News:

• March 28, 2024, 02:51:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fox 049  (Read 1542 times)

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Fox 049
« on: November 28, 2020, 11:16:19 PM »
Wow! 😁I didn't know fox built an 049! http://www.foxmodelmotors.com/engines/engines.htm

Offline Oldenginerod

• Lieutenant
Re: Fox 049
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2020, 04:43:26 AM »
Yep, sure did.  Most of them were sold to Comet for use in their RTF planes.  The deal between Fox & Comet went sour and there were many Fox engines sold after being returned by Comet, which had the Comet logo scrubbed off and the intake cut off at 45º, just to distinguish them.
While MECOA has purchased the rights to Fox engines, complete new .049 FIA engines and parts are available from Matt at http://www.exmodelengines.com
Matt acquired them I believe from Doug Martin who has been selling old-stock .049 engine parts for many years.
While I have one, I can't really comment on what their performance is like compared to the benchmark Cox .049s.  Their tank mount has the same footprint as a Cox Babe Bee/Black Widow etc.

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2020, 06:25:55 AM »
      The Fox .049 is a decent engine. Unfortunately, it's plaqued with typical Fox quality and it will hand grenade if not careful. Crankshafts are weak, the rod ball socket looks like a caveman made it and it's typically full of play. They do run surprisingly well and they needle well. The spraybar is a real jewel  as it's too small and the fuel line likes falling off.

Bill Mohrbacher who left us wrote terrific articles on all of the Fox engines. Fox made several different variants of the .049. The Comet version that OldEngine Rod explains is just one. It sets itself aside from the rest. It looks like hell as it's had its tank back hacked off with a axe and all the logo work on the side of the bypass has been ground off. One would think someone butchered the engine like that but it was Fox. They carried that tradition throughout the years. I love em though.

The .074 and the .049 use the same case. The .074 is not too shabby for a old .07. The .049 has a bump on the top of the piston whereas the .07 has a flat top piston. One has 9 cooling fins the other has 7 fins and the base of the cylinder is thinner on one vs the other. I was with Bill when he was schooling me on all these differences and I really should've been taking notes. Owning both, I can see all the differences from comparing side to side but some of the cases offered web gussets as well and these changes were added through the years. One version used a screw to hold the prop and the other a nut.

Fox offered the FAI version which was also a neat engine with quite a bit of power. This version had external differences as well as internal. The main difference was the exhaust ports which were angled vs straight.

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2020, 10:47:44 PM »
The free flight guys here run the Fox FAI 049 and claim TD 049 performance. Many of the ones they have were reworked by Doug, so maybe that's why they're cool. I didn't know about them or the differences either, but have learned a lot recently. I also ended up with a number of them. I'll be putting one on my satellite 320.

Offline BillP

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2020, 08:38:38 AM »
Way back I bought a nos 07. I called fox and they put together a box full of spare parts. After talking with them the 07 had two cranks, fai and nitro. The way to tell the difference was one had a round crank intake and the other square. Unfortunately I don't remember which was one was for fai or nitro.  25% nitro was suggested.
Bill P.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2020, 07:23:08 PM »
Like the Tee Dee compared to the Medallion, almost certainly the square one was the hot version.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here