News:

• April 24, 2024, 08:34:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: DT Foam Board is my Friend.  (Read 2865 times)

Offline Steve H

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
DT Foam Board is my Friend.
« on: November 04, 2013, 08:58:41 AM »
I am a tight wad and the Mrs. is even tighter so to keep everyone as happy as possible, the cheapest of materials are used. 1/2a being the smallest planes and only having about 90 feet of space in the back yard to fly, DT Foam Board is my best friend. I have built an Osborn platter, a profile white lightning and have on the table a full fuse and sort of built up wing White Lightning.
This one, a pseudo copy of the Musciano Golden Hawk, awaits the last few bits and the electric power I have used for all of them. Hextronik 2730-1500kv 12 amp speed controller, 6x4 prop and 370 lipo.
I love what all the competitors do on this site, I have learned a lot but are there any others that just like to put something in the air and fly it wherever without a pattern in mind?

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: DT Foam Board is my Friend.
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 09:27:34 AM »
That is so cool!  What foam board do you use?.  What type of glue?  and please post pictures of the electric setup.  And yes I also fly 1/2A for fun.  I never have flown the pattern.  I should learn but to date I am happy with a few loops, 8's, and some inverted flight.  I would like to get into 1/2 A electric so keep the pictures coming.

#^   #^   #^
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Steve H

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 11:11:46 AM »
John, a little more about the power stuff is in the post of the hollow log just a few below this one. It's all the same stuff. I use Dollar Tree foam board and depending on the plane I can build a plane or even 2 for a buck. The plane in the picture (Golden Hawk sort of) I used a KFm-4 type airfoil and attached the upper and lower portions of the airfoil with Elmer's contact cement. Found that little bit on an RC site I believe. The fuselage is just 2 sides, a top and bottom cut from the Dollar Tree Foam board and glued up with regular Elmer's white glue. I removed the paper from the inside parts of the fuselage and on the wing where it is laminated to save a little weight. I consider these models "disposable" while I am relearning how to build and fly. I cant seem to work on them as much as I would like as the Mrs. hates the things but does seem enjoy my company.  :)
One of the best things about the electrics, and I could list several best things, is how quiet they are. I was out yesterday with the White Lightning Profile for a couple flights in the back yard and the Mrs. never even knew the plane was flying just a few feet from the house. The dog doesn't even hear it!
I'm so glad I took the leap and got back into the hobby with the electrics. Now, to get a few of the 7 grand kids AMP'ed up about it!! #^

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 09:11:51 PM »
....are there any others that just like to put something in the air and fly it wherever without a pattern in mind?

Absolutely!

I love 1/2A, though I fly mine with smoke and noise. I like to make them go as fast as I can and freestyle stunt making it up as I go. It's exhilarating and relaxing at the same time. If you ain't grinning after a flight, you must be doing something wrong. I've been getting into pattern flying with bigger planes lately, but when I just need to decompress, I take the Babies out for a flight. I have a church courtyard across the street that's just big enough to cram in flights on 35' lines with a 2" pitch prop. Whenever I go out to the club field to fly the big ones on long lines, I always throw one of the Babies in the car too and fly on 40 or 45' lines with a more aggressive prop. They're real crowd pleasers.
Have fun.

Rusty

DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Steve H

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 06:37:24 PM »
Major Grins Rusty, even just thinkin about flyin!!!  ;D
 I have seen several of your videos and enjoyed them all. Maybe some day I will get to a point my flying is back to prime time viewing quality and post a video. :)

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 08:32:28 PM »
All foam planes do well as electrics. I have built quite a few over the last five years from half A to .36 size models. A good source of info is here http://www.rcgroups.com/foamies-scratchbuilt-428/

Offline Steve H

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 04:17:57 AM »
Yes John there is a lot of inspiration out there. This one may require a touch more than 1/2a power but total dry weight is only about 5 oz.
If nothing else, it will look cool flying!!!

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 03:31:54 PM »
Pictures of some of my creations. The TBF, B-390(the flying wing) and P-38 I consider 1/2A's. The Seafire is a 15 Carrier. The TBF and P-38 are $ Store foam, the other two Pink 3/8" foam

Offline Steve H

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 04:37:15 PM »
Nice John!
Question for you, I just started working with the KF airfoils. Could you make a comparison between a flat, a KF and built up wing as far as how much difference there is in flight characteristics for a control line planes?
Thanks.

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 08:06:00 PM »
Both the KFm and built up wing will have much more lift than a flat plate. Based on what I have seen the KFm and built up are equivalent. The step seems to create the turbulence needed for lift. FFers found this out years ago with turbulators.

Offline Steve H

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 02:19:13 PM »
Well, the wind was way too strong for 1/2a but non-the-less I ventured out with the slabs of foam. (Just couldn't wait!!) Using the make-shift spin up thingy I was able to become airborne. The plane preformed well, better than I thought it would especially with the wind sending everywhere. I was able to go inverted, do some loops both inside and outside and even a couple 8's although they looked a little more like scribbles in the sky. It needs a little less speed so the next one I will place the lead outs a little farther back. It's unfortunate I found out that even only 5 oz of mass will crush the foam board sides in a free fall from 15 feet up. Half my flying circle is over water/a pond and the power cut with the wind just coming into my face. hummm..... let the plane drop or backup into the pond??
Yep, disposable airplane.  :) A new fuselage is already on the cutting table.

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2013, 02:49:28 PM »
Well, the wind was way too strong for 1/2a but non-the-less I ventured out with the slabs of foam. (Just couldn't wait!!) Using the make-shift spin up thingy I was able to become airborne. The plane preformed well, better than I thought it would especially with the wind sending everywhere. I was able to go inverted, do some loops both inside and outside and even a couple 8's although they looked a little more like scribbles in the sky....
Hey, that's the great thing about 1/2A, you can make crazy scribbles and everybody thinks you're super cool and talented! **)
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Online Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2013, 05:37:09 PM »
Having followed this thread, and ending up next to a Dollar Tree store I bought a sheet. WOW! I calculated the density and it is 3.88 lb/cu.ft.

That beats just about the most unobtanium balsa you could ever find! THANK YOU FOR FINDING THIS MARVELOUS MATERIAL!
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Steve H

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2013, 07:09:09 PM »
I didn't find the  DT Foam board, It's been used for a while or two with the RC guy's. It is wonderful stuff and cheap too. I could only imagine the cost of the F-22 I posted in this thread built from balsa. It took 3 sheets of DT foam board. It wont fly though until I get in a lot more practice with these 50 cent planes.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 08:14:23 AM by PlainFreak »

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2013, 07:25:26 PM »
My 8 year old neighbor wanted me to make her a Kitty Cat plane. Here's the foam board platter complete with whiskers, eyes and a tail I made for her. The paint is blue/purple metal flake color changing Rustoleum.
My son said it looks more like a tick. **)

Rusty

DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Steve H

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2013, 04:48:24 AM »
Very nice Rusty and quite inventive. My attempt at the platter was a lot more simple but my 7 year old grandson flew it. With a 2s battery its very docile and a 3s, it still pretty docile but I can fly out a battery (3 minutes) in less than half the circle. I'm thinking that one of these cold winter days ahead when the grand kids are here with nothing to do, make up 4 or 5 of these, get out the markers and crayons and let them be creative.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here