News:

• May 10, 2024, 08:35:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ni-Starter Adaptor Schemes?  (Read 1471 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Ni-Starter Adaptor Schemes?
« on: November 29, 2009, 07:06:17 PM »
I never seem to have trouble with complex stuff.  It's always the embarrassingly simple things.

I want to start 1/2A engines using a Ni-starter.  I had an old Cox glow head adaptor connected to an adapter cord made from a remote glow plug starter.  This all plugged together nicely, but I was only getting 1/2 a volt at the head and no glow.  I measured, and found that there was a healthy drop from the wiring to the head, with an unknown drop from the starter battery itself (the starter makes a glow plug light up just fine).

I have a new Sulivan clip, but before I buy any more stuff to mangle, I want to know:

What do _you_ do to light up your 1/2A glow heads?  Is there some hot combination that always works?

TIA
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
Re: Ni-Starter Adaptor Schemes?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 07:43:49 PM »
        Tim, with most Ni-starters are only1.2 volts. This voltage works well on your average plugs until you start using them on Cox, Norvel, Nelson plugs. The cold is another factor which even adds more complexity to the problem. Nelson plugs especially desires a strong battery in order to get a decent start. Initially they work fine and its probably due to holding a surface charge which dies off after a few starts. I was using a Mcdaniels Ni-starter with the Sullivan adapter for 1/2 a usage. I found this set up to be more troublesome then helpful. I was always under the assumption the clip was shorting out. It would work fine on the plug but wouldn't work when I put the adapter in it. I've replaced most of my plugs and adapters with 16 ga. lamp cord. I found that there is too much resistance in the wire due to the light gauge they use. The standard Cox clip is horrible for this problem and works well when the wire is beefed up. I prefer to use the old standard of linking 2 hobby batteries together and hold them together with nylon wire ties. I get a year of usage using this method and I fly almost every weekend. I gave up on the Ni-starter when I was using it on a .40 size plane when I disengaged it popped off and went into the prop. I almost lost my teeth from it not to mention it flew over 75 ft. Some of our club members solder several d-cells together as an inexpensive method which works very well. Another member made himself a small box which is approx 2" tall x 6" wide in which he can open and replace the d-cells. He uses a brass strip and some springs to hold the cells with 2 terminals coming out the top. Ken

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 06:51:26 AM »
Tim, i have used about everything for starting 1/2a motors, a lot of them were troublesome. My launcher (wife) still remembers the cold days and me repeatedly stating , "almost , almost" !!  Anyway i now have given in to toting my field box with a 12 volt 7amp battery and power panel with reinforced sullivan clip and lamp cord for wire. Now i know instantly if i have a good connection and can crank up the amps if needed. I do use a spring loaded ni-starter sometimes for convenience on my Norvels. Good luck!
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline david beazley

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 06:54:03 AM »
This is what I have been using for several years.  I got it when I was racing R/C Pylon and it lites Nelson plusg just fine.
http://www.radiosouthrc.com/pro_driver_mkii.htm
It has a removable standard glow plug adapter that can be swapped pot for a 1/2A clip.  It is a little pricy but it will light a loaded up plug in and inverted application.
It's only paranoia if they aren't really after you.
Analog man trapped in a digital world
AMA # 2817

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 08:46:59 AM »
This might be just what you seek friend : http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBWL9&P=ML

Robert
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 10:46:35 AM »
I use 6 D cells soldered together with duct tape to hold things together.  Cheep to build, never need charging and mine lasts 2 to 3 years.  However I must admit I don't fly all that much. O yes I use banana jacks and heavy wire.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 01:38:07 PM »
      I've seen the starters that Dave has posted above. These are excellent. The one I witnessed in use could not only tell if a plug was bad, it could also burn off a flooded plug. My next investment would surely be one. I had an incident in where I flooded the engine in a contest this past summer. When I finally got it running the fellow came up to me and showed me how it worked and I was surely impressed. Ken

Online Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 06:53:59 PM »
If you want to build a nifty starter box to hold battery, power panel and a variety of stuff in a very compact form, RSM Distribution has a laser cut kit.  Several of us use it locally, and it holds your clips, 1/2A starter and fuel syringe.  All you need at the starting line.  I like the 1/2A clips from 4-Pi, but I think Du-Bro makes a larger one that works just as well, or maybe better.  Heavy lamp cord is the ticket, no matter what battery/clip combo you use.

