News:

• May 27, 2024, 06:21:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Five Years in Coming  (Read 7110 times)

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Five Years in Coming
« on: May 23, 2024, 02:53:04 PM »
Five years ago a member of the Cox Engines Forum posted about a horribly abused Cox TD .15 for sale.  It looked like it had been sitting out in a field for about a decade.  I bid on it and got it for $11.

It sat in a baggie until late last year.  I disassembled it and started looking for rebuild parts.  I had looked at what it would cost to do it back in 2019, and it would have cost $85 in parts.  I put it off for later, but now there are not enough parts to buy online available to rebuild it.  So, I decided to give it the same treatment that I did on the bladder conversions I previously posted here on .049 and .09 Medallions. 

It was cheap and easy, as I only had to buy a $13 Medallion .15 venturi body from MECOA.  I used a normal Cox .049 product engine NVA I had, soldered into a brass tube the same as on the previous conversions.  I was hoping to get somewhere between Medallion and TD.15 RPMs as this is a hybrid.  Initially I was only getting 11,400 RPM.  Instruction sheets for the TD and Medallion say that on an 8x4 prop I should get 13.8K on a Medallion and 15.7K on a TD.  I opened up the throat of the venturi and ran it today.  I am now getting 16.4K on the 8x4 prop.  I’m calling it good.

So, if you ever find yourself with a TD.15 and no venturi parts, this is one  way to go.

Mark

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
Re: Five Years in Coming
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2024, 09:09:48 PM »
That's a nice restoration. What kind of prop is that?

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2024, 09:21:26 PM »
Mark,
That is just remarkable work!

Do you remember there was chatter on CEF about using the AP .061 carb on Tee Dee .049 bodies? In fact Juan in PR has one he's getting ready to try. I seem to remember it was a matter of bushing the smooth case carb with an internally smooth/externally threaded bushing to replace the Tee Dee venturi and spray bar.

I wonder if the AP .09 carb would work on Tee Dee .09s...and if AP .15 carbs would work on the Tee Dee .15s. I may have carbs from those two APs kicking around. Care to trade measurements?

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2024, 07:54:58 AM »
Motorman, that's a Master Airscrew 8x4 prop. The Cox instruction sheets listed speeds for four props: 7x6, 8x3, 8x4, and 9x3.  I figured I'd pick a prop in the middle for testing, and I didn't have an 8x3, so the MA 8x4 it was.

Jim. I remember discussions about the Norvel carbs, but I've never experimented with them myself.  I'm an unabashed Cox fanboy.  I've acquired a few Norvels over the years, but I haven't really done much with them.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here