News:

• May 07, 2024, 10:43:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: @#$@#$ THEIVES!!! (BUT it ended up well!)  (Read 2763 times)

Offline John Crocker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
@#$@#$ THEIVES!!! (BUT it ended up well!)
« on: October 05, 2007, 08:54:34 AM »
Well, took my kids to school and come home to find 2 planes (Green Giant and the Confederate Twin) stolen off my front porch!!!!!  didn't take the car battery, didn't take the battery recharger, didn't take any of the essentials for flying the planes, just the planes and the engines.  Even left my 2 coolers sitting there.

This tells me it was probably d@mn kids in the neighborhood, but I'll never see them again.  Only got to fly the Twin a couple times and lost almost $150 in engines between the 2 planes.

I'm at fault for leaving them out, but I just HATE a d@mn theif.  Just let me catch the little b@st@rd that did it.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 04:41:12 PM by John Crocker »

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: @#$@#$ THEIVES!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 09:51:42 AM »
If you find them, whup them one for taking my Baby Pathfinder and Swea' Pea from my garage a few years ago.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline John Crocker

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 10:40:11 AM »
Oh, it gets better.  I typed up a memo and put them on all the neighborhood mailboxes.  Half way through, I found the remnants of "The Green Giant",  Burned to Cinders!  Norvel Big Mig .049 beaten to a pulp with a hammer I guess.  Also found remnants of a BB gun near them.  Looks like the local punks had a late night party.  No sign of my twin and its two BRAND NEW .061 Wasps, maybe I'll get it back (doubtful), I feel certain its sitting in some kids room.

I'm not that pissed about the Norvel, had issues with it anyway, and not too mad about the Green Giant, it was on its way to falling off the proverbial beanstalk, but the Twin just PISSES ME OFF!!!!

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 03:49:11 PM »
I knew I should not have read this thread...

Ties my stomach in knots to find out about such things.

In one of my books written by Walter Musciano, he mentions why model building is so important to many especially the youth to help build character, provide a calming pastime and how many penal institutions and youth organizations, particularly those who have disiplinary issues, have helped their own by promoting model building by their members.
 Mr. Musciano also stated that returning military participants whom were encouraged by doctors, also have been helped because model building was a good way to help cope with life after tour of duty.

Whomever has done this would likely benefit greatly from our hobby, according to Mr. Muciano.
 Not saying that the rest of us were deviant but I hope you understand what I am trying to say.

These are troubled young skull fulls of mush in need of proper direction and molding...

My heart goes out to you... And them...

Robert

Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Offline John Crocker

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 04:39:15 PM »
I cant believe it!  I got the Confederate Twin BACK!  I typed up a letter saying what had been stolen and put it on all the mailboxes in the neighborhood.  Round 5:30 I got a call from a fellow up the street said he found it in his 10 yr olds room.

Drove up there , booms were broken, but the engines were fine.  Asked the little man where got it and he said he an a buddy took it.  I asked why, and he said he saw me flying it and thought it looked cool.  His buddy was the one who broke this one and torched my other one and beat up the engine when they could not figure out how to start them. 

I thought his father was going to kill him, but I said how bout this.  If you'd like to learn how to fly these, I'll be happy to teach you but he's going to have to help me rebuild the Confederate first. He really took to that.  Father wanted to call the cops, but I figure that would just send the kid down the wrong path.  I'm out a plane and an engine, but I never got that Norvel running right anyway.

They live a couple houses down so the boy came back to my house and he, my 7 yr old, and I started working on the repairs.  The father just came by and got him.  I showed him how to remove the monocote and we started cutting the broken parts out.

I did my good deed for the day, hopefully this young man will remember this.  He's supposed to come by every day after school until the plane is finished as his punishment.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: @#$@#$ THEIVES!!! (BUT it ended up well!)
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 06:00:21 PM »
Hey John,

Now you just need to write up a bill and give it to the kid's Dad who destroyed the other one.  At least you could recoup the money for your engine and such! 

