News:

• May 07, 2024, 10:26:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brodak ARF Baby Clown engine?  (Read 2220 times)

Offline AT1984

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Brodak ARF Baby Clown engine?
« on: May 18, 2012, 03:24:09 PM »
I also posted this in the "Clowning Around" thread:

I know the Brodak Baby Clown (kit/ARF) is for .049's. Would an old (1952) McCoy .098 be too much engine for that plane? (I'm new to C/L, so don't be too harsh on me!)  ;D  

If it won't work on the Baby Clown, could someone suggest a plane for that engine?

Thanks!

Allen

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: Brodak ARF Baby Clown engine?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 03:34:41 PM »
Hi Allen,

If the McCoy is a good runner, then it will fly the Clown, but maybe just round and round.  Not a LOT of power there.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 03:51:48 PM »
Bill,
Interesting, I used a McCoy098 on my first Jr Ringmaster. It didn't do much for the model but that engine did teach me a few things. The best was the use of 30 wt oil to get compression then a prime and then flip the prop like you ment it to start. It ran and then would freewheel about 3 times when it quit. Suprisingly it ran for quite awhile like that. Most of the Sportsman series wern't much to write home about.
So to the point, I'd use a modern 1/2A before using a heavy sinker. if in less then sterling condition I doubt that it would overpower the baby clown,just anchor it to the ground with it's weight.

Dennis

Offline AT1984

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 04:19:38 PM »
"if in less then sterling condition I doubt that it would overpower the baby clown,just anchor it to the ground with it's weight."

Now that's a good one!

Anyone ELSE?!

Thanks,

Allen

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 12:10:02 PM »
          I'm not sure which ARF version you have Allen. I own the earlier firewall plastic mount version. I know they offer the beam mounted version as well.  THis plane is extremely light and has relatively small squares. In my situation the Black Widow flies this plane with more than enough power. I just don't like the short engine runs consistent with integral tank Cox engines. As much as I enjoy Cox engines they can really test your patience. At certain times of the year and I don't know exactly what plant or weed causes this, but I get these small rye grass like seeds that get sucked into the reed through the intake. This happens on landings. The Black Widow engines I own are screenless. Regardless of screen or not, these seeds block up the intake. All can be going well then the problems set in. Seeing that the nose of mine has the room for a small tank, I feel a mildly powered engine like the Medallion .049 using the stock single bypass cylinder would be more than adequate for this plane and probably a lot of fun. Ken
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 07:42:43 PM by kenneth cook »

Offline AT1984

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 09:22:00 PM »
Ken,

I don't have the plane, yet...or the .098 McCoy. I passed on the engine, but might get it, later. I do have a BEAUTIFUL Golden Bee, but I don't know if I want to risk that one! I want to get a Baby Clown, and I'm sure the Cox engine will move it along, nicely. I have to get a lot better at flying, before I risk a nice engine, though.

Thanks for the reply!

Allen

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 06:44:25 AM »

If it won't work on the Baby Clown, could someone suggest a plane for that engine?

Thanks!
Allen

The only plane I remember that shows a McCoy .098 in it is the Walt Hughes design from 1950 called "Little Missle". It is a swept wing, twin rudder design that is built to be light weight.

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 07:48:24 AM »
Hi Allen,
As far as I know, the only real difference between a Golden Bee and a Babe Bee is that the Golden Bee has a gold anodised case and tank, they both share the single port cylinder. Oh the Golden Bee also has an 8cc tank rather than the Babe Bee's 5cc tank.
What I am saying is that a Golden bee isn't very special and has the same characteristics as the lowly Bee! I would just go ahead and use it, it isn't a very special engine!
I don't know if you are a beginner or a retread, but 1/2A stunting with a single port Cox isn't that easy, if you don't have much experience. If that is the case, I would definitely go for a bigger plane and engine, they are easier to fly. Once you have your hand in, then go 1/2A and enjoy yourself for very little money!

Regards,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Thomas Wilk

• Commander
    • Tom Wilk's old mag plans on CD
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 11:39:13 AM »
RE: Little Missile
send me an email off forum -- tawilk636@live.com

I have the plans scanned.  they should print out as full size.

