News:

• May 10, 2024, 06:44:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Blackhawk Models PT-19 project  (Read 44443 times)

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Blackhawk Models PT-19 project
« on: February 14, 2016, 09:51:26 PM »
 I'm planning to start in on a Blackhawk Models PT-19 real soon. When finished this one will be used by our club as a basic flight trainer for "first-timer" kids interested in giving C/L flying a try. I'm looking forward to the project, it will be a nice simple, relaxing build. Power will be a good 'ol Cox .049, maybe even a Golden Bee or Black Widow. It would be fun to get a look at some others, does anyone here have any finished photos of their own examples?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 10:12:24 PM by wwwarbird »
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
Re: Blackhawk Models PT-19 project
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 09:58:48 PM »
Hey Wayne! I don't have a bunch of pics, but the video here's shows it more complete. The pic is before the rudder and control system. I got it from bmjr models.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 10:18:53 PM »
 Neat video Dane, thanks!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 09:17:34 PM by wwwarbird »

Wayne Willey

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 07:08:34 PM »
Wayne, I'm kinda surprised there's not a lot more responses. I always thought this was a very popular model by black hawk!

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 09:20:32 PM »
 Dane,

It's been a little while since I looked at it, but my kit has some differences from what yours looks like. It's different from the photos on Blackhawk's website too. I do know that my kit has a built up sheet fuse with a top block, it's not a hollow log type. The fuse sides extend forward from the firewall along each side of the engine too. Also, per the kit design, the wing is rubber banded on like the original Cox model. As usual I'll be making some changes as I go, both for appearance and structural integrity.

Once I get going on it I'll be posting updates and pics like I usually do, that might wake a few up.  D>K

Wayne Willey

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 09:00:19 AM »
Here are a couple thoughts if you really plan to make this a basic trainer, not a beauty queen.

You need to fly over grass with no landing gear. 

If you do that with a low-winger, the wing hits the ground first & gets all beat up.  While the CoX PT-19 is a historic icon, it's not such a good trainer.  Cox ran programs in which they donated a lot of PT-19's that got splattered on the pavement without actually teaching many kids to fly.

A basic wood hollow log with the wing on top and goodly amount of tip weight is a better bet.
Paul Smith

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 08:56:55 PM »

Thanks for the tips Paul. There are definitely better candidates for basic trainers, and we already have some in the club, but this PT-19 will just be another to add to the group. You can only ask so much of a heavy sheet wing design. This one will have landing gear, I feel that takeoffs are typically easier that way than catching up with and recovering from a hand launch. The wing will be fixed too, not rubber banded on per the kit design. I'll end up making some other changes too that will help a bit with durability.

Wayne Willey

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2016, 10:56:42 AM »
Rubber-banding the wing was never a really hot tip for CL.   But a rubber band engine mount is a good thing for 1/2A.   The firewalls were always coming off the old Scientific logs.

In one field repair I shoved an Allen wrench through the body and used it to anchor the rubber bands to hold the engine mount until the glue dried.  Then flew the plane that way for the rest of its life.
Paul Smith

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 08:37:42 PM »

Ok, the kit I've got is definitely different than Dane's version. I got a chance to dig it back out tonight and what I have is the "Deluxe" kit. Apparently Blackhawk offers both this and the hollow log version like Dane's.

This one has a 25-1/2" wingspan and comes complete with a Cox .049 and prop. Everything is laser cut. The fuse sides and all the tail surfaces are plywood. I didn't measure, but they all look to be 3/32". I'm not sure I'm sold on using the ply tail surfaces, we'll see. I can already see myself laminating a 1/16" balsa sheet to the outside of the fuse sides, but we'll see about that too. There is a complete hardware kit including plastic wheels and a pair of U.S. Insignia decals that appear to be the good ones from Sig. All in all it looks like it should be a fun little project.

