News:

• October 25, 2024, 04:44:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cox glow plug clip  (Read 45918 times)

Offline Dave Nyce

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • Flying
    • Revolution Sensor Company
Cox glow plug clip
« on: June 30, 2024, 11:06:02 AM »
Does anyone have any of the old Cox glow plug clips in your junk drawers? The kids seem to like them the best (but I like the hinged type better). I make them up with two D cells, as shown in the photo, and give them to the kids.
Dave Nyce   New Bern, NC 
AMA: L356

Offline Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Cox glow plug clip
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2024, 12:58:16 PM »
Dave

Got one, but wires are only 1” (short). Will fire it off in the mail to you.

Dave Mo…

PS

I find that these only fit the older glow heads. OK for new heads if you trim back the shoulder of the head with a thin rotary tool grinder disk.

D…
The packaging is the product (with apologies to Marshall McLuhan).

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2024, 02:40:59 PM »
Dave

Got one, but wires are only 1” (short). Will fire it off in the mail to you.

Dave Mo…

PS

I find that these only fit the older glow heads. OK for new heads if you trim back the shoulder of the head with a thin rotary tool grinder disk.

D…

On any  of the older Cox glow clips, the wires can be of some suspected quality. I have sent some off to various people over the years and got reports back that they didn't work. Turns out that the copper wire in these can corrode and not carry any current at all. They may show continuity with a meter but won't drive a glow plug. I have personally witnessed some that did not light a plug, but when another plug clip was attached off the same battery, they lit up nice and bright. They should come apart and just replace the wire with some better quality stuff. i notice the one in the photo has two red wires. Most I have ever seen have two colors, red and blue I think. Maybe these were changed out by some one?? I have emailed back and forth with Bill Bischoff about this I think, after I sent him a couple. Some may not work even if new and fresh out of the bag.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2024, 04:17:08 PM »
            One Cox clip is smaller than the other. All of my two wire red clips  are  for the .020 Pee Wee while the red and blue is for the Babe bee.

Offline Dave Nyce

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • Flying
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2024, 01:09:07 PM »
I always take them apart to strip and solder the wires, adding heat shrink for stress relief. I recently had 3 new ones, still in their package. Of the six wires for the three connectors, only one wire was making connection before I remade them. They were built with the copper straps only crimped over the insulation, instead of stripping the wire. But were fine after I remade them.
Dave Nyce   New Bern, NC 

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2024, 01:57:30 PM »
I found the same problem that Dave described. Perhaps it was thought that the crimp would pierce the insulation.

BB

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2024, 10:02:57 PM »
There is definitely such a thing as Bill suggests, normally called an IDC (Insulation Displacement Connector), but the piercing elements don't look like the photo of the Cox clip. The picture looks like a case of manufacturing processes getting out of hand due to either lack of training or damaged/missing tooling? (And no inspector, either....)

I was out flying today with a new guy, and we were using a Beginner's Ringmaster. My expensive glow driver wasn't getting it done, so had to resort to holding a DuBro ignitor on the glow head of the super-powerful Baby Bee. At least it was charged up and popped the engine right away....

Offline Dave Nyce

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • Flying
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2024, 03:56:31 PM »
Not everyone understands how wires work. I suppose they thought crimping on the red insulation was the right thig to do.

I once had the chief buyer at a former employer call me to say: "Dave, what are those things that come out the bottom of a transistor?"  Me: "Leads."  Buyer: "OK. Thanks!"

I found out later that a vendor had sent transistors with four leads (one connected to case), but they were supposed to be the normal type with 3 leads.
Dave Nyce   New Bern, NC 

Advertise Here
Tags: