News:

• May 18, 2024, 05:52:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Newest Addition to the Fleet  (Read 1129 times)

Offline John Tomlin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Newest Addition to the Fleet
« on: July 02, 2011, 01:19:50 PM »
Here is my newest addition to the fleet.  It's called a Stink Bug and I flew it the other night for the first time.  Nice and solid and grooves well.  Any size loops no problems and the lines don't get slack on 3 consecutive loops.  Real sweet flyer.  I thought the Jumping Bean was one of the best fliers but I think I have a new one.  The Bean is too twitchy.

John

Offline Karl Knipper

• Ensign
Re: Newest Addition to the Fleet
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 04:00:55 AM »
Nice Plane Tom. It looks pretty sleek. I like the colors of the bird it must show up nice. Could you tell me where you got the plans for this?. I would like to build one for my fleet.
Cheers
Karl

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 04:31:04 AM »
         John, I pulled my Jumping Bean out recently and I felt the same thing about it. My father built the plane in the late sixties and it sat around since then. Upon inspection I noticed a few things like elevator surfaces being over controlled, wing warps, and cg issues. Of course I flew it first before really inspecting it. It was a handful to say the least. I believe most of us figured that more elevator was always better utilizing the furthest hole out on the bellcrank. This was the case in my Jumping Bean. This really helped calm mine down. to where I could control it without over controlling it. I used foam wheels where the original woodies that came with the kit probably would've made for a better balance point. After a few mods and some extensive heat gun work on the wings, the plane was really flying well. One problem I can't fix is that the trailing edge is glue on in a downward position on the outboard side which is causing the wing to fly tip high. I've twisted the wing to compensate, but I really want to fix that problem. The Ambroid its glued together with shouldn't be too hard to break free. I have three 1/2a's that are my fav. The Baby Tomahawk, Jumping Bean, and the Baby Flite Streak. Ken

Offline John Tomlin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 05:59:57 AM »
Karl,

A fellow modeler sent them to me from Australia and I am in the process of getting permission to using it.  I want to laser cut a short kit.  I have my own laser and 1/2 A's are perfect size for it since the longest I can cut is 14 inches.  I will keep you advised.

Ken,

I cut the landing gear off mine since all it did was make it flip over on it's back trying to break the rudder.  That may have caused a tail heavy condition.  I will look into it.

Thanks Guys,

John

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 08:07:20 AM »
Knneth, it is what I call a coke can cure.  I don't like breaking joints loose.  I take a coke can an make a trim tab to glue on the outboard wing.   Had to do that to several planes as they were steamed back to being straight and checking as being straight, but still flew either high or low.   The trim tab takes care of the problem.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline John Tomlin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 08:03:34 AM »
Karl,

I sent you a PM.

John

Offline Karl Knipper

• Ensign
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 01:39:34 PM »
Received. Thanks :)

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 01:43:59 PM »
I think it is common for 1/2 A airplanes to be balanced too far back for stable flight.  I have had 1/2A stunt airplanes, balanced on the front of the leading edge, which would fly a nice stunt pattern.  In the "Teenie Genie" article this is called "centrifugal stability". ::)  I don't think most 1/2A airplanes should balance more than 10% MAC back from the leading edge.   S?P  I ordinarily use hand made wooden 4 inch bellcranks in 1/2 A stunt airplanes.  Yes, getting them to fit into a 6 inch chord wing is a trick. H^^

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here