Wayne Willey

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2016, 10:05:58 AM »
Wow! I've never seen that one before Wayne. There's two different current production models from black hawk. I've built one, the other is on the to do list. One is kit number FS1000 and that's the hollow log. The other is actually a profile. Both look cool. But are much smaller than the one you have. I believe they are 18" WS

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2016, 11:17:29 AM »
At Black Hawk Models we discontinued the profile "PT-19" and replaced it with the NEW "Cox Trainer" (name change so as to not confuse buyers).  The reason that the tail pieces are made of plywood is that they are held in place with rubber bands that would cut into the balsa wood otherwise.  We did everything we could to make this plane as unbreakable as possible.  The slot in the center of the wing is for an alignment piece to make sure that the wing is put back into the correct place after a hard landing.  Dowel rods are added to the edges of the balsa wing to keep the rubber bands from cutting into the wing.  There are several other inovations to make this the perfect trainer.  You will find that with a Babe Bee engine the plane is heavy and will tend to not get away from the beginning flier.  Putting more power to the plane will make it able to loop, is that what you want in a basic trainer?

I hope that you all are aware that Black Hawk Models is currently shutting down operations and several kits are no longer available.

Larry
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 11:44:55 AM by LARRY RICE »

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2016, 03:02:51 PM »
Larry...wait a sec...I was understanding that the Canadian operation was imminent and we would see many of the discontinued modes re surface?

WTF....sorry that is hard... whats up brother, I am waiting for a few models I never bought and are now unobtanium
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2016, 04:59:57 PM »
The models were due to start comming out last month - I have not seen any yet and have little contact with the Canadian company.  I am waiting to see - but I am not holding my breath.  I hope that he will start releasing model kits soon.  He has another business with large scale R/C kit manufacturing, I think that they are taking up his most of his time.

I hope to be out of all model business by late April, I may do some design work if things work out but I have had some major health problems this year.

Larry

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2016, 06:27:51 PM »

Thanks for the information Larry, it's nice to know the history of the series.

I do understand the intended features designed into the kit, I'm just going to dress this one up a bit though and also build it as a "one-piece" model. It seems I can't ever get myself to simply build something right from the box.

Sorry to hear of the dissolution of Blackhawk, I should have gotten my Phantom Mk XV while I had the chance.

Wayne Willey

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2016, 07:51:03 PM »
... but I have had some major health problems this year.

I hope you get better.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2016, 10:34:23 PM »
Thanks Tim, but I do not see that happening, I am just planning on going on as long as I can.  I worked every day of my life, usually two jobs at a time, now I am 71 it is time to spend as much time as I have left loving my beautiful wife. 

Bless you all for letting me make a difference.

Larry

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2016, 11:11:50 PM »
Larry, i want to thank you for everything you've done. Black hawk models have been a very fun part of my life. Wether it was airplane models or tether car kits, it was the most fun kit a person could get. I've collected the cards, and my field box is plastered with black hawk squadron stickers. I just bought my step son 2 tether car kits.
Thank you for all the kind emails. Thank you for all the nice things you've said about the pics I've sent to you. God bless you man!

Sorry for sidetracking the post Wayne

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2016, 06:34:50 PM »
Sorry for sidetracking the post Wayne

You're not at all Dane, and yes, thank you Larry for all of your efforts and contributions to our hobby, wishing you the best! y1

Started chipping away on the PT last night...

So far, since I prefer to finish balsa more than I do plywood, I've laminated a 1/32" balsa sheet to what will be the exterior sides of the fuse. I used a very thin layer of 30 minute epoxy and then weighted it down to cure. I am also going to cut about 3/8" off all along the top of the sheet fuselage sides for a lower finished profile, simply for a better look.
 I razor sawed a centerline in the wing and gave it a 1/2" of dihedral at each tip, again only for a better finished appearance. I reinforced the bottom of the wing at that section with some cloth tape and 30 minute epoxy as well. Once the wing is attached to the fuse I'll then add a fillet using Aero-Fil and it'll be all good to go.
 I've decided to use the plywood stab and elevator and I have them sanded and ready for hinging with CA and some fishing line. I do think I'll make a new fin and rudder from 1/8" balsa.
 I'll also be bending up a new landing gear using some slightly heavier wire than what was provided in the kit. Another detail will be substituting a 2-56 threaded rod and clevis for the stock kit pushrod.

