News:

• May 12, 2024, 06:28:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: max wing size  (Read 1038 times)

Offline Gordon Tarbell

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
max wing size
« on: March 30, 2008, 07:45:17 AM »
I have one of the norvel engines out of one of those hexdrone arf's(.061). What is the max wing size this engine will pull through the air and do the pattern like a big stunter? I remember seeing Dave Shirley's stunter powered by a russian engine. I have some foam wing core cut outs that I would like to use, the high point of the airfoil is 1.420" the cord on one end is 8.5" the other end is 6.5" and the length of each half is 29.5". I have plenty of material to cut off but would like to utilize as much span as possible to end up with a relatively high aspect ratio wing. I have several of these to experiment with. Also I have some larger cox engines still unused such as a medallion 15 and enya 15 but would like to use the smaller sized norvel first. I would like to fly on longer lines( around 45' maybe longer) and have the plane fly similar to larger flapped ships. OK guys load you weapons and fire at will (poor Will).
Gordon Tarbell AMA 15019

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: max wing size
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 08:58:57 AM »
For the Norvel .061, a lightweight, un-flapped stunter could be as large as 275 sq in.  Lee Strickland has had great success with his Ringmaster 250 (sq.in).  Keep the weight under 10 ounces dry.

If you go flaps, I would keep it under 240 square inches.  The Baby Pathfinder at 235 sq.in. is a great flying plane with the Norvel.  The weight better be under 14 ounces for acceptable performance, and I have seen one at 11 ounces that flew superbly.

My own Sky Sport is 180 sq.in., 8.5 ounces and is way overpowered with the .061 (but it punches through any kind of wind!)
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline dave shirley jr

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 11:28:24 AM »
Gordon
i would go with larry's sugestions.
the norvel is a good engine but not anyway near the performance of the cyclon that i used. (its ukraine made by the way)
i have used a norvell on a freeflight model and there is no comparison when switching to the cyclon.
my 1/2A was powered by a .049 cyclon and is 315 squares for reference.
good luck.
Dave  jr.

Offline Gordon Tarbell

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 09:39:50 PM »
Thanks Larry and Thanks Dave, good info, it gives me the ball park numbers I was looking for. I will have to save this particular foam set for a bigger power plant. If I cut it down for the wing area mentioned then I would lose the high aspect ratio I had hoped to take advantage of.
Gordon Tarbell AMA 15019

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here