Building Tips and technical articles. > 1/2 A building.

CAUTION Flying 1/4A models

(1/4) > >>

Clancy Arnold:
Considering the colors we are painting our small models, posting the attached sign will be required.

Clancy 

minnesotamodeler:
He he he.

George:
Another kind of caution:

My first experience with 1/4A models was when Cox first brought out their PeeWee .020 in the 50's. Having no information on their power, I proceeded to build a small C/L plane with a 12" sheet wing and a simple box fuselage. Had to cut down a wooden 1/2A prop since the props for the PeeWee had not yet reached our LHS. Put on some five foot or so dacron lines and launched with my right hand while controlling (relative term) with my left.

It spun me so fast I couldn't keep up (surprising  n~ ). The lines wrapped around me and the plane "crashed" into my leg. The next plane the .020 was on was a bit larger and the lines were definitely longer.  ;D

George

Clancy Arnold:
George
Hope you read the flight report on my IBTW Barnstormer.  It now has 30 ft. lines and a new handle with 1 1/2 in. spacing.  Weather permitting a second series of test flights are scheduled for tomorrow.
Clancy

Richard Grogan:
Hey Clancy,
Did you ever flip over the prop on the 020 to slow it down? I was thinkin' you could go back to a smaller circle if it slowed enough...
RG

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version