I'll add some photos when I have a little more time... ;D
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 10:04:09 PM by wwwarbird »

Wayne Willey

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2016, 08:48:46 AM »
Larry

Thanks for the update and best wishes from our family to yours

Each and every BH model I did get was fun to read the box, a joy to build, and in the case of the Mongoose and Demon kits allowed me to re-live my youth

Thanks for all you have done and are doing still

I am enjoying the PT-19 build

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2016, 09:57:41 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, but it has always been our fine customers who made Black Hawk Models everything that they were. 

H^^ thank to all of our customers and friends, you have made making these kits worthwhile.

Larry

Offline bob jablonski

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2016, 10:08:11 AM »
Not good news Larry. I have been hoping the out of production would be coming back on line.
Mr. Bob
Countyline Hobbies
Grovertown, IN.
574-540-1123
countylinhobbies@yahoo.com
www.countylinehobbies.com

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2016, 07:28:32 AM »
I would like to clear up one point in reply to the comment that the Cox version didn't fly well. My club, the Knights of the Round Circle has trained truly hundreds of kids with the model. They fly well and take a heck of a beating.  Not only can they do loops and wingovers, I actually have done square loops with them (inside only, of course). I don't know who designed it, but he did a heck of a good job! It was in production for at least 25 years that I know of.

It is great that Blackhawk is producing a model with the same "bashability"!  H^^
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2016, 01:31:52 PM »
Larry, you are right, the last time that I flew a "Cox Pt-19" I was amazed by it's performance.  I based the "COX TRAINER" on the "PT-19" because I wanted a plane that could break apart and be ready to fly again in minutes.  Since I was looking for the perfect trainer for clubs running a program like yours, I opted to make this one a bit less responsive and more durable.  I hope that these kits will be available again soon.  Our first run of 35 kits sold out in about 3 weeks. 

Larry
Black Hawk Models

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2016, 12:39:32 PM »
We, Melvin Schuette and I had the privelage of helping Dale Kirn at the NATS.  It was not unusual for some of the youngsters to solo the Cox PT-19.   I wonder now if the young lad still has the kit Dale gave him at the end of the day.   I mean he was one of the first to sign up for a flight.  Every hour Dale would pull a name out of the box, names of those that had tried to fly.  This young man signed up every hour.  He also helped with retrieving the planes.  Needless to say at the end of the day when the last name was drawn he did not get his name drawn.  Talk about a sad face.   Then Dale called him to the table and said take this.  It was the full package with plane, lines, handle, fuel and battery.   That young man left with a grin from ear to ear and the hug he gave Dale was worth the time we spent that day.   
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2016, 02:58:17 PM »
Not touting my horn...but the RC club I used to belong to partnered with an Army (Fort hood) senior Chaplin who ran a youth ministry that included modeling and we supported him

The story Doc just related happened to us also... one kid was Johnny on the spot to do anything and every thing but never won the monthly prizes...

At the end of one day I saw him sad sacking on the bleachers and asked him where his folks were... They were there, so I went over to them and asked if it be OK for me to donate a bunch of my stuff to the boy...mom was a bit hesitant but dad was ok so I took dad to my car and loaded him up with a few kits, two engines, fuel, starting stuff, props,  a bunch of glue and finishing materials and all the other bit of kit needed to successfully build and fly a RC or CL model... including a el cheapo Specktrum Dx5e, batteries, servos yadda yadda... mostly stuff excess to me and mostly my entry lever kit n bits

I really enjoy seeing him at local RC group fun flies with such a big grin and still running all over helping every body

He did build, fly and rekit the Brodak baby clown and is saving his allowance for a real CL plane like a Ringmaster so I gave him a good running Fox .35 and a few props about a month ago

If every body would just get ONE kid interested we DOUBLE our foot print

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2016, 08:36:39 PM »

As the dust settles, here's a few updates on where I'm at...

I've got the fuse sides trimmed down and sanded. I reshaped the cockpit openings as well. They were just plain round circle cutouts but I squared up the rear portion just a little bit. I then added a piece of 1/64" ply to the underside of the cutouts to close them up from the outside.

I also reshaped the fin/rudder to a more scale appearing outline, sanded the offset angle into it, and have it ready to glue up.

Next was some sanding to clean up the wing dihedral joint, and then I "fine-tuned" the wingtip outline a bit too.

