News:

• March 28, 2024, 08:09:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cox Cessna 150 Sure Flyer and a Cox Cessna 150 Aerobat EZ Flyer  (Read 2610 times)

Offline David Hourston

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Cox Cessna 150 Sure Flyer and a Cox Cessna 150 Aerobat EZ Flyer
« on: October 21, 2021, 09:15:31 AM »

Hi all,

I got a Cox Cessna 150 Sure Flyer and a Cox Cessna 150 Aerobat EZ Flyer. I would like to know more about these two models.

Why the Sure Flyer Autopilot was discontinued and replaced by the EZ Flyer design?
Besides the Autopilot, are airframes of both models the same?
How the original .049 Sure-Flyer engine compares to the EZ Flyer engine?

Thanks,

David
Cox Models! Best hobby memories...

Online Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
Re: Cox Cessna 150 Sure Flyer and a Cox Cessna 150 Aerobat EZ Flyer
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2021, 04:31:00 AM »
You will probably get great answers here, but if not, try you request on the Cox Engines forum

https://www.coxengineforum.com/

Great members, and a very wide variety of topics from Bears, food, music, Engines, CL and RC building/flying, tether cars, boats,

"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2021, 06:43:17 AM »
Hi all,

I got a Cox Cessna 150 Sure Flyer and a Cox Cessna 150 Aerobat EZ Flyer. I would like to know more about these two models.

Why the Sure Flyer Autopilot was discontinued and replaced by the EZ Flyer design?
Besides the Autopilot, are airframes of both models the same?
How the original .049 Sure-Flyer engine compares to the EZ Flyer engine?

Thanks,

David

I have no first hand experience with the Cessna 150, but if it is like some of the other Cox models that " changed" over their life span, there is probably no or very little difference. They may have just changed the packaging along with the name to help market the model in different parts of the country. The "autopilot" may have just been a rubber band to keep the elevator in a neutral or up position if line tension was lost. I think this line of models was one that was marketed through the Christmas catalogs and the packaging and names were made accordingly. Probably no difference in the engines either. I would second Fred's suggestion to run this by the guys on Cox Engine Forum also. It's free to join and lots of information there.
    Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
   Type at you
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2021, 04:38:34 PM »
The autopilot was a pendulum contol for the elevator. You could either fly with the bellcrank or the pendulum.

Interesting trivia. I designed that prop to waste power. The model should have been .020 powered but that would have been more expensive. So a gutted .049 system was used.

I am sure the basic model structure was the same. Great flying model, especially if you put on the 5x3 prop and longer lines.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline David Hourston

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2021, 08:39:40 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys!

I am sure the basic model structure was the same. Great flying model, especially if you put on the 5x3 prop and longer lines.

Larry,

The instructions call for 15 feet. How much more?

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2021, 10:49:24 PM »
The autopilot was a pendulum contol for the elevator. You could either fly with the bellcrank or the pendulum.

Interesting trivia. I designed that prop to waste power. The model should have been .020 powered but that would have been more expensive. So a gutted .049 system was used.

That is interesting! I have been messing with this stuff and looking for Cox models of any kind for a LOOOOONNNGGGG time and just never see any from that series at my usual toy show haunts and swap meets. Some times I wonder that because of their smaller size they seemed more disposable to people?? If I run across a Cox model of any kind U usually pick it up if it's cheap enough just for the engine for parts. I was never really attracted to that series of models, I guess I was spoiled by the Stuka, Spitfire, Mustangs and such. Now I wouldn't mind finding one just to try flying it!
  Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2021, 08:09:54 AM »

[/quote]

I would go for 30’ of 10 lb test Spiderwire.

DesignMan

Offline David Hourston

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2021, 08:20:10 AM »

I would go for 30’ of 10 lb test Spiderwire.

I have 20lb. Will it work fine?

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2021, 08:53:03 PM »
Close enough.

DesignMan

Offline David Hourston

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2023, 04:52:26 AM »

Finally, I was able to fly the Cessna 150 Sure Flyer.
The Autopilot works amazing! Excellent job Larry!
It does make quite a difference for a newbie who gets dizzy easily. The option to stop turning around and keep flying the model by circling your arm, was a clever idea.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 05:21:47 AM by David Hourston »

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2023, 11:18:47 AM »
The option to stop turning around and keep flying the model by circling your arm, was a clever idea.

?????

Offline David Hourston

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2023, 12:48:49 PM »
?????

I meant stop turning following the plane while it’s flying.

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2023, 10:01:53 PM »
Still don't understand.  Does that mean you can just stop and raise your hand over your head and the plane will just circle around you?

Offline David Hourston

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2023, 06:43:46 AM »
Still don't understand.  Does that mean you can just stop and raise your hand over your head and the plane will just circle around you?

