News:

• May 07, 2024, 01:55:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/2a name that plane contest  (Read 6199 times)

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: 1/2a name that plane contest
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2008, 10:02:32 AM »

« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2008, 09:50:29 AM » Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok, I got to look more closely at things and I still am quite satisfied with the wood stock and materials. The hardware is quite extensive and everything one could possibly need to complete the model is provided aside from the leadout wire.
One thing I have not been able to locate however are the set screws for the wheel retaining collars. The wrench to tighten them is there but no set screws.

There is one minor error in the instructions. I do not want to seem overly critical but I do assume you want as much feedback as possible.
In step six (6) the instructions tell you to glue the elevator to the fuselage.
I know that it should read "glue the stabilizer to the fuselage" or possibly the use of the term 'Stabilizer/elevator assembly'

Also I do like the wheel collars but have you considered the lighter, more simple wheel retainers like Sig sells? Sig part number SIGSH121

Robert

First the set screws, if no one screwed up, they should be in the wheel collars. The leadout wires should be taped to the landing gear card with the push rod. If any of these things are not there I will mail them to you.
        The wheel retainers from Sig along with smaller liter wheels go into our less expensive kits and our free flight kits; "Pee Wee Pup" and "Nomad". I feel that the wheel collars are a nicer touch.
        I will look into that error and change it on the next printing.
        You are right I do want to know if there is anything else that I can do to make this a great kit.
Thank you
Larry
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 06:55:27 PM by LARRY RICE »

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2008, 07:35:48 PM »
The set screws are in the collars, Larry. Tiny lil buggers are really hard to see while the collars are in the bag (I didn't want to open the bag just yet) and the leadouts are there also. An oversight on my part and I am very sorry I stated they were not. Please forgive.

Few kit mfg.s offer hardware as complete as this! Especially these days!

I also want to mention the accuracy of the wood parts which are cut out and not die cut. Not a worry if the sheets are crunched, for there are no sheets (for those who have never seen the inside of one of Blackhawk Models' kits)!!! Eache part such as the individual rudders, vertical fins, wingtips. stab, and elevator etc. is machine cut to shape and is exactly like its partner such as with the twin fins and rudders. To be of higher quality they would have to be sanded and covered but then it would cease to be a kit and be an ARF.

Once again, the quality and completeness of this kit could not be better.

Robert
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2008, 10:23:13 AM »
...or the first vertical take off plane but beauty is in the eyes of the beholder... Larry

Got to wondering if the XFV-1 or the XFY-1 came first. Found that BOTH were named "Pogo". An XFY-1 came out as a plastic RTF in the early/mid fifties. Don't know how well it flew.

Here's some info from online:
Two companies, Lockheed and Convair were chosen to provide prototypes. Both airframes used an experimental turboprop engine and both were designed to be tail sitters. On 31 March 1951 a Navy program for development of a propeller-driven vertical takeoff fighter was initiated with issuance of a contract to Convair for the XFY-1. A somewhat similar aircraft, the XFO-1 (later redesignated XFV-1), was ordered from Lockheed three weeks later as an alternate solution to the design problems. The Convair aircraft was unofficially--and probably inevitably--dubbed the Pogostick. Lockheed’s own VTOL never received an official nickname but, oddly enough, both aircraft soon came to be known interchangeably as Pogo, by public and insiders alike.

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here