Wayne Willey

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2016, 08:38:19 PM »

Fin/rudder, before/during/after...

Wayne Willey

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2016, 08:41:02 PM »
 Wing center work and wingtip before/after...
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 09:47:54 PM by wwwarbird »

Wayne Willey

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2016, 08:43:41 PM »

Starting fuse assembly...

Wayne Willey

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2016, 08:43:45 PM »
 To help with some activity through the winter months our Piston Poppers club holds a "Club Building Session" the first Sunday of January February and March. I brought the PT along today and got a few more things done. In between the usual BS-ing that goes on I glued the tail end of the fuselage together and then attached the fuselage top piece. After that I sanded the fuse sides flush with the top and squared it all up. Next on that will be rounding it across the top over the full length of the fuselage. Then I picked up the wing and got the L/E, T/E, and wingtips all rounded and sanded to shape. All the other parts are pretty close to ready to go now too, I'm almost ready to glue it all together and make an airplane out of it...

Wayne Willey

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2016, 08:54:55 PM »
 Just by coincidence todays Club Building Session ended up being kind of a "1/2A day". I was working on the PT, Keith Sandberg put the finishing touches on his Stunt Rocket, getting the engine and tank all mounted and plumbed, and Rachel Sandberg did the same with her new Ringmaster. Keith brought along a Nobler he picked up on Ebay too. My eyes are still blurry from all of Rachel's polka dots... n~

Wayne Willey

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2016, 09:15:07 PM »
 NOTE: I'd feel I should also mention in this thread that all of the modifications I'm doing here to Larry's Blackhawk PT-19 kit are completely unnecessary. The PT-19 would be a great build and fly well even if built straight out-of-the-box. My thing is I just can't seem to leave anything alone when building, I enjoy putting my own little "tweaks" in here and there as I go. In this case I mainly wanted to just build it as a "one-piece" airplane instead of the engineered-in rubber band assembly. That, and a few minor hardware and cosmetic changes, and we're moving right along. H^^

Wayne Willey

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2016, 10:09:58 AM »
1/2A day looks like great fun Wayne! I like doing that with the kids.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2016, 08:24:26 PM »

I was wondering, does anyone know if the Nobler pictured above is a kit or? This one came off of Ebay, already built.

Wayne Willey

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2016, 08:26:57 PM »
At Black Hawk Models our main goal was not to just to give you a simple to build, good flying model but to encourage the model builder to make the model their own.  To make our kit personal in color, shape and style, encourages creativity, and that is what model building is all about, or at least it should be.

Larry
BHM

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2016, 08:53:37 PM »
 Got a few more things done on the PT over the past couple evenings...

Last night I sanded a radius into the top of the fuselage and then epoxied the wing into place. Sanding that radius is a lot easier without the wing in the way. Tonight was mounting all of the tail surfaces, it is now officially a "one-piece" airplane.

I also decided to move the bellcrank mount inboard from where it was. I made a balsa plug for the original laser cut hole, epoxied it in place, and then sanded it flush with the wing surface. I'm not sure why the mount was out so far on the wing, my moving it in will get the pushrod running closer alongside the fuselage. After that the leadout guide was also epoxied into the wing.

Next will be bending up a new landing gear, laminating it into the firewall, and then mounting that as an assembly.  ;D

Wayne Willey

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2016, 12:38:27 AM »
Coming along very nicely.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2016, 09:56:03 PM »
 A little more tinkering on the PT tonight.

First was marking and drilling pilot holes for the engine mount in the kit firewall so that I could make sure and "miss" those with the L/G wire placement. Then I positioned the wire, traced it, and milled a groove into the firewall with the Dremel. After that the L/G was laminated into it with 30 minute epoxy and additional layer of light ply...

Wayne Willey

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2016, 09:59:23 PM »

...next I made up a small block to add inside the tail end of the fuselage. I'm planning on sheeting the bottom yet with 1/16" balsa and then using a Carl Goldberg nylon tail skid. The block inside the fuselage will give a nice sturdy point for the pegs of the tailskid to bite into...

