News:

• May 10, 2024, 09:16:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/2A wheels....  (Read 2702 times)

Offline jim gilmore

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
1/2A wheels....
« on: March 25, 2015, 01:16:14 PM »
Wonder whom flys half A  and what the largest size you use is.
Considering 60 mm super mega light wheels  for a 1/2A magician. Not sure if they will work yet.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: 1/2A wheels....
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 01:32:57 PM »
I think it would make for a very strange looking plane.  I use the eFlight light wheels, but no bigger than about 30mm ('cuz that's what looks good).

If they still make roll-up bamboo blinds, I remember one of those working very well as something that can be laid over grass for a take-off space, and rolled to a very compact bundle when you're not flying.  Then you can use little wheels.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 03:23:46 PM »
Actually I have NO grass.... Pretty clear area...just not sure if small wheels will roll on a dry lake bed ...with some bumpy spots.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 03:48:02 PM »
I guess it depends on the bumpy spots.  Can you scuff them smooth, or bring a garden rake (which you keep in your capacious trailer) to rake them out?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline bob jablonski

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 07:38:37 AM »
It could be an interesting idea. Kind of like the new bush planes that Husky and Cub Crafter build.
Mr. Bob
Countyline Hobbies
Grovertown, IN.
574-540-1123
countylinehobbies@yahoo.com
www.countylinehobbies.com

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 10:16:10 AM »
It could be an interesting idea. Kind of like the new bush planes that Husky and Cub Crafter build.

It wouldn't render the plane unflyable unless it was already there -- but it would certainly add a lot of weight and drag.
AMA 64232

Offline bob jablonski

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 06:06:33 PM »
As long as the lines stay tight. It may slow the plane down a bit for a rookie. Looking at pictures of the real planes with the big wheels they look kinda funny beside a Cub or Champ but it gets the job done. Mr. Bob
Countyline Hobbies
Grovertown, IN.
574-540-1123
countylinehobbies@yahoo.com
www.countylinehobbies.com

Offline Wayne Collier

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 06:56:38 PM »
I've used the wheels that come with black hawk models and skinnier smaller ones that eons ago came with Carl Goldberg models on dirt many times with no problems - on take off at least.  Until I moved a couple of years ago I was flying 1/2a on a soft ball diamond near my house.  I used the line between home and first base for a runway but I would back up so that I landed in the grass when the fuel ran out.
Wayne Collier     Northeast Texas
<><

never confuse patience with slowness never confuse motion with progress

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here