News:

• March 28, 2024, 03:52:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cox 1/2A Product engine.  (Read 7161 times)

Offline GallopingGhostler

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Re: Cox 1/2A Product engine.
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2019, 03:31:59 PM »
I laid my mitts on a vinyl tubing setup from the EX (Cox) folks for the Babe Bee. It came with a skinny spring about one inch in length. I take it that this fine little critter is placed inside the pickup tube? Does it need to be worked into the nipple as well? Not sure why it's even needed. Any relevant enlightenment out there?

Dave, it keeps the vinyl tubing from collapsing or kinking over time to diminish fuel flow. You do not need to work it into the nipple. If it sticks a touch outside the tubing after installing, is fine, just leave it.

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2019, 04:09:56 PM »
George has your answer. The next thing to be sure of is that for a control line installation, the beveled end of the pickup tube is tucked just above the lower outboard tank retainer screw. There is a stiffening gusset on the backplate there that you can poke it under. The bevel should be oriented so that the end of the tube is open right down in the inside corner of the backplate. (Side to back corner.) If the spring is sticking out far enough to prevent tucking the pickup tube into the corner, either work the spring in farther, or snip off the piece that is exposed. The tanks are small, and you want "good to the last drop" operation.

Best wishes to Baraboo, where I understand they have the highest per capita of control line flyers anywhere in the nation--something like 1 in 12,000 is a CL fanatic!

Divot

PS--a perhaps redundant reminder:  if you ever replace a vinyl pickup tube on an engine with a plastic backplate, if the tubing has been on for a while and has become hard, shave down the tubing over the nipple before trying to pull/twist it off. Else, the nipple will break off the backplate. And the rebuild becomes a lot more pricey--or may end your day of flying.....

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2019, 04:27:51 PM »
if you ever replace a vinyl pickup tube on an engine with a plastic backplate, if the tubing has been on for a while and has become hard, shave down the tubing over the nipple before trying to pull/twist it off. Else, the nipple will break off the backplate. And the rebuild becomes a lot more pricey--or may end your day of flying.....

I've broken my share of the prized cast metal backplates. The earlier plastic pickup tubes harden with time, if you are not careful, the nipple will easily snap off, too. HB~> They require a careful coaxing, I've used a modeling knife to split the tubing at the nipple joint.  The caveat is these metal backplates are no longer available, requiring salvaging from another engine or replacing with an "inferior" plastic one. b1

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2019, 05:59:29 PM »
A torch should soften the vinyl enough to just pull right off. If not you can burn it off with no damage to the metal backplate. Do not try this with a plastic backplate! LL~
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2019, 09:17:28 PM »
Torch?  f~ I now have something kinder, gentler, a Harbor Freight electric heat gun. But just as you say, I wouldn't use it on a plastic back. ~~>

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2019, 11:38:58 AM »
What I use is a very small pair of edge cutters that I normally use for cutting cable ties and such.  Sold at the hobby shop for cutting plastic model parts off of the tree.  I gently clip the hardened side of the tubing away from the nipple and the tube pulls right off.  Like these from Harbor Freight:

https://www.harborfreight.com/micro-flush-cutter-90708.html

Mark

Offline Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2019, 03:16:01 PM »
Thanks, George and Dave, for the installation tips. No problem getting the old tube off the back of my metal plate version.

FYI, the spring did its job nicely. Just giving it the ol' eyeball test, the clear tubing at the short length provided (and needed) does in fact kink when installed correctly. However the spring prevents the kink from blocking the fuel flow. Nifty solution to a problem!

Divot, I have to complement you on your demographic calculation for my home town here as it is spot on!

All the best,

Dave Mo...
It’s a very strange world we live in, Master Jack.” (4 Jacks and a Jill)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here