News:

• May 13, 2024, 01:03:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Can'ardly--flight report!!! (fourth outing)  (Read 3690 times)

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
Can'ardly--flight report!!! (fourth outing)
« on: August 16, 2010, 11:03:10 AM »
Thought I'd start a new thread at this point, the other is getting kinda unwieldy.

So I got the Can'ardly out today, nearly perfect flying weather, temp maybe 80, maybe even less, humidity low, winds 5-10 mph, sunny.  Beautiful.  And I'm happy to report:  It flies!   I'm using a Norvel .049 on it. Came out of the stooge and off the ground very nicely, good and stable, no funny tendencies I could detect.  It is, as I expected (and actually hoped), rather noseheavy.  Made for a very docile flight; it felt too sluggish to attempt any full maneuvers.  I had to content myself with some climbs and dives, testing its response which was, as I said, sorta sluggish.  Also it has a considerable outward yaw, so when I move the CG back I'll set the leadouts considerably closer to it than they are now.

I thought about punching holes thru the TE and bolting on some weight, but decided to do it right and bring it home for a cleaner installation of tailweight. So that's where we're at right now.  

Here's a pic for anyone who doesn't know what it looks like and are too lazy to look up the original thread!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 10:11:13 AM by minnesotamodeler »
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Can'ardly--flight report!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 12:19:45 PM »
Neat!  When you get it dialed in, could you post a photo showing with a pointer at the CG location?

Unless you're a better man than I, you'll need to fiddle with those tail weights -- make 'em adjustable!
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 03:16:00 PM »
Glad to hear it flies.  When you add tail weight you may not have to move the lead outs.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 06:41:38 PM »
Congratulations on a nifty project.  Going to kit it?   #^
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 08:20:21 PM »
"Kit it"...naw, dunno yet how well it will fly; besides, can't imagine much of a market for a novelty plane like this.
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline Jim Moffatt

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 04:26:03 PM »
Your plane name reminds me of the country song
"Slim Chance and the Can Hardly Playboys"

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 04:39:12 PM »
Your plane name reminds me of the country song
"Slim Chance and the Can Hardly Playboys"

Someone suggested it as canards "can'ardly fly". It struck my fancy.

Looks like 3/4 oz. of lead moves the CG back nearly an inch!  Gotta think on that; I may want to ease back a little more gradually...
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 08:06:08 PM »
Ray, wonder if you could use a pusher prop and try flying clockwise!   n~
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 08:08:43 PM »
Now wouldn't that be a hoot: An "either-way" airplane!
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 09:42:21 AM »
SECOND FLIGHT REPORT:

I bit the bullet and added the full 3/4 oz. tailweight, and moved the LO back about 1/4":

Much, much better; CG now about where the front LO was (and is again; reason following).  Stability still OK; it will now perform round maneuvers pretty well--no square corners though!  It does fly smoothly, very pretty lazy eights.

Still had quite an outward yaw, so I moved the LO back to their orig. position--now the CG and LO guides are in about the same place; when hanging by the leadouts it hangs level; yaw in flight is lessened but still there.  I'm thinking I need to remove some or all of the rudder offset.

Interesting phenomenon: When the engine quits, the glide is flat and will not flair nor stretch.  It lands where it wants to land.  Not hard, but it refuses to raise the nose for a flair or for nursing a longer glide, even with full "up".  I don't believe it is a balance issue, but something peculiar to canards.  I'm not an aeronautical engineer, don't know the terminology, so the following will sound like I'm an ignoramus (come to think of it, I am an ignoramus so I guess that's all right):

In a standard planform, the elevator has lots and lots of leverage to raise the nose, sitting at the opposite end from the engine; in a canard (esp. the layout I'm using) it doesn't have nearly so much.  In fact the mechanical advantage is negative, since "down" is "up"--it's not pushing the nose up by dropping the tail, but trying to lift it by itself.  While the engine is running it's fine; perhaps prop blast helps, or perhaps just engine pull helps the elevator lift the nose.  But on its own, deadstick, seems like the elev. becomes fairly ineffective. I guess the wing doesn't help pick up the nose nearly so much if at all.  So I'm thinking, maybe a canard needs more elevator area to gain the leverage needed; or maybe my specific planform, with the engine in front of the stab/elev., exaggerates the problem. 

