  I spent today with Paul Smith and
the usual suspects at the Balsa Beavers
Summer Scale event.
   We had a brief discussion about Cox
engines and how they run fine when we
keep it simple. They are old engines so
expecting them to have modern power
will get complicated. Paul knows his stuff.

My original intention with my Focke-Wulf
was to have a competitive plane that uses
a reed valve, dual bypass, normal head,
plastic back plate, Product Engines.
  I still haven't flown it in that configuration,
but I'll do it soon since it would be a good
discussion point.

Cheers! - K.

Dennis Adamisin:
...and it is quite possible that I am clueless about the max potential of reedies.  However I have never seen one that would run with a Tee Dee, much less the modern stuff.

goozgog:

--- Quote from: Dennis Adamisin on July 06, 2019, 06:49:39 PM ---...and it is quite possible that I am clueless about the max potential of reedies.  However I have never seen one that would run with a Tee Dee, much less the modern stuff.

--- End quote ---

No doubt about it Dennis but I want to see
if the horse I'm flogging is dead or just stunned.
( and pinning for the fiords ? )
 <=

Cheers! - K.

( Edit )
  OMG! Sorry Dennis. I just re-read this and
it sounds like I'm calling you "clueless".
I was trying to say that you are correct about
reedies and TD's.
Yikes!

Larry Renger:
Here is a "reedie" design that will do a clean pattern. Tank run is short, of course, so refueling would be needed in the rules. (First takeoff and last landing for score) Shorten the nose and use a Kavan tank extender or lengthen the nose, use a product engine and external tank. Weight came in under 7 ounces, Wing Area about 160 sq.in. Published in Flying Models.

Built up wing should meet or beat the original Cox folded foam wings. Span 30", root chord 6", tip chord 5", 15% airfoil (NACA 0015). The original wings show up on e-Bay now and then. Or get Bob Hunt to cut you a killer pair!

Michael Stinson:
I just looked at the 1/2a Stunt rules on the Bridak web page.  I don't see any tank size or pressure restrictions.  Why would you want them?  Is this supposed to be a Cox Reed Valve event?  Is there a point deduction for the "1/2  A  minimum  AMA stunt  pattern  rules"? 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version