News:

• March 28, 2024, 02:31:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Control line terminations on stranded 1x7 SS wire  (Read 1546 times)

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Control line terminations on stranded 1x7 SS wire
« on: January 01, 2019, 08:50:47 PM »
Hi all,

This one is a quickie for those of you that wrap your own lines. I'm considering changing from crimped cables to wrapped. My cable is basically .008 1x7 SS uncoated fishing line. I expect to pick up a short spool of .012 also.for a couple of .09 Medallion-powered planes.

What do you recommend for serving wire? I know soft copper. But what gauge? 22? 24? Or even smaller 26?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Control line terminations on stranded 1x7 SS wire
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 09:47:14 PM »
Porsche_Jim,

I have used 34 gauge (.0063" diameter in the American Wire Gauge or AWG used for copper wire) bare copper wire on all my terminations, from leadouts at .027" dia. down to the .008" lines. However, I have come to the conclusion that wrapping .008" lines is an exercise requiring more delicacy than it is worth. I bought some correctly sized crimp sleeves from MBS products and now I crimp all .008" lines. Terminations made with these will pass the 1/2A pull tests no problem. But if you have time and want to wrap...you are going to need the fine wire for .008's.

Divot

Offline goozgog

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 04:25:30 AM »
  I wrap all my line terminals with a single
strand pulled from multi strand automotive
or marine wire.  .008 to .018 and all lead outs.
I've never had any kind of an issue.

Cheap or free and easy to find. Just cut
open "lamp cord" or whatever and pull out
twelve inches.
   The gauge depends on what you have,
but it's all pretty light.
The stuff I have is tinned marine rated left overs.
I measure a single strand at .010 ".
  On a full size stunter I wrap 3/4" but on
1/2A's only 1'4".

Cheers! - K.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 04:59:59 AM by goozgog »
Keith Morgan

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 11:07:05 AM »
I've played with everything from 40 gauge to 32, all enameled magnet wire (I have some leftover rolls of magnet wire from my Uncle's RC experimentation in the 1950's, when you rolled your own relays).  I think I normally wrap lines and leadouts with #36, in two colors so I can keep track of up & down.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 02:51:06 PM »
I'm laughing at Goozy's post:  he strips copper out of electrical cables? Seriously?

Actually, I have been doing the same thing since I started flying. I used to live up the street from a Porsche dealer, and one day as I was walking by, I saw the technicians (in white coats) cleaning out the shop. They were throwing away wire harnesses for some reason. I'll never get to own a Porsche, but now every model airplane I fly has just a little bit of Porsche in it!

Here's to you, Keith!

Divot McSlow

PS--All the wire I got has had 34Ga. uncoated strands. It wraps nicely and works great. I cut off a piece 32" long. It is a bonus if it has a lug or connector already on one end, because that helps while handling the wire. Next, I lay it out flat on the work surface and gently slit the insulation lengthwise with a #11 X-acto. I try not to cut all the way thru the insulation, but usually you are ok even if you do. Once you get a slit going, you can put the full bundle of copper thru the insulation along the slit all the way to within a couple inches of the end. Leave that untouched so that you don't get a loose, tangled mess. To get a piece of wire, separate out a strand up near the remaining insulated end. Then hold the far end of the bundle with your other hand and pull the strand out towards the insulated end. It sounds tedious, but it really isn't. It works great, and as Keith pointed out, it is cheap to recycle!

PPS--I originally bought heavier magnet wire for the purpose, but didn't like the way it wrapped. The colored varnish (probably actually an epoxy film, nowadays) faded anyway. I just use a bit of colored shrink sleeve over the termination and extending out beyond just a bit. It has some give, so it helps avoid focused flexing right at the end of your wrapped termination. I've heard of a million ways to "righteously" terminate lines. With some guys, it almost becomes a religion....  If so, then this one is mine.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 12:16:56 PM by Dave Hull »

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 07:46:16 PM »
Thanks gents!

I stripped a piece of bellwire for my boys' leadouts (we are in a small town in MS). Their planes were made with picture-hanging wire for leadouts...it was the only flexible line I could find quickly, and locally. The bellwire seemed a little stiff, but it soldered well enough. It sure keeps the picture wire around the recycled shoelace eyelets pretty well. I know, pretty red-neck of me!

Now it's time to step up to more appropriate stuff. My take-away is there isn't any particular, specified size of wrapping wire. I have plenty of smaller gauge multi-strand wire available.

Again, thanks for y'alls input!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here