Since my gel-cell is dying, I have made up a Ni-starter using a 2000 mah Ni-cad, 6" of cord and the 1/2A clip.

One caution:  I used a transistorized power panel for years and loved it, but it failed and I burned out about $20 in plugs figuring out that the panel wasn't working anymore and was putting 12 v on my plugs!  I now use a cheaper one with a simple pot and meter.  Not as cool, fewer features, but less likely to fail.

I plan to make up a 12v pack of AA NiMh cells (2000 mah) from Harbor Freight.  A little more expensive ($27 vs $20) than a new Gel Cell, but WAY lighter.  It will need more frequent charging, but the peak current output may be improved.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 10:05:09 PM »
If you want to build a nifty starter box to hold battery, power panel and a variety of stuff in a very compact form, RSM Distribution has a laser cut kit.  Several of us use it locally, and it holds your clips, 1/2A starter and fuel syringe.  All you need at the starting line.  I like the 1/2A clips from 4-Pi, but I think Du-Bro makes a larger one that works just as well, or maybe better.  Heavy lamp cord is the ticket, no matter what battery/clip combo you use.

Since my gel-cell is dying, I have made up a Ni-starter using a 2000 mah Ni-cad, 6" of cord and the 1/2A clip.

One caution:  I used a transistorized power panel for years and loved it, but it failed and I burned out about $20 in plugs figuring out that the panel wasn't working anymore and was putting 12 v on my plugs!  I now use a cheaper one with a simple pot and meter.  Not as cool, fewer features, but less likely to fail.

I plan to make up a 12v pack of AA NiMh cells (2000 mah) from Harbor Freight.  A little more expensive ($27 vs $20) than a new Gel Cell, but WAY lighter.  It will need more frequent charging, but the peak current output may be improved.

Sounds like a great idea Larry. I love the idea of saving battery weight that you have. Just make sure it is charged the night before and you are good to go. I see no reason it would not last all day.

Robert
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 07:37:02 PM »
OK.  Finally got the necessary round tuit.

With a pair of alkaline 'D' cells in parallel, 18-gauge (or maybe 16) and a Sulivan clip, things started right up.  With a bit of cylinder swapping, I even got a high power run.  Tee hee!  Now if only it'd stop raining...

I did add some heat shrink to the top of the Sulivan clip (the part that engages the button on the head) -- the two bits of metal were awfully close together; the heat shrink should keep things from getting mashed together too easily.  Maybe I'll build a holster for the clip, but if it works...
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 08:39:27 PM »
To Larry:
If you're thinking of building a 12V NIMH pack, check out this link:

http://www.all-battery.com/12vnimhnicdbatterypackseries.aspx
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2009, 03:38:00 PM »
Just recently solved at least part of the problem...

...I used the charger cord from a defunct charger. You know, the one that simulates the contacts to a glow plug? Trimmed the cord to a handy length, about 20" and mounted a Du-Bro 1/2A Kwik-Klip there. Solid connection seems to be important in getting the juice into 1/2A engines' glow plugs.  The coiled "adapter" plugs into the Ni-Starter, and the Du-Bro really bites on to the plugs, whether Cox, Nelson, NorVel or standard 1/4-32 screw-ins... And it does not 'dedicate' a Ni-Charger to only 1/2A plug heads...

Since the charger had died, this cost me only the price of the Du-Bro klip, which I had for years, anyway.
\BEST\LOU

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here