News:

• March 29, 2024, 07:08:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: From Hilo, Hawaii....Thank You Mr. Larry Renger!  (Read 1771 times)

Offline Ernest Kuba

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
  • AMA 9943
From Hilo, Hawaii....Thank You Mr. Larry Renger!
« on: April 06, 2018, 02:03:37 PM »
I'm a new member here but an older modeler who got his start with Cox plastic ukies and engines.  I have a lot of fond memories from my childhood playing with Cox engines, taking them apart and putting them back together again, trying to get the best performance from them.  I too have built some of the classics, Sterling Beginner Series, Baby Ringmaster, Lil Satans, Combat Kittens, etc.  to the point that I started to scratch build my own designs of combat and stunters, all powered by Cox 1/2 A's while still in middle school.

Although I eventually evolved to flying RC, which is still my primary interest, I do keep a couple of Cox engines around and will hopefully start using them again as there still is interest in flying control line in our local RC club!

So, this is my thanks to one of the men who has been instrumental in my life of modeling which spans for over 50 years!  Much Aloha and Mahalo to Mr. Larry Renger!

p.s.

I still have a ME-109 super stunter in good flying condition that I'm thinking of replicating in balsa....so if you have the time, I would appreciate some information on sidethrust angles and stab incidence if you remember them!

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: From Hilo, Hawaii....Thank You Mr. Larry Renger!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 07:24:38 AM »
  Welcome Ernest! The Cox models were a big part of a lot of our lives and for some of us, still are! Search my name on YouTube and you will find some videos of me flying my Stuka and model 95 Super Cub. Would you happen to know Francis Chinen from out on the Islands? He has a daughter that lives in my area (St. Louis, MO) and comes to the main land now and then to visit and we have been able to get together and fly a time or two.
   Type at you later, and Aloha and Mahalo to you also!
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Ernest Kuba

• New Pilot
  • AMA 9943
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 02:35:24 PM »
  Welcome Ernest! The Cox models were a big part of a lot of our lives and for some of us, still are! Search my name on YouTube and you will find some videos of me flying my Stuka and model 95 Super Cub. Would you happen to know Francis Chinen from out on the Islands? He has a daughter that lives in my area (St. Louis, MO) and comes to the main land now and then to visit and we have been able to get together and fly a time or two.
   Type at you later, and Aloha and Mahalo to you also!
   Dan McEntee
Hi Dan,
I wrote a reply earlier but not sure what happened to it.  I'm sorry but I don't know a Francis Chinen, but I will be on the lookout for him, always great to meet fellow modelers.
I watched your YouTube videos and it was great to see your planes take to the air again.  As a kid I've always admired the Stuka. I had a few other Cox planes starting with all yellow one But I can't recall what it was as I was about 3 or 4 years old.    That would put it back around 1961-62.  Somehow I think it may have been a Texan but according to another website, the Texan wasn't produced until the early 90's.  I also had the P-51, Corsair, . 020 Pitts Special, and lastly the Me 109.  I did a lot of odd jobs to earn enough to get those planes!  I remember going door to door selling Christmas cards (from those ads from comic books that you could earn prizes for selling so many boxes of cards) to get the Corsair as well as a Cox Meyers Manx dune buggy. The P-51 came from the grocery store stamp books my mom saved. I also washed a lot of cars and did a lot of yard work, but it taught me a lot about working towards a goal at a very early age.

Thanks for the welcome here as well as for sharing your videos, in the meantime, keep those flying lines tight!

Ernie

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline Ernest Kuba

• New Pilot
  • AMA 9943
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 05:44:19 PM »
Hi Dan,
I wrote a reply earlier but not sure what happened to it.  I'm sorry but I don't know a Francis Chinen, but I will be on the lookout for him, always great to meet fellow modelers.
I watched your YouTube videos and it was great to see your planes take to the air again.  As a kid I've always admired the Stuka. I had a few other Cox planes starting with all yellow one But I can't recall what it was as I was about 3 or 4 years old.    That would put it back around 1961-62.  Somehow I think it may have been a Texan but according to another website, the Texan wasn't produced until the early 90's.  I also had the P-51, Corsair, . 020 Pitts Special, and lastly the Me 109.  I did a lot of odd jobs to earn enough to get those planes!  I remember going door to door selling Christmas cards (from those ads from comic books that you could earn prizes for selling so many boxes of cards) to get the Corsair as well as a Cox Meyers Manx dune buggy. The P-51 came from the grocery store stamp books my mom saved. I also washed a lot of cars and did a lot of yard work, but it taught me a lot about working towards a goal at a very early age.

Thanks for the welcome here as well as for sharing your videos, in the meantime, keep those flying lines tight!

Ernie

I just found the info for that all yellow cox first plane I had!  Evidently it came out in 1966-67 so I would have been 8-9 years old.  I guess the old synapses are wearing out!

Offline Ernest Kuba

• New Pilot
  • AMA 9943
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 05:46:44 PM »
I just found the info for that all yellow cox first plane I had!  Evidently it came out in 1966-67 so I would have been 8-9 years old.  I guess the old synapses are wearing out!

It was a T-28!

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 07:52:18 PM »
Thanks for the kind words!!  H^^

I enjoyed the time I was privileged to spend at Cox! (Well, all but the last few months with the new president who shall remain nameless, may he rot in a well deserved hot place)

Me109 side thrust is 5 degrees. Stab, wing and thrustline are parallel. If you could get a replica down to 9 ounces, you will have a stuntin’ Beast on your lines.  ;D. Especially with a Killer Bee, or better yet a Medallion for power.

The foam wings show up on e-Bay now and then, or cut a set with NACA 0015 airfoil.

If you are adventurous, get a set of plans and parts for my Sky Streak from Eric Rule at rsmdistribution.com. It is not in his regular catalog, so you have to request it specifically. That is the forward swept flying wing I use for an avatar. It is fully aerobatic and a smooth flyer when trimmed right.

If you are more conservative, look at the Sky Sport. Bart Klapinski flew one toa 498 score on his first flight with one! Of course that is typical of Bart to outfly the owner of a plane with no practice flight. The guy is unreal! But really an incredibly nice person I value as a friend.

Also look at the 1/2 A exponential handle, it really smooths out 1/2A Flying.

Another of my designs Eric can provide, is my 1/2A or Baby Magician. It may be the best of the bunch.

Again, thanks for your interest in my stuff!
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Ernest Kuba

• New Pilot
  • AMA 9943
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 09:58:11 AM »
Hi Larry,

I like the concept of your expo handle and will build one to try. 
Was the long nose moment and short tail moment done because of production materials weight?  Would that work out in a lighter balsa replica or should I follow the moments of other balsa designs.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2018, 10:14:42 AM »
The moments were indeed due to materials and balance. If you are making a replica, stick with the design as is.

If you just want the best performance, buy a kit for the Sky Sport, Baby Magician, Sky Streak, Baby Pathfinder, Pinto, Tercel, Stork, or Hunter Stunter. Those will all do a competitive pattern.

DesignMan

Offline Ernest Kuba

• New Pilot
  • AMA 9943
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2018, 10:22:49 AM »
Thanks for your advice,
I'll probably end up building an exact replica as well as one of the other designs you mentioned. Of those other designs, which one will a Cox Teedee.049 work or are they best suited for the NV/Norvel engines?

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2018, 01:08:32 PM »
They all can be flown with a Tee Dee, with an .061 you can fly on longer lines.

DesignMan

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here