Wayne Willey

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2016, 10:02:35 PM »

..and then I made up a couple little "fairing" pieces for each side of the vertical fin to cosmetically blend the fuselage to the tail. These will also add a bit of strength to the tail assembly.  ;D

Wayne Willey

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re:
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2016, 05:08:32 PM »
Coming along really nice!!!!!
Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2016, 09:31:45 PM »
 Got a few more things done on the PT tonight.

In preparing to mount the firewall assembly I first plugged the rectangular hole in the fuselage top block. This hole was intended as a locating hole for the rubber band "breakaway" firewall of the original kit design. I simply epoxied in a piece of scrap wood to fill it in, then I can cut it off and sand it flush later on...
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 10:17:40 PM by wwwarbird »

Wayne Willey

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2016, 09:36:17 PM »

After that the firewall assembly was glued in using 30 minute epoxy and I also added some balsa triangle stock supports on the inside. Notice that I had also predrilled the pilot holes for the engine mounting, it's much easier to do before the firewall is in the airplane...

Wayne Willey

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2016, 09:41:23 PM »
 Another added detail was making a light ply bellcrank mount reinforcement for the bottom side of the wing. Once complete and with the bellcrank mounted this makes for a "sandwiched" assembly in the wing along with the top mount, greatly increasing the overall strength of the mount...
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 07:35:00 PM by wwwarbird »

Wayne Willey

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2016, 09:44:09 PM »
 Next, I went around to the underside of the tail and added some stab "holder-onner-helper-thingies". These were made using some 1/4" balsa triangle stock. Combined with the upper "fairings" shown a few steps earlier this should make the tail assembly a bit more durable...

Wayne Willey

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2016, 09:47:14 PM »

Then, with 30 minute epoxy curing on all of this, it was time to walk away for the night and toss a pizza in the oven.  ;D

Wayne Willey

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2016, 09:19:27 PM »
 On The Wheels. For some reason, even with a little 1/2A bugger, there's always something about getting to this point in any build.  o2oP

Wayne Willey

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2016, 05:23:02 PM »
You are now at the part I dread most, finishing.   I love what you have done with this design. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2016, 07:33:37 PM »

Thanks Doc, this will be a pretty easy one to finish up.  y1

Wayne Willey

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2016, 10:59:50 PM »
Thanks Doc, this will be a pretty easy one to finish up.  y1

I don't know Wayne. That's a lot of tiny little curves to monokote.....

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2016, 06:52:42 PM »
I don't know Wayne. That's a lot of tiny little curves to monokote.....

Monokote? What's that? :##

Wayne Willey

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2016, 09:13:59 PM »
 Well, we got the fuselage closed up tonight...

First a piece was made from 1/16" balsa to reach from the firewall all the way to the tail. The proper shape was determined by simply pressing the sheet against the bottom of the fuselage and then tracing the fuselage sides. After cutting the outline it was sanded for a perfect fit all around. Then I marked a centerline across the wing chord and cut a slit in it from front to rear to "relieve" the piece over the wing dihedral area during attachment. In the one close-up photo the slit can just be seen, running between the two red Sharpie dots.

Then it got tricky. I discovered it was going to take about eight hands to hold pressure everywhere that would be necessary during the attachment because of the varying contours from front to rear. I don't have eight hands so I ended up gluing just the front section down first, from across the wing L/E to the firewall. I used 5 minute epoxy, and held it for ten minutes.

Next, I taped off the wing root line on the wing surface and then dribbled CA all down the inside of the fuselage sheet from the wing T/E forward. I taped the wing root off first so that the CA wouldn't ooze into that area as I squeezed the sheet down during attachment. It took all eight fingers and both thumbs.

Finally, I got out the Titebond and attached the rear section. I used Titebond for that step because again I couldn't hold down it everywhere it needed to be at the same time. I could have probably pinned it but it took quite a bit of pressure to get it to lay down well, and I didn't really want to pepper the thing with pinholes either. I ended up pulling it down tight with blue tape, Ace bandage style, working my way from the wing T/E to the tail.

