News:

• March 28, 2024, 01:22:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cyclon .061 powered Stunter  (Read 1642 times)

Offline Chuck Matheny

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Cyclon .061 powered Stunter
« on: September 11, 2020, 12:14:34 AM »
Hello all..!
Here is a Cyclon .061 Stunter that I fly on 50 foot lines. The lines are 20 pound test Spideline fishing line.
I use a 5x3 APC prop and estimate the thrust is over 20 ounces at 33,000 rpm.
The wing has 40 inches of span, 10 inches at the root and 6.25" at the tips
The model weighs 10 ozs RTF minus fuel.
I use a combat style fuel bladder..3/4 oz of 10% nitro fuel is enough fun for 1 flight.
4 inches from the firewall to the wing LE
4.5 inches from the wing's TE to the elevator hinge line
The model looks similar to a "FORCE" in the profile view.
For the control rod / push rod I use the inner hole on a Fox "small" bell crank and the last hole on a tall DuBro control horn. 1/16" brass wire for a pushrod with a threaded adapter soldered on.
Oh yeah, I use a pair of #2 flat washers behind the engine's firewall mount for out thrust and the leadouts are raked back 4" to 4.5" from the LE at the wing tip.

Offline Chuck Matheny

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Cyclon .061 powered Stunter
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 10:23:01 PM »
It was such a nice drizzly day to get the plane figured out a little bit and to get a new camera zero'd in as well.

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2020, 11:42:45 PM »
Wow!

Ok, after watching the video I get the "3/4 oz. is enough fun" deal.

You're going to have to be careful walking thru the woods now, though and watch where you step. Probably scared the crap out of Bigfoot.....

That little bugger shur do go!

The Divot

Offline Chuck Matheny

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 12:14:30 AM »
Hi Dave..!
It is amazing to see how much flying you can do with just 3/4 of an ounce of  fuel.

Offline Chuck Matheny

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2020, 10:51:29 AM »
I would have bet a beer that the handle was already adjusted for this plane after the last time it was flown. I guess not. To make matters worse, I guzzled a "Tall Boy" while getting set up to fly.
It took FULL DOWN just to keep the model from crashing and there was too much pull to do an inflight adjustment.
Watch the whole thing if you enjoy seeing a fellow flier suffer.
A 1 minute flight that seemed like 5. That's the first time I've ever had to empty an entire bag upside-down.
I wonder if flying at this speed "backwards" made me a little bit younger...?

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2020, 11:15:04 AM »
After watching this video it took a minute or two to turn loose of the arms of my chair.   What are you using to do the video? H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Chuck Matheny

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2020, 06:46:20 PM »
After watching this video it took a minute or two to turn loose of the arms of my chair.   What are you using to do the video? H^^

Hiya John..!
I clocked the model at 90 mph based on 8 laps equaling almost a 1/2 mile. 19.7 seconds to do 8 laps..... n~
The camera is a Canon VIXIA HFR300 mounted atop a Schwinn Bike Helmet
I used a piece of 3/4" x 1/2" maple to give the camera a flat surface to mount to and on the helmet side of the maple I cut a curve that matches the contour of the helmet.
It's a pretty comfortable set up.
I like this camera compared with others I've seen because there isn't any fish eye distortion in the peripheral view.

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2020, 12:22:09 AM »
Still chuckling after watching that flight....

Sorta like F2C in the woods...? Except solo?

As far as going backwards, I figure if Ferris Bueller can undo mileage on a Ferrari that way, why can't a control line guy turn back his clock--if he doesn't have a heart attack first?

Speaking of cars, I saw something today I had a little trouble believing. I had a leak in my kitchen plumbing and the local hardware store was closed. So off to Home Depot. Parked in the Depot lot was a Lamborghini in racing colors, sponsor stickers and numbers. (A lot like the one in the picture I found, except this one had a T-top.) It barely came up to my waist, but you could fit small children into the aft cooling ducts. It looked lethal. But I gotta ask you, if a guy can afford a Lambo, why the heck is he in Home Depot buying home repair junk?

The Divot

Offline Chuck Matheny

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2020, 12:58:14 AM »
They are certainly awesome...but you would need to have an intimate knowledge of all the pot holes, speed bumps, lumpy driveways, etc...or else put up with repairing the underside of the car all the time. Which is probably why that guy was at Home Depot...to get duct tape and gorilla glue.
One of the fanciest race cars I ever saw on the street was a Chaparral. I followed the driver until he parked it so I could get a closer look. The ones I saw on TV in competition had fuel injected Big Block Chevys, but the one I saw that day in person had a Porsche engine.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2020, 06:17:29 PM »
  Hi Dave;
    Looks like that Lambo wants to be a Ford GT-40 when it grows up!

Hi Chuck;   Was it a real Chaparral or was it a kit car of some sort?  Some of those kit cars a pretty authentic looking. Not the same with out the big block and those velocity stacks!!
    I like the looks of the model. Looks like it grooves well in the video, just way too fast!! If you ever make plans available, please let us know!
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Chuck Matheny

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2020, 12:12:37 AM »
Dan it was so many years ago...I don't recall. I guess a reproduction Chaparral would be fiberglass and the original sheet aluminum...?
Not too many years ago I was curious and found that Chaparrals were still being made. Imagine how to couple a 600 HP 427 to the rear wheels is pretty expensive.
I haven't drawn up the model...but I could post a thumbnail sketch with the most critical dimensions.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here