My solution (experiment) is to rebuild the stab/elevator, same position, same shape, but with the hingeline 1/2" further forward--that will put the elevator that much closer to the weight (engine) it's trying to lift, as well as give it more area to work with.  At the same time I may add just a skosh more tailweight to bring the CG back just a little more--as I said, it's still plenty stable and smooth, no twitchiness at all. Oh, and take out some rudder offset.

So what'chall think? Surgery is pending...
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Can'ardly--flight report!!! (Second outing)
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 12:31:52 PM »
I think the biggest issue is that with the engine running the prop blast is Right There on the elevator, and with the engine not running the engine/prop/everything is making lots of turbulence over the stab/elevator.  So I'm not surprised if it loses a lot of elevator effectiveness when the engine quits.

I don't think the fact it's a canard that makes much of a difference -- I think it has a lot more to do with the short moment from the elevator to the wing, the size of the elevator, and the fact that you've got that whole variable prop blast issue.

Maybe you need a transmitter with dual rates?  (Oh wait -- this is control line.  What am I thinking??? :-))

I'd play with the tail weights a lot before I cut into such a pretty plane.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 02:54:38 PM »
I think you should add some flaps to the wing!   :!
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 03:41:51 PM »
The flaps on my Wild Goose do not add that much to controls.  The front elevator is in reality a safety feature of some canard designs.  It will only lift the nose so far and just sit there.  Mine will fly the whole pattern and I have been trying to tame it down.  Lots of elevator area.  Also the engine is behind the forward surfaces.  You might try like I did on a little 1/2A combat wing that wouldn't turn.  My brother said to enlarge the moving surface.  We doubled the area.  Talk about making a plane come alive.  You may still be a little nose heavy.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 08:18:11 PM »
Ok here's what I've done:  Upon further reflection, I decided to postpone changing the stab/elev. ratio for now.  Added another 1/4 ounce of lead to the tail, bringing it up to a full ounce, which moved the CG back another 1/4", which is 1" behind the original location (from 2 3/4" ahead of the LE to 1 3/4" ahead).  I'm not comfortable moving it in any bigger increments than that now. Also, I moved the LO guide back to stay with the new CG. 

Then, I reduced the rudder offset by the simple expedient of reducing its size!  Trimmed it down to a more pleasing shape while I was at it. Area of the offset fin probably reduced by 50%, that should help cut down the yaw. 

Ray, I don't think a wing flap is the answer.  I really like the feel of the plane now, very smooth and predictable; don't want to make any fundamental design changes at this point, just fine-tuning what I have.  It may well be just a matter of getting the CG right.  It's an interesting project.

--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 09:44:37 PM »
This is what modeling is all about ! The excitement and anticipation , the trials and errors and finally finding what works!!  Mr. MM you must be having some fun!! Me , i'm goin to the garage, turn on the fan and sand some more on my Fancy Pants turtledeck, those dang turtledecks, no fun at all!  :'(

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2010, 10:37:12 PM »
I can see from it5s layout It should be nose heavy. Consider any modern canard has the enginer or engine built atop the wing with the exhause behind the traling edge slightly. while the fuse might extent 20 feet foward thats a lot of weight/and structure at the back.  You might consider the next build to extend ther fuse maybe slightly behind the wings t/e to build a box  and contain any lead for weight.

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2010, 08:48:15 AM »
Good thought on extending the fuselage aft, Jim, that would make any needed tail weight more effective.

