News:

• May 09, 2024, 08:44:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: engine mounting  (Read 837 times)

Offline philip metzner

• chevyiron420
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
engine mounting
« on: December 28, 2009, 09:07:23 PM »
  I think i saw a picture of a profile plane with beam mounting, the had the engine mounted with the cylinder toward the left side rather than the right. Do you think it would cause any problems if i were to do this on my baby ringmaster project? My little merlin is pretty long and im having trouble finding the room for the engine and wedge tank on the nose.

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
Re: engine mounting
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 09:19:16 PM »
Phillip, Larry Renger who used to work for Cox, explains this in his thread here:
http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=15014.msg137379#msg137379

Robert
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Offline philip metzner

• chevyiron420
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 10:22:23 PM »
Phillip, Larry Renger who used to work for Cox, explains this in his thread here:
http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=15014.msg137379#msg137379

Robert
Thanks Robert, it sounds to me like it wont make any difference. That will help a lot. <=

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 10:51:33 AM »
Thanks Robert, it sounds to me like it wont make any difference. That will help a lot. <=
I don't think it makes a difference whether the cylinder points left or right (and down only matters for flooding when you start, really).

Putting the tank on the opposite side of the plane will have a big impact on the mixture as you fly, particularly if the engine doesn't have much suction.  The centripetal effect will tend to force-feed fuel to the engine if you have tank on the inside and carburetor on the outside, or starve it if you go visa-versa.

What about burying the tank in the wing a bit?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 06:38:37 PM »
Phil, Tim,
Having similar concerns,
I tried the inboard tank location on a Norvel .061 powered R'Master 207.
After actual test flying, I would not hesitate to use this configuration on future profiles. It flies great! No engine run problems! see pic.
Roger V.
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 06:56:40 PM »
What matters a lot on 1/2a or .061 engines is the length of the fuel feed line! A half or 3/4 inch can make a big difference in the way it draws fuel!! Inboard tanks will work fine if the feed line length is kept at a minimum.
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here