News:

• May 23, 2024, 09:33:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Skyray formation  (Read 1249 times)

Offline Jeffrey Olijar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Skyray formation
« on: August 16, 2009, 03:12:34 PM »
I have had this idea for awhile now and decided to clean out my scrap box and build it.  the rear two skyrays will be the elevator and I will have the .049 mounted in the back in between the middle two in a pusher configuration.  So far the plane or rather planes weigh 2oz.  I just thought I would share my progress with everyone.  I have a few concerns mainly making it so it can pass a pull test.  Also I am not exactly sure where I want my center of gravity to be as I have never done a pusher before.  
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
Re: Skyray formation
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 05:06:54 PM »
I like!

Robert
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 03:28:16 PM »
Somewhere I saw a pic of a similar setup, using "Blue Angels" models or something similar, I think just 4 of them though.  Very clever, interesting look in the air.  It can work.
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline Jeffrey Olijar

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 05:01:45 PM »
it was in model airplane news in the 70's-80's?  I remember seeing it when I was a kid (no im not that old but I did look through them when I was a kid)
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 06:05:06 PM »
I AM THAT OLD,,,OLDER AND I REMEMBER IT TOO....SOMETIMES.
LARRY (HOW DO YOU MAKE THESE DAMN CAPS GO AWAY?)

Online Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 06:50:07 PM »
Treat each model as the sum of its total area and note its position, counting the midpoint of the wing chord as the location of that bit of area.  Figure out the center of all the areas (a good guess will do).  Measure the frontmost to rearmost area centers, and put the cg 10% of that distance ahead of the center.  That should be a safe CG.  I am sure you will find that you need the engine as a tractor on the front plane to achieve this.

As a final test, tie a string to the model at that point, if needed, steady it with a stick from one of the wings (rubber band everything together) and swing the thing around in the air.  If it flies smoothly it is OK to fly, if it hunts or, worse, flops around, you need the CG farther forward.

I have successfully trimmed a variety of flying wings, including forward swept ones this way.  Never a bit of damage on the first flights!  And I do have a free-flight .010 formation of 4 Guillows gliders that flies just fine.  The engine is on the front model, and ff models tend to balance more aft than c/l.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 11:28:56 PM »
  Here is a link to the Flying Lines site- with a picture of a diamond 4 formation flight. I think this set-up had a throttled .10-.15 on it.  Bill Darkow flew it- he might have some advice for you, he likes the unusual and different.

http://flyinglines.org/chehalisairfair.09.html
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here