« on: June 26, 2019, 08:59:41 PM »
blank
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 01:04:20 PM by Motorman »

Offline TDM

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Re: Full Size to 1/2a Size
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 06:37:28 AM »
I would thin out the airfoil to some 15% root 13% at tip to help with penetration. It will still have plenty of lift.
To make a light fuselage you might want to consider laminating two layers of 1/32 balsa over a foam plug to make the fuselage shells. Maybe cut the number of ribs in half.
Each goal you meet is a moment of happiness
Happiness is the harmony between what you think and what you do. Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 09:07:41 AM »
Generally, if you are at an in-between wood size when scaled down, use the next smaller size.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 09:15:38 AM »
So if I just go to the copier and scale down a Thundergazer to 1/2a size will it fly ok or does it need a bigger tail or something?

Thanks,
Motorman 8)
Having flown a gazillion 1/2 A's and also free flight when I was younger I don't think that weight is that much of a factor (within reason).  If you have ever seen a TD .049/051 lift a 300sq" free fight (that weighs probably twice what you are about to build) straight up accelerating as it goes you know what I mean.  IMHO line tension is the #1 problem in 1/2a.  Too light and it doesn't stay out on the lines or you have to use lines too short to do a respectable pattern.  I wouldn't change the design at all.  I had plenty of planes with thick airfoils and they flew just fine although only a few had flaps.  If I did anything, I would build it so that I could move the engine forward or back to get the CG.  Every full body 1/2a I have ever built ended up tail heavy.

Good Luck - Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 09:22:28 AM »
Heman Lee's Half Lite stunter is awesome, although it's not full house.  https://www.aeromaniacs.com/Freeplans.htm

I'd use a more modern engine than a Cox, and if I were serious about performance with a Cox I think I'd start with a TD, or I'd talk to Paul Gibeault about what he uses on his scale models.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here