News:

• April 23, 2024, 01:44:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Don’t overlook the basics  (Read 771 times)

Offline Wayne Collier

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Don’t overlook the basics
« on: October 31, 2020, 08:28:04 PM »
I’ve got a cox mix and match that’s been my favorite engine for many years. Recently I gave it new gaskets, new reed, new cylinder, piston, and glow head. I also put a bright yellow prop on it to go with the paint scheme on the model I intend to use it on.
I tried running it today and was frustrated at how problematic it was. I could feel it try to fire when I slowly turned the prop. It would fire and stop abruptly. When it did start it would only run 15 or 20 seconds and abruptly stop. It vibrated fiercely when it ran. Seemed like a hard backfire was stopping it. After several minutes of building frustration I stopped to think the situation through.
The engine had been a good runner for years. It dawned on me that the piston and cylinder was new and not broken in and should be treated that way.
I suspected the prop was bad out of balance so I changed it. I also changed the glow head. It started right up. I set it a little rich because of the new cylinder and piston. It ran rock solid and smooth till the tank was empty.
Basics - good prop, good head, good fuel  ...
Wayne Collier     Northeast Texas
<><

never confuse patience with slowness never confuse motion with progress

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Don’t overlook the basics
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2020, 10:13:46 PM »
Amazing how we have to relearn things as life goes on.   I've had to remember those things when I used a reset tool on the Cox piston and rod.  Now have the reset block and rod.  Still takes a little running to get back to good runs.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Oldenginerod

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2020, 10:20:20 PM »
Sounds like it was originally over-compressed.  Are the heads the same?  Depends on your nitro content, but it may have needed a couple more head gaskets.

Offline Wayne Collier

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2020, 02:00:32 AM »
Neither head was the TD type, but they may not have been the same.  Pretty sure the one I was using first burned out. I wandered if it was getting too hot?  I don’t plan on reusing it or the prop.
<><

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2020, 10:16:33 AM »
  Well by my count you changed three things, maybe four? When making changes to diagnose a problem, change one thing at a time so you know what change affected the condition. it may also have been just something in the way you assembled it the first time. At the end of your post, you mentioned the basics, "good prop, good head, and good fuel."  Did you also change the fuel?
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Wayne Collier

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2020, 10:35:09 AM »
I tried 15%, 25%, and 35% nitro before changing anything else. Same behavior on all three. Changed prop because there seemed to be a balance problem. Changed the glow head because the one I started with burned out.  Didn’t change anything else since the overhaul.
At any rate it runs good now.

<><

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here