Building Tips and technical articles. > 1/2 A building.

Brodak Baby Clown ARF/ Engine Mount

(1/3) > >>

Dan McEntee:
     In cleaning and and trying to gain some sort of order in my world I have been working on finishing some small projects. One of those is a Brodak Baby Clown ARF that I acquired. It was incomplete and missing some odds and ends but the big pieces were there. It was missing the rudder, so I pulled out an original PDQ Baby Clown kit I have to copy those parts. Boy! A big  difference! But I made some adjustments and got something carved out that will work. One thing I noticed in the few bits of paper work and on the box art was some adapters to allow bolting a beam mount engine to the radial mount nose piece. I had not ever seen those before. I looked them up on the Brodak website and they still show the mounts there. . They are only a few bucks but with shipping the way things are I may have to really scour the site t see if I can come up with enough stuff to warrant the cost. They look like an injection molded part. Are these worth the effort or could something be made similarly out of 1/4" plywood? I have a bunch of different beam mounted 1/2A engines that would be fun to run on this ARF Clown, just have to work out a tank mount also. I have a Black Widow stuck on there right now and with that and prop I don't think it goes over 7 ounces!!  This will give me something to learn how to tie the knots for the new fishing line also.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

Motorman:
Usually when you use something like that you shorten the nose. Switching from Golden Bee to TD would make you a bit nose heavy.

Dave Hull:
Hmmm. The ones I saw years ago were not impressive. My recollection is that they were wood, with the paint coming off. Lots of nitro, right?

You want to give beams a try I'd make your own mount from scratch. Lots of different ways to do that.

Dave

kenneth cook:
               I have the mounts you mention. The idea is terrific but as Dave mentions, not impressive in terms of durability. They're T shaped pieces of plywood painted blue.  I have a TD on mine and it's more for entertainment due to flying like a combat plane. I believe I'm going to switch it back to a Medallion.

Dan McEntee:

--- Quote from: kenneth cook on April 20, 2022, 02:21:49 PM ---               I have the mounts you mention. The idea is terrific but as Dave mentions, not impressive in terms of durability. They're T shaped pieces of plywood painted blue.  I have a TD on mine and it's more for entertainment due to flying like a combat plane. I believe I'm going to switch it back to a Medallion.

--- End quote ---

Thanks, this tells me what I wanted to know. From the pictures on the web site I would have thought they were plastic.  I need to dig around in some junk boxes and see what the smallest  SIG aluminum mounts I have are. They used to sell these T-shaped aluminum mounts in 3 sizes, like small, medium and large. During a tour of the SIG factory when we first started to go to the SIG contest, I saw the long extruded aluminum bars that they used to cut those from. I could probably cut some from some aluminum plate have stashed in my shed.  They eventually quit those and went all plastic and even those I think they only sell in one size now, if at all.  This is all just for some fun and games to play with some of the stuff I have collected over the years.
  Thanks a lot,
   Dan McEntee

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version