This is not my first canard; I built one about 2 yrs. ago with the engine on a pod over the LE of the wing--wildly tailheavy, gave me quite a ride.  Rebuilt the pod to move the engine about 3" forward, still req'd beaucoup noseweight to even be flyable.  Smashed it up thoroughly before I got it even close to trimmed out.  So this time I determined not to repeat that mistake, and erred on the noseheavy side.  At least it's flyable!  One ounce of tailweight isn't so bad I think, to get it into reasonable trim.  It still weighs less than 10 oz. even with the lead on it.
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2010, 02:24:13 PM »
Here's a comparison of the original, and trimmed, rudder shape.  Angles aren't quite the same but maybe close enough to give the idea.
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline Kevin Ferguson

• New Pilot
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2010, 08:04:40 PM »
Ok here's what I've done:  Upon further reflection, I decided to postpone changing the stab/elev. ratio for now. 

Good. NACA experiments long ago showed that there is almost no gain in control effectiveness when you hinge more than 30% or so of a surface. ( I can't recall the number, but it is well under 50%.  The force is generated by turning the air direction. It doesn't matter much if you turn it sooner or later, you just need enough distance from the hinge for the flow to reattach before the TE.  The advantage of full flying control surfaces is mainly in getting rid of the flow bump and leakage at the hinge line, not in having more moving area.

Increasing the chord doesn't add much power either.  The best way is by increasing the span.  More chord does help move the air more smoothly, but increasing the span means you are working on a much larger slice of air.

Many full scale canards are nearly stall proof.  The stab will stall before it produces enough up moment to stall the wing.  I'd bet that is what is happening with your model.  Some full scale canards have had serious problems keeping the nose up when the stab is wet from rain, which makes them stall much sooner.

Compare your Canard to a conventional layout.  Normally the CG is inside the wing, so the wing's lift doesn't have much lever to work with. (typically about 1/4 the chord) The stab is way back where it has a whopping leverage.  I needs to generate only a small down force to balance the wing's lift.  Your wing is well behind the CG, so it's lift is pushing the nose down hard.  Your canard stab has to generate almost as much lift as the wing in order to balance this.

I'd say you are barking up the right tree with the prop blast thinking.  Most of the stab is in the blast, but only the middle of the wing.  If the prop blast is twice your airspeed, then the stab can make ~4X the lift when the engine is running...enough for maneuvering, but maybe still not enough for snappy cornering.

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2010, 06:55:00 AM »
Good analysis, makes sense.  I'm thinking the square corners may be beyond this design; but the round maneuvers were very nice, smooth and steady and pretty, even with it still kinda nose heavy; so it's gonna be a worthwhile sport model for sure.

Sure hope that yaw is gone; if not, next step will be to move LO ahead of the CG! Doesn't seem like it should have to be, but they are exactly together right now,  and I can see the full length of the TE in flight. The reduced fin area may solve it--next test flight pending.
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2010, 11:29:42 AM »
A "prop blast" 50% greater than airspeed implies horrendous "slippage" of the prop; that doesn't happen.  Compare the rpm and pitch to actual flight speed, and the slip is much more moderate!  The only place you would see this effect is on takeoff, where the model hasn't yet accellerated to flying speed.

DesignMan

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2010, 02:25:49 PM »
Yup, when I first read that I thought "that's a really inefficient prop!"--but what do I know?

It could be checked easily enough I suppose.  If the pitch = inches forward per revolution (ideally--through a solid, no slippage) then measuring the rpm in the air with an acoustic tach, x pitch, would give you theoretical distance moved per minute. In inches.  Work it out to mph, then compare with a clocked lap.  Difference = slippage?  Seems right.

