News:

• May 22, 2024, 11:55:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cox .049 wrenches.  (Read 1154 times)

Offline George

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
Cox .049 wrenches.
« on: June 12, 2009, 11:30:05 AM »
On another thread, the subject of using the correct wrenches came up. Since some folks' introduction to 1/2A was by way of a bargain Sure Start, they may not know that wrenches even exist.

Pics 1 and 2 show how the wrench is used to remove or tighten the cylinder on a Sure Start. 

Pic 3 shows that you should use two wrenches to remove or tighten the glow plug.

Before cylinders had slots on top, cylinders were removed and tightened by inserting the slotted end of the wrench in the exhaust ports. Be very careful when doing this and make sure the wrench is inserted as far as it will go. Mishandling can cause a burr that is a pain in the neck to fix. Two wrenches were used to remove the glow head with these too.

At some time the transfer ports were enlarged which necessitated an increase of slot size. The wrench in pic 4 works on the Space Bug Junior but will not fit on the Black Widow cylinder. Pic 5 shows the old size on the left and the newer size on the right. Be VERY careful if using a newer wrench on the older cylinders.

While checking this stuff out, I noticed that if using the slot for the upper cylinder on the SS cylinder, I must remove the needle valve, otherwise I may break it off. Note in pic 6 how close the wrench is to the needle. This may not be a problem on your engine...depends which way the slot is positioned. You only need to move the wrench about 1/4 turn, then it can be turned by hand.

Some wrenches have the large slot on the side. I could not get that one on without removing the needle (pic 7).
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
Re: Cox .049 wrenches.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 11:39:29 AM »
Part two:

Some engines will not accept wrenches. I have some with narrow slit exhausts like the Sure Start...but no  slot to attach wrench at the top. Also have a couple with screening over the exhaust ports...also no slot.

For these, you can drill a cylinder size hole in a block of wood (pine or bass preferred), then cut the hole so you can clamp it around the cylinder.

Another way is to use a strap-wrench.

In any case, protect the cylinder and never, ever use a vise-grip or pliers!  n1

George

Edit: Type oh...
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 12:41:23 PM »
George, This is a great thread and a timely one at that.
I have heard it said that many of the Cox, and Testor RTF planes (just to name a couple of brands) were just set up to failure as, in some minds they just wouldn't fly. At least they supplied the wrenches when you got it!
Nowadays there are scads of engines floating around with no wrenches or glow plug clips. So many just don't know better.

These are great pictures and info regarding the wrenches.
The wrenches are getting hard to find for those who do need them When you do find them they are often in a mixed lot of other parts and junk that some don't have use for. It also drives up the cost of these little wrenches. They are being offered by some for about 9 or 10 dollars each and to someone who was given an engine or bought one for cheap it makes no sense to them to pay that much for one. 

There should be a way to make wrenches that work well without a big headache.

Robert 
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Offline ken cook

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 03:34:52 PM »
       For those that learned the hard way, I've found an easy way to fix the dreaded Cox burr. Over the years I've ruined many cylinders as Robert described. Even after years of valuable experience screwing up cylinders with the wrench in the exhaust port, I still managed to get one under the ole belt. To fix this I've found a certain size piece of brass K&S tubing which works well to resolve this. I believe its the 3/8 size. I cut it about six inches long and wrap masking tape around the top. The con rod can go inside the tubing at this point and the inside of the piston is slightly beveled. This may require more tape if the fit isn't snug enough. I then lap the cylinder using the brass tubing as a handle to hold the piston and I then apply some metal polish like Mothers or Simichrome in the cylinder as a lapping agent. I've had real good success at doing this. You can install the piston upside down to remove the burr if its a bad one as to not disturb the crown of the piston. I then wash the cylinder itself in hot soapy water I've trimmed a toothbrush to fit the cylinder and I use solvent for the piston rod assembly. I was concerned about how to get the water out of the ball socket joint. I've given some of the Surestarts this treatment prior to running. I've had some real scratchy feeling cylinders. This seems to help the break-in and initial vibration I've had with some of them. I follow up with the Davis Diesel stainless steel brush which claims to provide better performance due to fine crosshatching which provides a better oil film. The wrenches the Robert depicted are somewhat of a find today. I threw more of those wrenches out then I can remember. The full circle one as I call it fits the glowplugs perfectly and in addition fits the real backplate of the Tee Dee's as well. They fit the Norvel engine plugs as well. The black style which they made a semi-circle never worked well for me. The black style seemed to do the most damage for me. The older style that fit the port was thicker and rocked less as to not cause the burrs. Another problem to watch for is the older style Baby Bee,Golden Bee and also Tee Dee cylinder that had the thin walled base where it screws into the case. These over the years congeal with castor and when trying to remove distort. Um, I haven't found a remedy for this. This makes you sick when this happens. I now heat with a heat gun first. Ken

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here