News:

• March 28, 2024, 08:05:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cox T D 049  (Read 818 times)

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Cox T D 049
« on: March 07, 2021, 02:12:04 PM »

Gotta Cox T D 049 with a Medallion 049 crank, should I use the instructions with the Medallion to get it running, if not what would be a good starting point with the needle, I am running 20% N with11% Syn and 11% Castor in it?  Thanks
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Cox T D 049
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 02:17:02 PM »
Start the engine like any other Tee Dee or Madallion.  Just open needle enough to get fuel draw and once started needle in.  Don't expect high RPM like the Tee Dee crank shaft. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2021, 04:50:42 PM »

Thanks Doc, I'm obliged.. H^^
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2021, 04:57:08 PM »
              What purpose are you doing that for?

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2021, 07:28:11 PM »

Ken, the Medallion crank is more mildly ported than the T D so it will draw and stunt run better.

I think that I will try to set the needle at what the Medallion sheet suggests and try to get it to run, and go from there.  But thanks for all the thoughts/suggestions, and don't stop sending them..   D>K    H^^
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2021, 03:05:02 AM »
               Gil, if your using the sprinkler venturi that's stock with the TD, your fuel draw is still affected. What many have done is switch the TD carb body to the Medallion carb body which in turn has a choked down throat area due to the spraybar going through the center of it. Fuel draw is compromised using a TD when your tank shape is incorrect. If your using a wide tank on a profile, this automatically places you in a lean condition due to the engine requiring to overcome centrifugal force. Getting the tank as close to the engine as possible and keeping the fuel line as short and straight as possible offers positive results. If you can fit a longer narrower tank in width is the key. Uniflow can also assist to a degree but certain tank shapes like a wedge doesn't always serve favorable using uniflow. I believe in my opinion that it can cause a lot of turbulence at the uni pipe. When mounting a tank on a profile, you can also sink the tank into the fuse by cutting out the doubler on the inboard side and also shimming out the front of the engine with a wedge. I have also jacked the spraybar assembly off of the plastic carb body using glow plug washers to help move the spraybar assembly further outboard. While glow plug washers don't appear very thick, two of them can help combined with engine offset. Unfortunately, the length of the venturi is not very long so not many threads are into the soft plastic.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here