Yes :)

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2023, 11:30:30 PM »
Okay.  Now I gotta have one of these...

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2023, 12:49:22 PM »
I vaguely remember having one of these...and being mildly disappointed with the "auto-pilot." It was my last RTF plastic plane. Looking back now, it may have made a more favorable impression had it been my first plane. I did like the trike landing gear, and it flew much better than the Wings models...twin-rudder F-14 lookalike in blue (and later the white one) and the Mantis pseudo V-tail in red (and later a yellow one).

I will admit to being surprised and appreciating how well it flew compared to the Wings series. It did short take offs pretty well.

Then I jumped into a Golden Bee powered Stuntman 23, followed rapidly by a Lil Satan. Those two taught me more about flying model airplanes than the several  RTFs that landed under the Christmas tree over the previous few years.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2023, 03:37:29 PM by 944_Jim »

Offline David Hourston

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2023, 09:16:41 AM »
I vaguely remember having one of these...and being mildly disappointed with the "auto-pilot." It was my last RTF plastic plane. Looking back now, it may have made a more favorable impression had it been my first plane. I did like the trike landing gear, and it flew much better than the Wings models...twin-rudder F-14 lookalike in blue (and later the white one) and the Mantis pseudo V-tail in red (and later a yellow one).

I will admit to being surprised and appreciating how well it flew compared to the Wings series. It did short take offs pretty well.

Then I jumped into a Golden Bee powered Stuntman 23, followed rapidly by a Lil Satan. Those two taught me more about flying model airplanes than the several  RTFs that landed under the Christmas tree over the previous few years.

I’m new to CL, but I’m an experienced rc flyer.

As you said, the model does fly pretty good. Take off predictable and fairly stable in the air. Great design.

Offline David Hourston

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2023, 09:50:01 AM »
Funny story…

I got the Cessna 150 on Christmas when I was 9-10 years old. Assembling the model, I got confused by the illustration of the instructions on how to connect the fuel line. I ended connecting the fuel line from the back of the backplate, at the hole with the mesh, to the fuel tank, lol.

Cox updated the illustration in the later Cessna models. I presume others got confused as well. Pictures of both illustrations attached.

Offline David Hourston

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2023, 06:02:19 AM »
The Cessna 150 came with two type of handles. Cox changed from the first to the second shown.
What is the better of the two?

Thanks

Offline David Hourston

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2023, 06:46:49 AM »

The Cessna 150 uses a LH propeller. Where can I get a 5x3 LH prop that fit its engine?

Thanks.

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2023, 04:22:20 PM »
I just checked Cox International but saw no lefties:

https://coxengines.ca/?target=search&mode=search&substring=Prop&including=all

An alternative would be to mount a right-hand prop and hand propping, or changing the starter spring to right-handed.

Good luck finding a left hand two bladed prop. I "think" I may have a left hand 5x3 3-blade prop and am a trader first before selling parts.
I hope you aren't in a rush for the leftie. This is mid-week, so I won't be able to check until the weekend.

Regarding the handle, nothing beats an RSM/Renger 1/2A "exponential" handle. The fit-in-hand can be altered, and the stack of inserts provides significant line-width adjustability. At $10 each, it's a steal. My next RSM order will include two or three more.

https://www.rsmdistribution.com/index.php

Go to the left edge and click on "handles and lines," then go to the right and click on "control line handles." I won't fly with a plastic handle again.

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2023, 05:06:23 PM »
Okay.  Now I gotta have one of these...

Yeah, been looking hard at the Guillows 24" Cessna since this thread started...like I need another project. Hmmmph!

Offline David Hourston

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2023, 05:51:50 PM »
I just checked Cox International but saw no lefties:

https://coxengines.ca/?target=search&mode=search&substring=Prop&including=all

An alternative would be to mount a right-hand prop and hand propping, or changing the starter spring to right-handed.

Good luck finding a left hand two bladed prop. I "think" I may have a left hand 5x3 3-blade prop and am a trader first before selling parts.
I hope you aren't in a rush for the leftie. This is mid-week, so I won't be able to check until the weekend.

Regarding the handle, nothing beats an RSM/Renger 1/2A "exponential" handle. The fit-in-hand can be altered, and the stack of inserts provides significant line-width adjustability. At $10 each, it's a steal. My next RSM order will include two or three more.

https://www.rsmdistribution.com/index.php

Go to the left edge and click on "handles and lines," then go to the right and click on "control line handles." I won't fly with a plastic handle again.

Thanks for the information Jim.

Offline David Hourston

• Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2023, 07:29:11 PM »
I posted this in another thread I’m running but posted here too as it’s related to the topic.

Made a video of me flying the Cessna 150. I know lol  #^

Davehour flying his 1974 Cox Cessna 150 control line model

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here