News:

• May 20, 2024, 04:33:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Goldberg Lil Wizard Questions  (Read 2603 times)

Offline Jim Scott

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Goldberg Lil Wizard Questions
« on: October 10, 2013, 01:18:59 PM »
I have started an attempt at replicating a Lil Wizard.  Pictures in ebay ads and here and there on the internet provided some plan views of the parts, which were converted into rough plans.  So far I haven't been able to find anything about where the bellcrank was mounted, and on what (ply platform?).  Same for the exit point and separation of the lead outs.  Can anyone provide the measurements?

Bellcrank center back and out from wing l.e. and fuse;
Leadouts back from leading edge to front line and to rear line.

I built one of these back when attending Ordnance school at Aberdeen Proving Ground in 1965!  Also a Baby Ringmaster.  Long time ago.  Thanks.

Jim

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
Re: Goldberg Lil Wizard Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 08:01:14 PM »
I have an original in less than excellent shape.  Hopefully tomorrow.

Phil

Online CircuitFlyer

• Commander
    • www.circuitflyer.com
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 08:25:20 PM »
I too have a Carl Goldberg original from around 1972.  Certainly a little worse for wear but might be helpful.

Paul
Paul Emmerson
Spinning electrons in circles in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada DIY Control Line Timers - www.circuitflyer.com

Offline Heman Lee

• AeroManiacs
  • Lieutenant
    • AeroManiacs
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 08:31:50 PM »
I have started an attempt at replicating a Lil Wizard.  Pictures in ebay ads and here and there on the internet provided some plan views of the parts, which were converted into rough plans.  So far I haven't been able to find anything about where the bellcrank was mounted, and on what (ply platform?).  Same for the exit point and separation of the lead outs.  Can anyone provide the measurements?

Bellcrank center back and out from wing l.e. and fuse;
Leadouts back from leading edge to front line and to rear line.

I built one of these back when attending Ordnance school at Aberdeen Proving Ground in 1965!  Also a Baby Ringmaster.  Long time ago.  Thanks.

Jim

Bellcrank location is not that critical since the CG is probably so far forward (ahead of the L.E.)  Just mount if as forward as possible.  Most important is the leadout location.  The original model was approximately in the middle of the wing, but I would mount it more forward.  You are not going to stunt this model so it not that critical.

The Little Wizard is basically a Mouse Racer, the reason the leadout were so far back was because it was advertised on the box to fly at 52' line using a rubberband to prevent restrict the down movement.  So if you are not going to do that, the leadouts can go further forward (~1/2" behind the C..)

Offline Jim Scott

• Ensign
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 05:54:38 AM »
Terrific help; thank you all.  The control mount pictures are invaluable.  I can get it right now.

I have read how nose heavy they are.  I gave some thought to shortening the nose but decided against it.  The motor mount pieces have been lightened.  The cheeks will get hollowed as well.  The weight savings are probably too small to make a difference. 

Jim

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 07:19:17 AM »
Those pictures are good.

If you want to do more than circles and wing-overs they are nose heavy.  They can do lazy inside loops too.  The airframe is heavy already so loading up the tail with lead is not a good idea if you want to do more stunt.

Phil

Offline Bob Matiska

• 2020 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 05:39:47 PM »
Jim,

I just pulled the shrink wrap off my Lil Wizard kit and dumped out the contents. Some observations:

Goldberg shows the pivot point of the bellcrank 1 and 3/8 inches back from the wing's leading edge, but as we know, bellcrank posiition isn't what determines line tension, other factors do. The left wingtip line guide has the center of the front hole at 1 and 1/8 inches back from the leading edge, the back hole 2 inches back. The nearly 3 inch long piece of lead for the right wing tip weight measures in at half an ounce.

Goldberg called the heavy wing tip weight, plus a rubber band to give some "up" elevator if the lines went slack, its "Fail Safe" system. The rubber band is attached to the aft hole on the bellcrank and to a small piece of wire (I suppose a paper clip would do) and an included balsa gauge is used to set the elevator up about 3/16 of an inch. The wire is then pushed into the underside of the wing and glued in place.

The system worked very well. If line tension was lost, the rubber band gave "up" elevator and the heavy tip weight banked the plane outwards to regain line tension. I flew my Wizard at a Scout jamboree near Clovis, NM, in 1976 in winds so heavy none of the R/C guys dared go up. I was using dacron lines about 40 feet long and although the plane came halfway in when the wind was in my face, it always went back out!

I see no balance point indicated on the plans, btw.

Happy flying,

Bob in NEPA
AMA 56267

Offline Jim Scott

• Ensign
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 08:48:04 AM »
Thanks, Bob, for the additional information.  I've got the wing shaped and have made up all the miscellaneous little ply pieces shown so clearly in Paul's pictures.  Yet to fashion are the cheek pieces.  I think I will end up just replicating the original as closely as I can - maybe even adding the rubber band.

Jim

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 05:54:19 PM »
Any chance you can get full size scans of the plans (and maybe kit too) made?  That would be super awesome.

Phil

Offline Bob Matiska

• 2020 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 07:09:13 PM »
Phil, if I can get it done at all, it'll be at least a week. I'm heavily involved in the disposition of my father's estate. Closing on his house is set for next Wednesday, if all goes well.

I'll experiment with scans of parts on my HP  4-in-one printer. Might have to go somewhere to get the plan scanned. Any suggestions on file format? Not sure what options might be available...

Bob in NEPA
AMA 56267

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 10:48:30 PM »
A PDF is pretty easy to handle by most. 

If you don't mind risking pencil/ink on the wood trace the parts, unless it is printwood...then scan them directly.  I don't remember what my kit looked like, I was 6 at the time and Dad and I built it at the dining room table.

Phil

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here