News:

• June 15, 2024, 01:25:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: cox fuel ???  (Read 1662 times)

Offline philip metzner

• chevyiron420
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
cox fuel ???
« on: December 22, 2009, 03:32:33 PM »
   Many years ago i noticed many of my .049's ran much better on cox fuel than they did on other brands with comparable percents. This prompted me to call cox and talk to them about it. That led to many phone calls to fuel suppliers and somewhere along the way i talked to someone who said they used to mix fuel for cox, and i was correct in that there was a extra ingredient in cox fuel that others didnt have. He said it was ether an ignition improver, or a combustion enhancer, i dont remember which. Could it be amyl nitrate, the same stuff in diesel fuel?

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
Re: cox fuel ???
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 04:13:23 PM »
Definitely NOT Amyl Nitrate. My best guess is Propylene Oxide.

(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline philip metzner

• chevyiron420
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 04:16:57 PM »
Definitely NOT Amyl Nitrate. My best guess is Propylene Oxide.

It could be! I used to race karts and one of my competitors cheeted and used that in his fuel.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 04:17:44 PM »
Amyl nitrate is for diesel fuels, AFAIK it doesn't do any good in a glow fuel.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline philip metzner

• chevyiron420
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 04:41:57 PM »
Amyl nitrate is for diesel fuels, AFAIK it doesn't do any good in a glow fuel.
Hey tim, what does AFAIK mean? I here that alot.

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 07:18:04 PM »
Hey tim, what does AFAIK mean? I here that alot.

I'll save ya a reply... As Far As I Know
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2009, 10:35:14 AM »
I too hate acronyms.  The phone used a lot of them and we spent a lot of time trying to figure out what the educated people were trying to tell us. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2009, 12:44:40 PM »
Doc...What about ROFLMFAO? Acronyms can be a good thing!  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2009, 05:14:11 PM »
Getting back to the original question, Cox fuel formulae have been published repeatedly if you do a search.  However, in the Christmas Holiday spirit, here they are again:

Sport Fuel  15% Nitro 18% Castor Oil, (2% Lubricin in the Gallon Cans) and the rest Methanol

Racing Fuel 25% or 30% (depending on management's mood) Nitro, 18% Castor and the remainder Methanol.

I currently run 15% Nitro, 10% Castor, 10% Synthetic for Cox engines and 10,10,10 or 10,11,11 for everything else.

Since I fly competition aerobatics, I need total reliability, not expecially great power so the extra Nitro isn't needed.  One of the guys is using an AP Wasp with a drilled venturi, pressure fuel system and 25% Nitro.  It works for him!  230 sq.in. plane on 50' lines and completely reliable performance. (Current holder of the Leprechaun "Pot 'o Gold" Trophy)
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline dankar

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2009, 08:34:42 PM »
I have some sport jet fuel. 20% P/Oxide 80% alky. Could I add a small amount to 1/2A fuel and not mess it up? Also have some nitro benzene is some gun solvent. Just need a couple engines to try it out on. Have a can of Areo-dyne Dynamite 65% nitro fuel. Could mix up a real mean quart of liquid kick-ass.
Cheers,Dan

Alan Hahn

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2009, 09:07:03 PM »
   Many years ago i noticed many of my .049's ran much better on cox fuel than they did on other brands with comparable percents. This prompted me to call cox and talk to them about it. That led to many phone calls to fuel suppliers and somewhere along the way i talked to someone who said they used to mix fuel for cox, and i was correct in that there was a extra ingredient in cox fuel that others didnt have. He said it was ether an ignition improver, or a combustion enhancer, i dont remember which. Could it be amyl nitrate, the same stuff in diesel fuel?

Hmmm, I have no problem with normal 15-25% nitro fuels (like Sig) in my Cox engines. As long as I have 1) a good igniter, 2) everything is sealed up ok (like tank backs), 3) the reed isn't glued onto the holder by old castor, 4) the needle is not loose and leaky (piece of fuel tubing usually fixes this),  the engine will start and run every time. No extra bug juice is needed.

Offline philip metzner

• chevyiron420
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2009, 11:35:35 AM »
Hmmm, I have no problem with normal 15-25% nitro fuels (like Sig) in my Cox engines. As long as I have 1) a good igniter, 2) everything is sealed up ok (like tank backs), 3) the reed isn't glued onto the holder by old castor, 4) the needle is not loose and leaky (piece of fuel tubing usually fixes this),  the engine will start and run every time. No extra bug juice is needed.
Alan, i agree, my cox engines run good on most fuels as well. What im talking about is most of my older engines that have glow plugs instead of glow heads, like ok cubs, wen-macs, ect., would run much better on cox fuel. The fuel manufacture that i talked to said he was bound by a secrecy agreement and couldnt tell me what the extra ingredient was.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2009, 12:37:39 PM »
Sounds like the "Secret Sauce" as in Kung Fu Panda!
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Victor Jeffreys

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2009, 06:10:30 PM »
Actually gray can Wen-Mac fuel (the only fuel Wen-Mac marketed) was a much more potent brew than anything Cox ever put in a can. I know from the skin blisters and glue sniffers' high it gave me when I did a labial pressurization on a Perfect fuel tank to clear glop from a sprawbar. Only Fox Missle Mist was comparable back in my days as a street flying thug.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here