News:

• May 10, 2024, 02:35:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bellcrank leadout question...  (Read 2257 times)

Offline jim gilmore

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Bellcrank leadout question...
« on: April 10, 2015, 10:31:13 AM »
The bellcrank for the 1/2A Magician I am building needs to be installed and I have a question of the leadouts...
Do I need anything at the bellcrank end or just run the bare cable thround the holes in the bellcraank and then either crimp with tubing or wrap with soft copper ?
I saw on larger models where the cable went through tubing that was bent to reduce wear against the bellcrank.
I am wondering if the bare cable is safe against the nylon bell crank or visa versa ?
What do you all think ??

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Bellcrank leadout question...
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 10:41:34 AM »
Are you going to put 1000 flights on the thing, or just fly it occasionally?  Competition or sport?

In a full-sized plane you need the bushed LO wire in a bellcrank if you expect to fly the plane several times a week for years.  I'm not sure that I'd advise a beginner with even a full-sized plane to bush the leadouts, because I'd expect a fatal crash before wear became an issue.

I suspect, but don't know for sure, that 1/2-A is easier on the bellcranks -- someone can weigh in and correct me if I'm wrong.  If I'm right, that's all the more reason to not worry about it.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 11:14:06 AM »
I personally just run the cable through the BC hole and wrap the loop. I don't use any sort of bushing on 1/2a stunt or sport models. I have several 1/2A planes older than me that are done that way also.

Offline Rosie Rosenau

• Tally ho
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 09:54:13 AM »
Oh hey Jim. I noticed a really cool idea in this issue. The first time I put a aluminum tube in the bell crank and then ran the cable through it and then bent it flat and crimped it in...

That being said my newest magicians bell crank has a brass eyelet installed in the lead out holes. Off hand I like that idea more for I will just snake the cable thru and crimp it right.
I can send a picture if you like
Richard "Rosie" Rosenau Jr, Yelm WA, USA

Offline eric rule

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 11:50:48 AM »
The nylon bell cranks we put in our kits come from SIG mfg. They do not have bushed lead out holes. When I saw this thread I decided to start pressing brass eyelets into the lead out wire holes in all of our nylon bell cranks. The biggest problem for a kit manufacturer like myself is that we have so many years of building experience that we tend to do things like this automatically. As such we often forget that not everyone has the same experience. Thank you for having this discussion as it helps me to make the kits better.

On a different note I have made all of the changes to the laser cut files that Rosie mentioned in his other thread. I will be cutting new ribs and the 1/4" spar support and mailing them off to Rosie and Jim. All it takes is a phone call or e mail to advise me of any issue with the parts of a kit. I want to supply a kit that is perfect in every way with parts that fit properly. These 1/2A Magicians are brand new and as such there has been no test build to identify fit and finish issues like we do with our stock kits. My thanks to Rosie and Jim for letting me know about these issues so that they can be corrected.

Eric Rule

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 01:00:54 PM »
Thank for listening and since i started I have been dragging my feet.
I have been staying at the ex's house so I have little room to work which suddenly got smaller when the dresser I was working on was giver to my daughter for her son/my grandson.

Long story short I now have a table in place of a dresser..yeah storage is a problem but more work space on top.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here