News:

• March 29, 2024, 07:12:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cox 049 reed valve engine tips  (Read 1076 times)

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Cox 049 reed valve engine tips
« on: December 27, 2021, 11:54:50 AM »
For those that haven't seen this, its a great read on tuning Cox 049 reed valve engines. Not sure if i can figure out how to post it here.
 https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yAJj6GPC5KkabGx2H_ZHbNV9qwTfOe0c/view?usp=drivesdk

Let me know if it works.
 https://photos.app.goo.gl/UqcDgYnfsjh5FQfv8
« Last Edit: December 27, 2021, 12:38:02 PM by kevin king »

Online Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
Re: Cox 049 reed valve engine tips
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2021, 01:04:22 PM »
Paul Gibeault occasionally posts on CEF. Every now and then we repost his most excellent advice there for new and old guys. Especially during the years when we had and annual Tach race with prizes.
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2021, 02:57:05 PM »
              Very important part of getting successful runs is the plug. However, it's not uncommon for owners to say that the plug is still glowing. Just because it glows doesn't mean that it's a healthy plug. And then you have those that will insist on using fuel that's 30 years or older. USE NEW fuel!!!
            My tip however is that when the engine is apart, hook a syringe with a piece of tubing to the venturi on the tank. You shouldn't be able to withdraw the syringe AT ALL!!!. If you can, the reed isn't working properly. With the engine assembled, hook the syringe to the filler pipe blocking off the overflow. Screw the needle all the way down tight enough to seat not tight enough to destroy it. Use the syringe to pressurize the tank. If you hear air leaking note where it's leaking. If you hear air internally, the o-ring is screwed. If the tank perimeter is leaking, place dental floss in the groove and reassemble. Oil can hold the floss in place. Air can be leaking from the screws on the backplate as well. I have used cotton from cotton swabs twisted up and wrapped around the screws like Teflon tape. This works great and is reusable. 

Insure the back of the case is flat by sanding it lightly on a piece of glass with 400 paper or finer and a bit of oil in circular motion. The extrusion usually has a lip around the perimeter of the threaded hole due to the screws pulling the material out. Chase the holes with a 2-56 bottom tap which cleans them out and insures the screws aren't bottoming out on crap.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2021, 04:36:45 AM »
Paul Gibeault occasionally posts on CEF. Every now and then we repost his most excellent advice there for new and old guys. Especially during the years when we had and annual Tach race with prizes.
Paul has recently started to fly stunt. I swear he could fly anything judging by the patterns he was flying. He is a modeler through and through. Asset to the hobby for sure. I got to fly with him at the last 3 Prairie Fire Contests in Edmonton. He gave me one of his personal Tee dee 049's. He also has articles in MAAC magazine.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here