News:

• March 28, 2024, 12:22:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brodak Baby Clown ARF/ Engine Mount  (Read 1624 times)

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Brodak Baby Clown ARF/ Engine Mount
« on: April 20, 2022, 08:12:55 AM »
     In cleaning and and trying to gain some sort of order in my world I have been working on finishing some small projects. One of those is a Brodak Baby Clown ARF that I acquired. It was incomplete and missing some odds and ends but the big pieces were there. It was missing the rudder, so I pulled out an original PDQ Baby Clown kit I have to copy those parts. Boy! A big  difference! But I made some adjustments and got something carved out that will work. One thing I noticed in the few bits of paper work and on the box art was some adapters to allow bolting a beam mount engine to the radial mount nose piece. I had not ever seen those before. I looked them up on the Brodak website and they still show the mounts there. . They are only a few bucks but with shipping the way things are I may have to really scour the site t see if I can come up with enough stuff to warrant the cost. They look like an injection molded part. Are these worth the effort or could something be made similarly out of 1/4" plywood? I have a bunch of different beam mounted 1/2A engines that would be fun to run on this ARF Clown, just have to work out a tank mount also. I have a Black Widow stuck on there right now and with that and prop I don't think it goes over 7 ounces!!  This will give me something to learn how to tie the knots for the new fishing line also.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
Re: Brodak Baby Clown ARF/ Engine Mount
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2022, 11:47:21 AM »
Usually when you use something like that you shorten the nose. Switching from Golden Bee to TD would make you a bit nose heavy.

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2022, 01:35:21 PM »
Hmmm. The ones I saw years ago were not impressive. My recollection is that they were wood, with the paint coming off. Lots of nitro, right?

You want to give beams a try I'd make your own mount from scratch. Lots of different ways to do that.

Dave

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2022, 02:21:49 PM »
               I have the mounts you mention. The idea is terrific but as Dave mentions, not impressive in terms of durability. They're T shaped pieces of plywood painted blue.  I have a TD on mine and it's more for entertainment due to flying like a combat plane. I believe I'm going to switch it back to a Medallion.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2022, 04:18:18 PM »
               I have the mounts you mention. The idea is terrific but as Dave mentions, not impressive in terms of durability. They're T shaped pieces of plywood painted blue.  I have a TD on mine and it's more for entertainment due to flying like a combat plane. I believe I'm going to switch it back to a Medallion.

Thanks, this tells me what I wanted to know. From the pictures on the web site I would have thought they were plastic.  I need to dig around in some junk boxes and see what the smallest  SIG aluminum mounts I have are. They used to sell these T-shaped aluminum mounts in 3 sizes, like small, medium and large. During a tour of the SIG factory when we first started to go to the SIG contest, I saw the long extruded aluminum bars that they used to cut those from. I could probably cut some from some aluminum plate have stashed in my shed.  They eventually quit those and went all plastic and even those I think they only sell in one size now, if at all.  This is all just for some fun and games to play with some of the stuff I have collected over the years.
  Thanks a lot,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2022, 08:19:33 PM »
Mr. Dan,
There are plastic mounts for beam-mount engines. If you intend on swapping from Tee Dee/Medallions to Babe Bees, then that is the route you want to go.

Otherwise, cut the fuselage and glue in two beams/bearers and side-mount your Tee Dee/Medallion. The other way is to lay some balsa spacers to either side of the fuselage and the bearers to the outside. See on Outerzone, for beams in cheek cowls on the Stuntman 23 at the top of the plan, the 15" Brewster Buffalo, and then the Freshman 09 for a horizontal plywood beam carrier for upright installs.

I chose the first option for a Scientific P-40 that I drilled the firewall for a Golden Bee, then drilled my plastic mount to match the Golden Bee pattern. See the build here: https://www.coxengineforum.com/t11364-1960-scientific-p-40-profile-kit?highlight=Scientific+p40
« Last Edit: April 20, 2022, 08:41:00 PM by 944_Jim »

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2022, 12:02:14 AM »
One way to do this is with a little "metal magic."  Probably be easiest and plenty good using .050 soft aluminum.

Dave

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2022, 12:58:45 PM »
Mr. Dave,
Thanks for that drawing. Very creative! It is printed and glued to my Hobby closet wall now.

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2022, 10:02:38 PM »
Porsche Jim,

Sorry the picture is sideways. You kind of lose something in the communication there...but not sure why attaching it to the forum automatically rotated it. Maybe it expects (or converts) everything to landscape from portrait?

The Divot

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2022, 05:13:46 AM »
That's ok. I turned it before I stuck on the wall. That way I wouldn't  have to turn the wall to look at it. LL~

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2022, 09:22:44 PM »
   Thanks for all the suggestions and reminders guys. I dug around in my stash and found some old Ace R/C 1/2A engine mounts like the black one in Jim's photos and I just won two more on eBay. I also found some Dave Brown engines mounts for small beam mount engines, part numbers 0405, and 0506 I think they are, and they are still made and reasonably priced. I also have a good supply of aluminum T stock that I can make some similar mounts from. I saved Dave's drawing for formed metal engine mount just because I like to play with metal still and should have plenty of material to wrinkle some of those. I'll do some measuring and make up some paper dolls of of some of these and see if I can make up a more detail drawing to add to this thread for others to find. The 1/16" thick K&S stock should work for this mount, and some duck billed vice grips and some good, square linemen's pliers should be all the tools required to make something like that. I'll add some plywood mounting plates like the old Goldberg Wizard used to help with easy switching out of engines during flying sessions and I'll be all set.
  Thanks a lot!!
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2022, 03:15:35 PM »
              I never had good luck using Dave Brown mounts for 1/2A's. The sheet metal screws they provide don't work well in my opinion. What I've experienced in using them is that they bulge the material. Combined with vibration, the mounts usually fails on the rear holes. What I did try and had success in doing so using them was to drill the mounts and tap the material for 2-56 screws and this stopped the above. Dubro offers #2 self tapper with a hex head which I wanted to try. They seem as if they're more suited for this application. I fabricated a mounted which I was using Norvel's on which was similar to Dave's picture. It worked well but it was short lived due to cracking. I was using .093 T-6 6061 and even with a 1/8" radius the material cracked on the bends from the firewall. This didn't happen during fabrication, it occurred when the engine was running.

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2022, 04:22:31 PM »
Well, so much for the picture glued to my Hobby Closet wall. Thanks, Ken, for keeping me from wasting time. I wonder if someone has the print files and material call-out to just print them?

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here