Boy, that was easy! n~

Wayne Willey

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2016, 08:20:43 AM »
I use masking tape in place of pins most times.   Can you imagine doing this back when I started, no epoxy, no CA and no Elmers.  It was either Duco, Testors and/or Ambroid.  The model is looking better,
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2016, 09:54:39 AM »
The boys in my hood bought real hollow logs for $1.49, Testors glue for 20 cents and paint for 15 cents a bottle.
The build was about two days.
The useful life might be more or less than the build time.
Stunt Masters at $1.95 were kids' toys.

Paul Smith

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2016, 11:57:55 AM »
Well, back then when I was just starting,  the Scientific American Boy at $1.00 was all I could afford. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Steve Scott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • Terrorizing earthworms since '65
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2016, 06:04:51 PM »
The boys in my hood bought real hollow logs for $1.49, Testors glue for 20 cents and paint for 15 cents a bottle.
The build was about two days.
The useful life might be more or less than the build time.
Stunt Masters at $1.95 were kids' toys.

I had the Scientific ME-109.  Sheet aluminum cowl.  We flew it inside a large shed which was mostly open on the 4 sides.  Made a couple of flights in a day then I don't remember whatever happened to it.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2016, 08:51:29 PM »
 Made a little more progress over the past couple evenings...

The Blackhawk kit does provide some clear sheet plastic for making a pair of windscreens, but again I didn't feel that they'd be up to some of the "rigors" this model will likely be subjected to. Looking naked without them though it needed some representation, so I made a couple out of solid balsa. Kinda corny looking but they'll do the job.

After that was adding a support/brace piece forward of the firewall, between the lower part of the fuselage sides. I thought that would help toughen up the nose a bit more. Those couple of steps now complete the "build" portion of the PT-19 project.

We're into finishing now. Tonight it got the first two coats of 50/50 Brodak clear. After it dries and it all gets a light sanding I'm going to do some light fillet work in a few areas with Aero-Fil. Once that's all done it will be full bore into the final finishing. ;D

Wayne Willey

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2016, 08:57:23 PM »
Monokote? What's that? :##

Ultracote? Haha!
Looking good Wayne

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2016, 09:56:59 PM »
Ultracote? Haha!
Looking good Wayne

Ha! Those who know me also know that I like iron on coverings about as much as I like electric power for these things. ;D

I will admit that Rigotti is a master in finishing with the plastic stuff though. y1

Wayne Willey

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2016, 08:44:13 PM »
 Doh, I almost forgot to put the tip weight in! :o

Got that done last night. First I marked and "routed" a recess into the bottom of the wing with the Dremel and a small bit. I did that so the kit supplied tip weight washer would end up fitting more flush to the wing surface when finished. Then I sanded each side of the washer for a better glue grip, filled the recess with 30 minute epoxy, and then set the washer into the wing, "burying" it...

Wayne Willey

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2016, 08:48:57 PM »
 Tonight I went back and did some fillet work using Aero-Fil. That's it for the build, now after a couple more coats of clear and some sanding it'll be time to start painting. ;D

Wayne Willey

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2016, 02:09:29 PM »
I just spoke to the fellow in Canada who is suppose to make our kits, maybe by Fall.  Question:  If this kit was back in production, would you want one.  We offered it with or without an engine but I do not think that an engine will be included in the new kits.  The list price was $66.00 the kit was all laser cut.  Sowhat do you think?

Larry

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2016, 05:45:22 PM »
I'm in for one! Wayne can fly here to Vegas and work on it with me... Lol

Offline scott v.

• 23 supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2016, 12:24:31 PM »
I would certainly buy one!

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2016, 09:10:14 PM »

Tonight the PT got a good coat of DC540 primer shot on it and then all sanded out. The NAPA DC540 works really well, I shot a good heavy coat over the entire model and was sanding it 20 minutes later with 400, no problem. The plane is all ready to start shooting color on it now. I'm hoping to get the yellow airbrushed on the wings and tail after work tomorrow night. ;D

Wayne Willey

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2016, 08:13:33 PM »

Just finished the first bit of color. Yellow never covers well at all so those areas were shot with white first. As soon as the white was done I went right from that to spraying the yellow over it. Next will be masking off those areas and shooting the fuselage with Miami Blue.  ;D

Wayne Willey

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2016, 08:04:54 PM »
 Got the Miami Blue splattered on tonight. :##

Here we are masking and spraying...

