News:

• May 19, 2024, 01:39:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Building "Miss Ashley"  (Read 778 times)

Offline kenneth cook

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Building "Miss Ashley"
« on: April 24, 2012, 11:11:40 AM »
                   I was recently given a RSM Miss Ashley kit. Although some of the parts needed to be made, the majors were all in the kit. This is the first 1/2A laser kit I ever built. Ribs look real nice . Making the trailing edge was a little more than I anticipated though. The plans call for a 1/4" x 1/4" spar which is quite wide compared to the rib. I took the 1/4"x1/4" spar and tapered it on my table saw. This is quite dangerous as my saw is not designed for material of this size and I had several fingerboards holding it firmly to the table. The end result was great but the trailing edge isn't quite as strong as the original 1/4" x 1/4". Nothing is assembled as of yet other than the tip ribs tacked to the web spar. Would using the full 1/4" trailing edge and cutting back the tail of the rib be a better idea? I'm assuming the interlocking web spar is the strong point of this wing. I just know how flimsy things can be when they're this thin. The plane is quite similar to a 1/2 A Magician. The nose would need to be a tad longer. I may just do that as there is absolutely no room for a external tank. ANyone else build this plane? Ken

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
Re: Building "Miss Ashley"
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 08:32:54 PM »
                     My problem here is the trailing edge as I've described in the other post. With so many people looking at the post I was hoping for a piece of advice. Would cutting the tails of the ribs back until they're 1/4" be the solution then tapering down?  Currently at the high point my trailing edge is 3/16" tapering to about 3/32" . ANy advice is gladly appreciated here as I've stopped the build due to some repairs on other models. Ken

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
Re: Building "Miss Ashley"
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 09:12:47 PM »
Ken,

Since it's a solid trailing edge and pretty thin there is really only one thing to do. Gusset the trailing edge to the ribs and it should be plenty strong.
Dennis

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here