I'd do it but don't really care that much one way or the other; I stick a prop on, start 'er up, she flies, I'm happy. I understand low pitch and large dia. = low gear; high pitch and small dia. = high gear.  I tinker with different props till I get it to my liking.  With my 1/2As, I use diameters from 4" to 6"; pitch from 2" to 4".  That doesn't leave room for a whole lot of tinkering!  Knowing the efficiency wouldn't help that process much. 
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2010, 02:36:50 PM »
Hum, I just diddled a little on my calculator; 15000 rpms with 3" pitch works out to 42.7 mph w/no slippage! is that right?  But I have planes that clock nearly twice that (well, 75mph) and I know they're not turning 30,000 rpms! Maybe 20 or a little more at best.  
OK 20000 at 3" pitch = 56.8 mph???  I'm doing something wrong.  Oh, maybe that's per blade; should be doubled for hypothetical speed?  then assuming 75 mph in real world, that works out to maybe 35% slippage.  Hum.  My head's starting to hurt.  Wish you guys hadn't brought it up...I'm going back to "I don't care".
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2010, 03:38:50 PM »
Hum, I just diddled a little on my calculator; 15000 rpms with 3" pitch works out to 42.7 mph w/no slippage! is that right?  But I have planes that clock nearly twice that (well, 75mph) and I know they're not turning 30,000 rpms! Maybe 20 or a little more at best.  
OK 20000 at 3" pitch = 56.8 mph???  I'm doing something wrong.  Oh, maybe that's per blade; should be doubled for hypothetical speed?  then assuming 75 mph in real world, that works out to maybe 35% slippage.  Hum.  My head's starting to hurt.  Wish you guys hadn't brought it up...I'm going back to "I don't care".
How odd -- I've been flying on 35' lines, 2.5 second laps, with a 6-2 prop and a Golden Bee that ain't doing any better than 20000 or I'm a monkey's uncle.

So the math doesn't work out for me, either.

Argh.
AMA 64232

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2010, 08:04:43 PM »
Your 2.5 sec. lap = about 60 mph.  I think the math figures have to double--ea. blade is pulling the 2", so 1 revolution = 4"--maybe.  So 20000 rpms at 2" pitch = 76 mph theoretical, huh, that's not much slippage. Well, 21% I guess. that may actually be pretty close.

Someone who knows, help us out here?
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2010, 08:42:43 PM »
Your 2.5 sec. lap = about 60 mph.  I think the math figures have to double--ea. blade is pulling the 2", so 1 revolution = 4"--maybe.  So 20000 rpms at 2" pitch = 76 mph theoretical, huh, that's not much slippage. Well, 21% I guess. that may actually be pretty close.

Someone who knows, help us out here?
But it doesn't add that way!
AMA 64232

Offline Bob Furr

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2010, 10:31:42 PM »
Remember that the prop is a wing not a screw moving thru wood.    A screw with a pitch of 3 inches would move forward three inches in one rotation.    The pitch of the prop is only part of what generates forward lift (thrust).   The rest is from the airfoil of the prop.  Years ago I would play with changing the airfoil of wood props and sometimes add 5 or 10 mph to forward speed without ever changing the pitch.   The science around that is more than I can work out but thinning the blade toward the tips helped some as well as giving the leading edge a more rounded shape.   Remember the tips are actually moving hundreds of miles an hour so thinning them helped with drag.   Also most engines unload in the air and ground measurements of RPM are almost always lower than the actual RPM in the air.
Bob

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2010, 06:34:43 AM »
Well, it's beyond me.   I stand on (return to) my original statement:  I don't care!
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
Re: Can'ardly--flight report!!! (third outing)
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2010, 11:17:57 AM »
OK just got back in from another flying session.  Cut short by picnickers getting in the way...

Anyhow, got in a couple of flights, enough to draw some tentative conclusions:

the current balance point. 1.75" ahead of LE, seems about right.  Still smooth, stable but more responsive, turns a tight enough loop on full "up" to stall and stagger a little.  Still no square corners to speak of.  The glide is just the same, flat and long, very shallow, but resistant to any input from me.  I can live with that since it does make for very pretty landings, no bobbles or stalls, just grease-her-in!  Interestingly, takeoffs are extremely "normal", just like any plane. I can pull it off fairly quickly (say within 6 feet or so), or let it taxi a ways.

