News:

• April 19, 2024, 03:51:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Clear coat paint  (Read 1043 times)

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Clear coat paint
« on: July 22, 2020, 09:08:19 PM »
So what's everyone using for clear coat on their 1/2a's these days?

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: Clear coat paint
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 09:12:40 PM »

Why not the same clear you use on your bigger models?
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 12:56:44 AM »
Why not the same clear you use on your bigger models?
I use dope on my large models, and since my 1/2a uses 30% nitromethane I decided to try 2 part urethane instead of dope. I think I should have just stayed with dope  because the 2 part automotive urethane wrinkled from the fuel. I can't remember any of my dope finished 1/2a high nitro fuels wrinkling my finish. So now I have a gallon of 2k automotive clear on Kjiji.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 07:54:29 AM »
I use dope on my large models, and since my 1/2a uses 30% nitromethane I decided to try 2 part urethane instead of dope. I think I should have just stayed with dope  because the 2 part automotive urethane wrinkled from the fuel. I can't remember any of my dope finished 1/2a high nitro fuels wrinkling my finish. So now I have a gallon of 2k automotive clear on Kjiji.

Wrinkling?

Interesting.

I've only used it for decades and I never had an issue.

READ THE CAN, as most professionals do when they use a brand or product for the first time.

Don't over-reduce. I haven't used a mix in years because I'm an aerosol can guy, but I kinda remember to not reduce over 10%, unless things have changed?

I wish I could offer more, but I'm sure there are others who mix this who may be of more help.

How did you fix the wrinkling?
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 10:06:00 AM »
Hey Charles. Ya, I originaly went to the auto body supply store thinking they would have the 2k Spray Max aerosol cans you use. Apparently they are not available in Canada, or so he says. For the paint he sold me, I did follow the manufactures instructions for mixing to a tee. 4 parts clear to 1 part catalyst. No reducer. That low amount of catalyst is the first red flag. Usually the low catalyst content is an indicator of low quality. I guess that's why the manufactures say it's not compatable over dope. Also I suspect the finishing resin I used to glass the nose. I've always found that paint doesn't like to stick to it, unless you sand it with 100 grit sand paper and use a primer, which I didn't do. Anyway, I just sanded the wrinkled paint off, brushed on the colored dope, and finished it by brushing clear dope on it. Will see how that works. It's no big deal to me. It's just a 1/2a Skyray I built waiting for the Spitfires paint to dry before I buff it.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2020, 12:35:36 PM »
Hey Charles. Ya, I originaly went to the auto body supply store thinking they would have the 2k Spray Max aerosol cans you use. Apparently they are not available in Canada, or so he says. For the paint he sold me, I did follow the manufactures instructions for mixing to a tee. 4 parts clear to 1 part catalyst. No reducer. That low amount of catalyst is the first red flag. Usually the low catalyst content is an indicator of low quality. I guess that's why the manufactures say it's not compatable over dope. Also I suspect the finishing resin I used to glass the nose. I've always found that paint doesn't like to stick to it, unless you sand it with 100 grit sand paper and use a primer, which I didn't do. Anyway, I just sanded the wrinkled paint off, brushed on the colored dope, and finished it by brushing clear dope on it. Will see how that works. It's no big deal to me. It's just a 1/2a Skyray I built waiting for the Spitfires paint to dry before I buff it.

Kevin,

I've seen the quality of workmanship you're capable of. I was thinking you had issues with a model of top notch quality.

The 2K is sold on ebay. They might ship to Canada.

BTW. Wife and I would take the drive to Old Quebec each year. What a fantastic city and great people.

I have a feeling your on the other side of the country?

If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2020, 08:37:38 PM »
Charles, I have a friend who is always keeping up with the latest auto finishing systems. We are going to buy some really  high performance 2K clear for 600 dollars a gallon. Seems pricey, but you only need to use 4oz to do a full size stunt plane. Then the polishing system he chose that goes up to 5000 grit or more. Should be fun. My province of Manitoba is right above North Dakota. We are kinda like mexicans with touques.😆
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 09:05:36 PM by kevin king »

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2020, 12:43:57 AM »
Thanks for the info Motorman. I will have to try it sometime.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2020, 03:49:16 AM »
I use Zap Zpoxy cut 50/50 with acetone over bare wood with an acid brush and I add pigment for color. Usually needs two coats and looks like crap but fuel proof all day.

Motorman 8)

I do the same with the tank and engine areas, Well I did, won't be any longer because I'm going Electric.

A stiff artist brush will do a much better job.

Offline pmackenzie

• Pat MacKenzie
  • 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2020, 04:39:46 AM »
MAAC 8177

Offline Les Akre

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2020, 02:26:03 PM »
Kevin

If you're in Canada, These guy's have a product I've been using on race planes for years. Entirely fuel proof! You can choose from a myriad of colors, or clear.

I've used their 2k-Aerosol products just recently to paint a motorcycle frame and subframe with excellent results. Once you press the activator button on the bottom of the can and shake it well. Leave it for a few minutes, then shake again and use. They say the pot life is around 12 hours, but I've had their primer last easily twice as long.

Wear a good mask when applying, Lot's of nasties in this stuff!!

https://www.endurapaint.com/product/1k-and-2k-aerosol-spray-cans/

Les

Offline Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2020, 09:48:00 PM »
The Motorman above mentions adding pigment to the thinned epoxy glue. What type is used and where can it be had? Is it in powder form or liquid? Thanks.

Dave Mo...
It’s a very strange world we live in, Master Jack.” (4 Jacks and a Jill)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here