News:

• April 18, 2024, 10:01:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Convert Cox .049 to diesel?  (Read 2886 times)

Offline Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Convert Cox .049 to diesel?
« on: April 17, 2018, 02:18:03 PM »
A question here for those in the know. I've got a 1970s version of the Babe Bee glow head motor and am considering a conversion to diesel. I hope to gain a bit more run time with the same power level.

I've already got a good contra piston head from another motor on hand, so would only need to spring for the beefier crank shaft.  I like diesel motors.

Worth the cost and effort, or should I leave well enough alone and stay with glow?

Dave Mo...
It’s a very strange world we live in, Master Jack.” (4 Jacks and a Jill)

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
Re: Convert Cox .049 to diesel?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 03:14:31 PM »
Only you can say whether or not it is worth the cost and effort. Really, it is only cost as swapping out the head and crankshaft is a 5 minute job. Once you swap out the crankshaft, you can switch between diesel and glow by swapping out the head, so you can have the best of both worlds. The only other thing that may be of concern is the fuel tubing that is in the tank. I believe that you would want to use Tygon fuel tubing for diesel, not silicone. However, the factory Cox tubing MAY be alright. Now go do it and post some pictures!

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 03:33:56 PM »
          I have used the stock crank and it's very short lived. My first example, it lasted 2 flights. You need the heavier crank. It was neat but hard to really get back to back settings. If you like diesels and tinkering, they're fun to play with.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 06:06:47 PM »
Agreed the stock crank won’t survive. The Davis Diesel crank and head are a viable combination. High ether fuel will reduce the required compression and prolong life.

My advice is buy a PAW diesel from Dr. Diesel and live happily ever after.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 10:04:58 PM »
If you have a Baby Bee and are happy with the performance but just need more run time why not switch to a 8cc tank such as used on the Black Widow, Golden Bee, and Texaco? That is 60% more capacity for a known-good combination.

If you want to fiddle with it to learn which settings are "hard" and break cranks, bend rods, etc. then.....

My best luck with a diesel-ified Cox was using a Cox car crank and case that has the larger journal. I had to make a special adapter for a prop drive. I believe I used a MECOA head which Larry loaned me. Thanks, Larry!

Dave

Offline Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 11:45:03 AM »
Wowza, but the usual generosity of the folks on this site has come forward again!

Some really good advice here (and maybe I'll implement all of the recommendations)! From what's been written, I see that it's quite feasible with the stronger crank.

So in the way of response to each of your suggestions:

Dave H - An eight-cc tank? Well, duh(!) as I slap myself on the forehead! Good idea and easy enough to make the change.
Larry - I'll give Dr. Diesel / Eric Clutton a call (I didn't know anyone carried PAW yet here stateside). But it kinda depends on how many shekels I want to put out; a purpose-built diesel sounds very appealing and those PAWs are truly nifty.
Chancy - So "dieselizing" the Cox doesn't mean that I'm stuck with a diesel only motor?!? Another "duh" and slap o' the head are in order. Ha!
Kenneth - Not sure what you mean by back-to-back settings, but if you mean finding the right needle and compression settings, I concur.

I'll keep you all in the loop as the so-called executive function in my brain sorts this all out.

Much obliged!

Dave....

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 12:51:02 PM »
There are also Car Cox Engine cranks that adapt easy to propeller with the correct adapter on the nose...

while I do love my dinky and very cool cox engines...there are a whole lot of small diesels to play with

jest sayin
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 04:25:10 PM »
Fred:

Taken under advisement. Another bit of encourage to snoop around for yet another engine to add to the stable I've got! Yes, something about the diesel appeals.

Dave...

Offline paw080

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2018, 07:07:16 PM »
Agreed the stock crank won’t survive. The Davis Diesel crank and head are a viable combination. High ether fuel will reduce the required compression and prolong life.

My advice is buy a PAW diesel from Dr. Diesel and live happily ever after.

Hi All, I must agree with Larry here,  I've done the diesel head conversion with reed valve engines;
but, all you end up with is an engine that has about the same kind of power as a stock glow reed
valve engine that can swing a 6x3 prop. I have messed about with PAW .8cc engines from the early non
anodized muffs to the latest SBR and TBR .8cc diesels.  The Paw SBR and TBR engines produce
much more usable sport and stunt performance than ANY TD engine. A TD simply cannot swing a
6x4 as the PAW engines can. Barry Baxter has powered 250sq" models with a TBR and I've flown
several Ringmaster Jr models(nose moment and fuselages modified for diesel flight) using a
plain bearing and an SBR .049 diesel. My Ring Jr's fly on 44' x .008" lines, are full pattern capable
using a Cox grey 6x4 prop and can complete a stunt pattern using only 1/2oz of fuel. 

In addition, the PAW .5cc diesel is a jewel that can pull a scaled down 160sq" PDQ Lion Tamer
on 35' x .012" (old 1/2a Combat lines); also flying the complete stunt pattern.  Bare used a 6x3
prop....that resulted in screwing him into the ground.

Sadly the prices for Paw .049s has increased considerably;  but get one if you can.
Tony G.

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2018, 09:22:45 AM »
I played with one that used the teflon disks.  I even cut some .001 and .003 brass disks.  Not much fun since the disks kept blowing out. A proper contra-piston head will have less frusteration.

When it does run it swings a 6 inch prop with authority, but not the same rpm.

I even got a proper .15 size diesel.  I had some nice bench runs. But I never tried to fly either setup.   I struggled too much.  If someone who knows this stuff isn't there to help get started it is very hard to mount the learning curve.  Having reliable glow power took away much of the motivation.

I am glad I messed about with diesels, and I am glad I recovered most of my money when I decided I was done.

Phil

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2018, 09:32:05 PM »
The only way to get diesel fuel stains out of your clothes is with scissors. But they will still stink up the house.

I think the concept is marvelous, the performance, properly run, is amazing, and I am still going electric.

I did an article for RCM titled “Who Has the Beef” comparing an OS FP with glow and diesel heads. Except for the most unreasonably small prop, the Davis head outran the stock head even using 15% Nitro fuel.

Blew me away!

Side note, the testing was done at a local park. A kid came over as I was working to find the latest new starting setting (it is different for each prop) and said “Can you take it back?” I intellengently replied “Huh?” He said “Well it doesn’t work.”

To quote WCFields “Scram, kid ya boddering me!”
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2018, 01:05:39 PM »
Again, some fine holding forth going on here with regard to my original question! Much obliged Tony, Phil and Larry.

I just gave Eric Clutton a call and had a great conversation with him. It'd be hard not to buy a PAW diesel from him! He gave me a gentle nudge in the direction of the .060 and away from the .049 for sport flying purposes. Alas, Tony's claim about the prices is relevant here. Right now, I'm leaning towards leaving the Cox as is and scratching up the scratch to the tune of a C-note for a PAW. 

Ah Larry, not that you are suggesting it but why would I want to go electric? I'd have to spend more time flying rather than monkeying around, which is why I'm in this hobby to begin with. Ha!

Dave Mo...

Offline Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2018, 06:58:47 PM »
Motorman:

It's nice to be reminded of basic physics every once in a while, i.e., the ol' surface area-to-volume ratio haunts not only small winter birds, but our little motors as well. Very good reminder!

I've had good luck with a 2.5 cc KMD diesel motor from Russia, so am familiar with the ether tussle. 'Round these parts, the JD ether sells for $4 a can; tolerable enough.

Nice (and likely very useful) metaphors describing the two engines. Will keep them in mind as this progresses.

Thanks!

Dave Mo...

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here