Tom Wilk

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 12:22:47 PM »
Several years ago I built a fuselage and cut out all the parts for a Little Missle.  It's still in that state.  I found tat even though the "LM" is small and very light, the McCoy .098 might not do much more than fly it around in circles........

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 05:01:36 PM »
              Allen the Golden Bee is a pretty looking engine. I'm a user and not a collector. There are thousands of those engines around. It would certainly make a great introductory engine for someone even learning maneuvers. Andrew stated that the Golden Bee has a single ported bypass. This isn't always the case. I own about 12 Golden Bee's and not everyone of them came with single bypass porting. I have about 5 of them that have dual bypass porting and these aren't retrofitted. Cox did many things that weren't always consistent. I have Baby Bee engines from mid 80's that all have dual bypass porting. In either case you have a great engine for that model. The engine itself is almost indestructable aside from blasting it into asphalt. More parts are available now than ever before. You could never purchase gaskets and venturi gaskets in the amounts you can purchase nowadays. You had to purchase the entire rebuild kit for one gasket. I certainly would use it. You could even probably find a Bee tank that someone has drilled a hole into. This would allow you to run an external tank but still use your radial tank back. This works very well actually.  Even if you chose not to, a Sure Start with a small Perfect tank will give you terrific performance for cents on a dollar. You have the ability to use different reeds, higher performance backplates, finer needle valves, a entire selection of glow plugs. I don't know of any engine that has so much available for it for just a few dollars. Ken
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 08:02:05 PM by kenneth cook »

Offline AT1984

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2012, 12:27:44 AM »
Thanks for the replies.

Andrew, the Golden Bee has a "Stunt" tank with two vents. I think that's the main difference.

Kenneth, I probably will fly it, just hope I don't bust it up. It does have the "number 2" cylinder, so I know it's the genuine article. I'm not drilling that tank!  ;D

Thanks again,

Allen

Offline AT1984

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2012, 11:23:23 PM »
Here's the Golden Bee...

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2012, 01:13:16 PM »
                 Allen, you now realize that in your next post that engine has to bolted onto a plane. That's the rules . Ken

Offline AT1984

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2012, 12:45:38 PM »
Ken,

That may take a while...I don't have a plane for it, YET! I need to get that Baby Clown...

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2012, 01:12:51 PM »
             Allen, are you dead set on a ARF? Also, can you build? I recently started a RSM Miss Ashley which is really designed for a Baby Bee. I changed the fuselage and will be installing a Cox Medallion.This is a simple easy building kit.  On a side note though, the Brodak Lightning Streak is a excellent flying plane that is designed around your engine. These are simple designs that are quite easy to build and can be done in a few days. These are relatively inexpensive but they truly fly well. I've had excellent success with every Brodak 1/2 A kit I built. They just flew extremely well most likely contributed to the light wood. The lightning Streak as well as other Brodak kits use a mount that will accept your Golden Bee and also the production back plates such as the Sure Starts. Another terrific flyer is the Skyray. I certainly would make ply doublers for the Skyray going from the front of the fuse back onto the wing about 1 1/2". The Skyray could afford noseweight anyhow. All in all the Skyray makes a great airframe for a Black Widow or a Golden Bee. Ken
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 07:04:47 AM by kenneth cook »

Offline philip metzner

• chevyiron420
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2012, 09:58:40 PM »
I also posted this in the "Clowning Around" thread:

I know the Brodak Baby Clown (kit/ARF) is for .049's. Would an old (1952) McCoy .098 be too much engine for that plane? (I'm new to C/L, so don't be too harsh on me!)  ;D  

Thanks!

Allen
Allen, yeah thats too much engine for the baby clown. If I were you the first thing I would do is get my engine checked out and see what i had. Get yourself a 7x4 prop, and some fuel with mostly castor oil. I run 20% nitro in my cub 099 with about 23% oil, more than half castor. This is real important. If she runs good i think a Circus Prince kit may be good.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here