The reduced fin worked great, very little yaw left in it now.  It looks really cool in the air!  Next time I take it out I may bring along a camera, try to get some video of it.

Only fly in the ointment: Inconsistent engine run, I'm going back to a balloon tank...

I officially pronounce the design a success!
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2010, 03:41:02 PM »
Sounds great. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2010, 04:02:38 PM »
A few things to consider.
1. a conventional layout has the elevator further away from the c/g . So it can be smaller to impart the same amount of reaction. Elevator only controls directional control. Thrust provides the impetus to follow that path.
On landing. Power is off so only momentum and gravity are driving the model. If model is able to stall on tight loops you may well need to reduce the amount of control you can enter. ie. longer horn.
I think a full floating stab might work but the control amounts are the big issue. Too much control can turn into a total air brake out front.
?I'd try a bit more tail weight and see if it will lose stability. But go small at a time till you know your gone past the best point.

With the elevator being too close to the wing it might be stalling long before you have any noticable effect in pitch during your glide. So in effect the wing just continues along the path it wants to be on.

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2010, 06:36:55 PM »
Another thing to consider is that on a conventional model. The elevator is away from the wing ,while on the canard it is nearer the wing. again reducing the moment arm from the c/g. If your c/g is forward of the l/e it is even closer to the pivot point.

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2010, 07:11:04 PM »
Very true, your last point is key I think.  the elevator is only 3" or so ahead of the CG as it sits.  It may be worthwhile to try a little more tailweight and cut down the elevator movement some.  Perhaps that'll be my next experiment.  I guess I oughtta keep moving the CG back until it starts getting unstable, then I'd know for sure where it ought to be.

It is beginning to fly very nicely though.
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2010, 10:43:58 AM »
Don't forget, the elevator is generating downwash (when giving "up") that effects the lift of the wing reducing it's lifting capability.  In addition there is probably a lot of turbulence when the elevator is deflected.  A conventional wing is flying in clean air coming straight at it.

On the speed question,  15000rpm/60sec/min = 250rev/sec and 3" pitch is 1/4foot, so we are going 62.5 ft/sec.  On a 35 ft RADIUS circle, you have a circumference of 220 ft.  this gives a lap time of 3.5 seconds.  All this seems right to me.

Since props are airfoiled, the aerodynamic pitch is higher than the usual measurement of the back of the blade.  Then there is unloading of the engine, but the blade has to "fly" at some angle of attack to generate lift (thrust).  Unravelling these effects would take a great deal of research, but they tend to balance out, so the straight calculation is probably as good as you will get.

DesignMan

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2010, 01:08:42 PM »
OK I'm skipping the part about speed/rpm/pitch etc., that's no longer under discussion as far as I'm concerned, remember my new mantra "I don't care".

I would expect, re: elevator downwash affecting the wing, that the nose would at least lift some, even if the wing stalled due to the extra turbulence.  That's not what I'm experiencing; rather, on neutral or full up, the glide is essentially the same.  Nothing wrong with the glide itself, nice and shallow, flat, makes a pretty landing if a little fast for my tastes--it's just that handle input while deadstick has very little effect.  It has occurred to me that this could be extremely bad if the plane were in any other attitude than "level" when it ran out of fuel. Guess I've been lucky so far.  Actually, come to think of it, it flamed out once inverted (but level) and glided/landed exactly the same (except on rudder, not wheels of course), "neutral" or "full down" having little effect.

