Building Tips and technical articles. > 1/2 A building.

Finally flew my Golden Hawk -- again

(1/2) > >>

Wayne Collier:
The kit arrived on April 20, 2007.  The plane was finished June 15, 2007.  It made its first flight early yesterday morning September 8, 2007.

The airplane flew well.  It didn't seem super maneuverable but that could have been the pilot.  Round and round, up and down was no problem.  It did seem really fast.  On 35' lines it still seemed spin me around pretty fast.  It didn't seem to have any line tension problems so I may try 42' lines next time.  I only managed one loop and it wasn't real pretty.  The plane turned so wide that I was afraid to attempt a wing over for fear that I wouldn't be able to pull out in time on the way down. I may need to make some adjustments to improve turn rate.  Inverted wasn't successful because the engine would loose power.  I may need to adjust the fuel pickup.  I know I have some trim issues but all in all the plane did well for its fist time out.  The airplane seemed not to glide well.  When the engine quit it came on down.  I didn't make a single pretty landing, but at least I didn't destroy anything.  I broke my only Cox 5x3 prop on the first attempt.  I made several flights with a Master Airscrew 6x3. Hoping to get back at it soon.

LARRY RICE:
No0one evers reads what I write. Landings are done like this: Engine quits...nose down to maintain air speed......pull out just above the ground.

Check you balance point, a little weight in the tail will make it very responcive.
Larry

Robert McHam:
I was also thinking that the CG may need changing to get a better response. I agree with Larry that hardly any of the hollow logs glide well though some admittedly do a little better than others.

I just got my Golden Hawk and man -o - man am I impressed with the quality of this kit!

Robert

Wayne Collier:

"Landings are done like this: Engine quits...nose down to maintain air speed......pull out just above the ground"

I actually understand the technique.  Lack of recent practice and lack of skill combined with flying over grass resulted in no pretty landings.  I was taking off from a patch of dirt.  The airplane climbed really easy.  I found myself holding a little down elevator to keep it flying level.  Currently the airplane balances about an inch behind the leading edge.  As I think about it, I wonder if I may have been over controlling -- moving the elevator so far up or down that it was acting like a brake. Maybe a slight bit of down thrust on the engine would help the trim.  I am pleased with the airplane and hope to get some good practice with it. I am hoping that I can give it another go this Saturday.  My fourteen year old is happy to help me launch but so far he has refused to give flying CL a try.  Maybe someday.  I works out though, he tags along doing things I like and I make it a point join him in some activities that he likes. 

LARRY RICE:
WAY TO GO...POP!!!  #^
LARRY

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version