News:

• May 20, 2024, 05:51:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dave Brown mounts  (Read 978 times)

Offline kenneth cook

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Dave Brown mounts
« on: November 13, 2011, 04:58:10 AM »
              For the past few months, I've had nothing but continuous problems using these mounts. First I find them very troublesome to even drill accurately. I'm open to suggestions here. I've also experienced sever vibrations to the point the plane won't fly due to all the vibes going into the plane. This has been with Tee Dee's , Norvel's etc. These are all mounted on combat foamies. I have a double 1/8th lite ply firewall that is glass reinforced. The mounts also break right at the rear mounting bolt holes. I mic and drill the holes for a 2-56 screw. I then took a drill bit that was ground to resemble a brad point drill bit made for wood. The point centers the bit on the exit side of the hole and cuts a flat on the exit side of the hole so the nut is sitting on a flat. The past 4 that I did this way all broke and vibrated badly. Should I be using a self tapping screw to go into the composite rather than a machine screw? I've done this on similar mounts on .15 size planes using a allen sheet metal screw that Dubro provides and it worked well. Although, it does screw into the hole rather easy and you have to constantly keep the screws snug. It also bulges the sides of the mount probably due to the screws being close to the edge. I'm not a fan of this but like I said it works. The only way I drill these is clamped to a ground block. There must be an easier and more accurate way of doing this. Looking on the net I've come across Fourmost mounts which show a Tee Dee installed in it. The mount cradles the engine rather than have it out onto two  beams. It looks quite heavy. Anyone use one of these mounts? I recently fabricated a aluminum mount using 6061 t-6 using the same bolt pattern as the Dave Brown and braking triangulated gussets into it. The mount worked great until it cracked in the corners. I guess it worked hardened and the vibrations did the rest resulting into poor runs once again. Ken
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 03:29:21 AM by kenneth cook »

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
Re: Dave Brown mounts
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 03:20:46 PM »
Ken.

I used them for years when I was flying R/C, and always used the biggest diameter metal screws that would fit the engine mount holes. It also helps to drill a small diameter pilot hole for each screw, so the mount doesn't bulge excessively. Never had a screw back out, and never had a failure with those mounts.

Had an aluminum mount fail on my Kadet Senior, and it took me a while to figure out what the strange noise was! One leg of the mount cracked off, and that side of the mount still attached to the engine was drumming against the firewall at certain engine speeds.  ;D

Replaced that mount with one of the composite mounts, and flew that Kadet Sr. for over ten years, with no more mount failures.

Bill
Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 09:33:14 AM »
I have never had a problem with the mounts.  I don't use the sheet metal screws as I think they stress the material.   I drill and tap the material like I would metal mounts.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 11:07:59 AM »
Curious thing about most plastics when drilling and tapping.  It expands from the heat of the process.  So the hole drilled actually is undersize when cooled.  After tapping the undersized thread acts as a "lock nut" type assembly.  I've used both the sheet metal screw and tapped holes and had no problems with the plastic mounts.
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 02:12:27 PM »
                I was drilling a hole for a 2-56 screw. Without thinking off the top of my head I'm going to say I probably used a 3/32 drill bit. I never thought of drilling and tapping the plastic mount. It would be obvious the smaller I make the hole the better off it would be. I could grab the engine with my hand and with minimal effort break it right off the ring. I couldn't believe it. I did this twice, so I surely don't think it is a manufacturing flaw. I'm certain the problem is on my end. Ken

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 07:15:33 PM »
You don't say which Dave Brown mounts you are using.   All mine were either for the .40-.60 size,  .25 size or even the .15.   All were drilled and tapped for 4-40 socket head machinge screws.   The reason I do this is that I have seen the RC guys using sheet metal screw to hold their engines.   Even seen some break the mount where it was not pre drilled for the sheet metal screw.   Yes I know I posted earlier but was not very clear to my thinking.   May not be clear even now. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline dankar

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 12:26:12 PM »
I use Tatone metal mounts. Drilled and tapped for 2/56 threads. I have used the Dave Brown mounts and they are hard to drill straight.  I know Tatone mounts are hard to find and I allways keep looking.  RC swap meets you never know what you will run into. Found a Tatone mount for Space Hopper Cox .049. Very rare as this is a long mount for rear induction engine.

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 05:20:55 AM »
               I guess I should've been more clear John. I was using the mounts for the .046-.061 engines. Even though the bolt pattern is the same per Tee Dee and Norvel, AP, Stels, Va, etc. they make different mounts for them. This is mainly due to the case width. The Norvel mount appears to be identical to the Dave Brown mounts but it seems to be harder. I found this true with an older Aristo Craft mount that I also have. What I'm starting to discover is that these mounts regardless if they work are not the ideal choice for combat planes due to their  inability to take a ground pounding. I do feel that drilling and tapping the plastic is the better route to take. On the models that I already have, I will try this. Some models I have already started to convert. Some of the models have a lite ply box construction for a fuselage. The front firewall is 1/8 ply with blind nuts behind it for fastening (typical). I generally wrap the box with fiberglass after construction is complete very similar to the older Goldberg models like the Jumping Bean and Lil Satan which had the box like configuration on the nose. I've opted to go with a arrow shaft fuse eliminating the heavier wood box fuse and I use a solid wood block on the nose on which I use aluminum mounts to hold the engine on like a profile. Ken

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here