And maybe, just maybe, the other Dad will come up with an appropriate means for the brat to repay you.  You got at least one "good guy" living near you.  The destructive one needs the help, an that might just be the problem:  that Dad might BE the problem.............
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline John Crocker

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 06:51:45 PM »
Yeah, I know who the kid and who his dad are.  They don't live in our neighborhood and frankly, I wouldn't confront the guy.  He's a little edgy.  But Michael (the kid who I'm working with) seems to understand what he did was wrong and that Beau (the other one) is not someone he should be hanging around.

Offline Stan Bidowski

• Lieutenant
    • Winnipeg Perfect Circle Flying Club
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 07:13:31 PM »
This sounds like a life in the making.  Can you imagine this kid years down the road,
if the hobby sticks?  He might be a world champ someday, with a story to tell about how
he started out. A tale of turning a bad thing to something great.  But working on model
planes as a punishment! 
Oh man, how times HAVE changed.

LL~

Stan
MAAC 17167

Offline John Crocker

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 07:55:15 PM »
Well, he's into football, tv, and video games so what the heck, maybe he'll turn out okay.  Stripping Monocote and tracing pieces for cutting is not the fun part of building in my opinion.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2007, 06:54:44 PM »
Wish I'd thought of the postbox solution.  Good going, and if I can contribute to the young man's model restitution, let me know!

The age range of modelers is geting older than 1 year at a time!  We need all the young blood we can addic...  um, snag... um attract as we can.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2007, 07:11:47 PM »
I believe that "what goes around, comes around", so you are doing a service for young people.  Hey, kids aren't all bad, no matter what we hear.  And, it is a good move to steer clear of major confrotations.  You just end up with your name in the paper.  Maybe this kid will help someone else down the road, or at least not end up as a bad statistic.  Good work. 
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2007, 07:33:24 PM »
Yeah, I know who the kid and who his dad are.  They don't live in our neighborhood and frankly, I wouldn't confront the guy.  He's a little edgy. 

That's what your local police department is for. Have them go confront the dad. Sounds like the dad is the reason the kid is the way he is. Poor parenting.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2007, 07:47:15 AM »
Even the most honest person can be led into crime if the bait is right. While in an ideal world we should be able to leave anything we want where ever we want--In reality it is best not to.
I'm sure someone will give me flack for this next statement but it must be said----Leaving model planes on the front porch is an invitation to get them stolen. To a large extent you are just as much to blame for the theft as the kids.

Locks on doors and gates and fences are there more to keep the honest - honest, than to keep a crook from getting in.

I'm happy that it turned out well. Too bad about the edgy second father. It's a shame that the fear of an escalating bad situation let's so many people off the hook.

This summer I left a plane in the backyard but out of sight from the street or sidewalk. I went inside to get my camera and when I came out there was a kid climbing over the fence. Funny thing was the gate was 3 feet away. I explained to the kid that I had a fence around the yard because I didn't want him in it. I told him that next time he'd do best to come knock on the door and ask permission.

We're beyond the age when we can leave the doors unlocked---
Frank Carlisle

Offline John Crocker

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2007, 04:41:03 PM »
To a large extent you are just as much to blame for the theft as the kids.

I agree entirely.

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2007, 05:05:11 PM »
There is a serious lack of empathy in todays world........

A Peeping Tom will kick your butt if you look at his sister.
  A burglar goes bonkers if you break into his car.
  A rapist will fight to the death for his mother's honor.

It's a shame that right and wrong are so often determined by the situation.

You handled your situation very well John. I hope that the kid and you turn this episode into a great control line story.
Frank Carlisle

Steve Kientz

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2007, 06:34:15 AM »
  Maybe your first recruit can persuade the other boy to "help" reconstruct your plane? before you know it you could be the 'commander" of a whole squadron of ex-future problems of society.Great job on not just saying "oh well".

Steve

Offline David Miller

• Lieutenant
  • CL, RC, Hunting and Fishing!
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2008, 01:04:34 PM »
Just found this story and was wondering??? Is there a rest of the story??? How did it turn out by now with the two kids. By the way I think you did a very nice thing to help that youngster.
MSgt (RET) David G. Miller
AMA 560263

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2008, 12:53:57 PM »
When my son was 14 or 15, one of his "friends" stoled a KK TD 049 from him.  Somehow my son got proof that he did it, even though the kid had gotten scared and destroyed the engine.  He paid my son for a new one rather than have my son go to his parents.  I didn't know any thing about it until it was all over.   

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here