I have now added 1/4 oz. more tailweight, moving the CG to 1.5" ahead of the wing, moved LO guides back accordingly. Also cut down control movement (moved up one hole in horn). Now up to 10 oz. RTF, started out at 8+.  Next opportunity to test-fly will probably be Wed.  
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 01:33:46 PM by minnesotamodeler »
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2010, 07:41:52 PM »
Here is a thought:
     Cement the elevator to the stabilizer and add a new elevator to the trailing edge of the wing.  I have seen this work quite well.
Larry

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2010, 05:33:15 AM »
Larry, my first attempt at a canard, a couple of years ago, started life with an elevator in front and wing flap at the back, that I had to make stationary to make it fly...anyhow, part of the charm of a canard, to me, is that the control surfaces are in the front!  It is close to flying very well, I think a little more trimming will do it.
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2010, 04:08:39 PM »
This thread does bring up interesting questions.
Why do some planes easily fly through 8's and loops after the engine quits, while others tumble out of the sky?
Is the the total lack of aerodynamic smoothness that causes most of the smaller block models I built that had the landing  quality of a brick? While I had seen the Stunt machine effortlessly do loops and 8's on a windy day?

I think that the quality of a canard is that the elevator stalls before the wing. Perhaps so far before that it makes no noticed difference to the AoA of the wing to present a noticed change in direction.
Perhaps you need to put the horizontal above or below the wings position to keep both the wing in clear  air as well as the elevator. You might also try extending the booms further from the wing to see how the position affects flight.
You could try making the booms with holes in it and bolt on the elevator as an assy using different holes and a new push rod to extend it further till you find the right location.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2010, 04:22:56 PM »
After reading this again, I am thinking of doing a 1/2A version of the Wild Goose.  Now the main reason I built the Wild Goose was to prove to myself that Dick Sarpoulos knw what he was doing.  I is something that looks a little strange on the end of the lines and getting used to it is fun.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2010, 05:30:14 PM »
After reading this again, I am thinking of doing a 1/2A version of the Wild Goose.
I've been reading this thread and thinking just that all along.

Starting has to be a chore, though.
AMA 64232

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2010, 10:10:47 AM »
One more time...

OK, I think the CG is as far aft as it will stand...1.5" ahead of the wing LE.  It still grooves, but a very shallow groove if you know what I mean..takes a little attention to keep it there.  Loops, inside & out, eights, etc. all fine, as long as they are kept big enough to stay above that "stagger/stall" point.  There is a kind of disconcerting tendency to try to flat-spin when it stalls. So, no super-tight loops.  It does turn enough of a corner to make a discernible square loop, with very round corners--I suppose it's more of a round loop with slightly flattened sides!  

I also now have a certain amount of control dead-stick, enough to stretch the glide, or bobble it to slow it down, and even flair a little.  Still pretty sluggish though, maybe just a tendency of canards.

My thoughts on this particular design: at 10 1/2 oz. and 170 sq. in. wing, wingloading is a little high for my tastes, maybe contributes to the stagger tendencies under heavy control movement.  Whoever said a canard wing cannot develop its full lift potential was exactly right, I think.   If I build another, it will be lighter (I'll shoot for 8 oz., getting rid of the 1 1/4 oz. of lead on the tail will be a big step in that direction) and more wing, probably more like 200 squares or so.  I'll enlarge the stab/elev. more than proportionally, mostly by spreading the booms further apart.  The idea of getting the stab off the centerline of the wing is worth considering too.  And, either a shorter nose (for the balance issue) or even swept-forward wings as has been suggested.  

All in all, this one flies pretty well; certainly worth keeping, as a curiosity/conversation piece if nothing else.  I think I can make one that flies better.  

For Tim:  the CG is about exactly on the bellcrank pivot, 1.5" ahead of the LE.  Leadout guides are about 1/4" behind that.
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Can'ardly--flight report!!! (fourth outing)
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2010, 10:21:47 AM »
Swept-forward wings would certainly do it.

I recall reading somewhere* that airplanes fly more efficiently if the front wing has more aspect ratio than the back wing.  That's OK when the big wing is in front, but inconvenient in a canard.  This is why all the "Rutan-style" canards that you see, other than Dick Rutan's first one, have really long skinny elevators**.  So you may get better performance with a high aspect ratio stab/elevator, if you can find room for it.  Getting at least some of the elevator out of the prop wash may help, too.

Swept-forward wings would certainly look cool.

* I have a really good memory for remembering what I read, and a really bad memory for where it is, which gets frustrating at times.

** It's also a serious contributor to the problems they can have landing in the rain -- those long skinny elevators have a low Reynolds number.  The original airfoil that they used was great until it got raindrops on the top surface, but then bam the limiting coefficient of lift went through the floor, and the elevator would stall on landing.  Apparently there's a fix that involves a different airfoil in the front -- but I digress.
AMA 64232

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2010, 10:26:11 AM »
Yes, I also was thinking of the suggestion to extend the stab beyond the booms for that higher aspect ratio.

the second one (if there is one) will certainly look different from this one!
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2010, 12:16:07 AM »
Why not e-mail Bob Hunt on details of his canard designs.  He certainly touted them as being superior with the exception of looking "right" to the judges.  Why not start out with something that a truly world class flyer deems exceptional?

DesignMan

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2010, 01:42:49 AM »
I recall Bob Hunt had some difficulties with the forward swept canard experiments. Don't know if he got it to work to his satisfaction.
I built a Blue Pants as a kid. Wish I still had it. Might even learn to fly it.

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2010, 08:31:46 AM »
Why not e-mail Bob Hunt on details of his canard designs.  He certainly touted them as being superior with the exception of looking "right" to the judges.  Why not start out with something that a truly world class flyer deems exceptional?

Larry, I'm just vain enough to want to create this myself, from the ground up...for me, it's not nearly as satisfying to "bash" an existing design.  Yeah, I'm re-inventing the wheel on a lot of it; but it keeps me busy and out of trouble, and brings much satisfaction along with it, when I see the thing--all mine from beginning to end--fly as well as it does now.

I know others derive equal satisfaction (maybe more) in perfecting an existing design, or furthering its evolution into something yet better; and we all profit from that work.  But that's just not me.  I build others' designs once in awhile, when I run across one that strikes my fancy and I want one of my own (even kit a couple: Snapper, Queen Bee); might even change it a little to suit my tastes, but it's not to improve on what they've done.

So yeah, I'm ignoring a lot of pioneering work on canards...wrestling with problems already solved by others.  So I'm crazy but happy!

Will I build another "new and improved" version?  Maybe. Meanwhile I'll enjoy flying this one till I get tired of it, or one of its idiosyncrasies destroys it.

P.S. The .049 Hornet runs really well, thanks for all your help.
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2010, 08:46:51 AM »
That is the main thing rigt there,  HAVING FUN.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2010, 12:27:16 PM »
So, what is the Hornet going on?

Hmm, what if you made your canard a twin by putting a second engine just ahead of the wing?   VD~

DesignMan

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2010, 01:15:24 PM »
Hmm, what if you made your canard a twin by putting a second engine just ahead of the wing?
Then after the tenth starting attempt he wouldn't have any fingers left.
AMA 64232

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2010, 08:39:46 PM »
So, what is the Hornet going on?

Hmm, what if you made your canard a twin by putting a second engine just ahead of the wing?   VD~

The Hornet is currently on one of my SkyWriters, and pulls it like a champ. Still having a little fuel draw difficulties.  I think I'll replace the backplate gasket, and maybe try to stop down the venturi just a hair.  I may end up putting it on bladder pressure.

Re: Your suggestion on the Canard...what a nightmare!  Which one would you start first?  The back one? but then where (how) would you hold it to start the front one?  Front one first?  no way I'm leaning over a spinning prop to try to flip another one!

Maybe I'll do it, and then challenge you to come over and start 'em for me...
--Ray 
AMA902472

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here