Wayne Willey

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2016, 08:06:24 PM »
 ...and unwrapped. ;D

Wayne Willey

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2016, 07:49:51 AM »
I like it Wayne

Each of your modifications is noted for my some day build

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2016, 05:04:10 PM »
Wayne it surely is lookin good!
Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #70 on: April 08, 2016, 08:32:31 PM »

Thanks guys. ;D

Tonight was painting in the windscreen "glass" and the cockpit areas. Here we are masking and painting...

Wayne Willey

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #71 on: April 08, 2016, 08:35:14 PM »

...and the result.  ;D

Wayne Willey

Jim Roselle

« Reply #72 on: April 08, 2016, 09:11:49 PM »
Looks great! I need to spring for an airbrush.

Jim

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
    • Sean Emery funny guy juggling and stuff
« Reply #73 on: April 08, 2016, 09:40:05 PM »
Truly nice...and in your good meticulious fashion. Sorry I won't be able to come to the building sessions. Gigs and moving daughter to Chicago.
Those kids will have some good planes to fly.
But not as good looking as yours.
Shug
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #74 on: April 08, 2016, 10:07:14 PM »
 Jim,

An airbrush makes a LOT of things easier, especially with smaller projects like this. You also use a LOT less paint overall.

Other than the rattle can primer that was used I've painted this entire model with my cheapo Badger 350 airbrush. I've actually gotten to where about the only time I use my spray detail gun anymore is for very large color areas on bigger planes, and final clear coat work. Even there it kind of depends on the task(s) at hand. On the Nobler/P-40 project that I recently finished I did the entire model with the airbrush except for the final clear. On it I don't think I even used a 1/4th of the paint it would have taken with the detail gun. Another bonus of course is that less paint=less weight.

Getting pretty close on the little PT now, paint work is finished and now I just have to wait for the mailman to deliver a bit of vinyl I've had cut for it. Get that stuff put on and then maybe a little clear coat and we'll have her whipped! y1

Wayne Willey

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #75 on: April 09, 2016, 10:08:39 AM »
This is a lot of work for a little 1/2A.  It looks really great right now.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #76 on: April 20, 2016, 06:31:44 PM »
 Thanks Doc, and everyone. Yeah, a lot more work than necessary going on here but I've been having fun with the "upgrades" and applying some "big plane" techniques and details. I figure there's no reason a 1/2A plane shouldn't be nicely finished too. ;D

Yesterday the mailman finally brought the last of the vinyl details I've been waiting for, back with finished pics here soon! o2oP

Wayne Willey

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #77 on: April 29, 2016, 06:43:52 PM »
 I've been slacking on the updates here, but I do finally have all of the graphics applied to the PT. y1

Well planned and laid out graphics make a BIG difference in the final result, no matter the size of the model. After carefully determining desired sizes of all insignias, lettering and numbers etc., here are some tricks that I typically use for accurate placement and alignment of graphics.

Preparing to add the U.S. Star insignias I figured I wanted them 1/2" back from the wing L/E. The first step then was to add a 1/2" wide strip of tape along the wing L/E to use as a reference and "set" the L/E to T/E spacing. Then I measured out from the fuselage sides and put a small Sharpie mark on the tape where the top center of the star needed to be, duplicating the same measurement and mark for each side, on both the top and bottom of the wings...
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 07:04:29 PM by wwwarbird »

Wayne Willey

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #78 on: April 29, 2016, 06:58:12 PM »
 Once all four star insignias are in place they then help create their own reference points for adding the rest of the graphics. y1

Next was adding the "U.S. ARMY" to the bottom of the wing. First step there was to simply add a piece of fine line masking tape all the way across the wing, from the top of one star insignia to the other. Since we already know that those insignias are properly placed that tape line then becomes the primary reference line that you base everything else off of.

Then, below that line, I added another 1/2" piece of green tape that is simply for use as a spacing and alignment reference for applying the graphic. (These processes are where it's very handy to have a lot of different widths of tape around, and even cutting your own custom "spacing" widths when necessary)

Next I drew reference lines onto the transfer paper of the actual graphic for alignment during application. After that was determining "center" of each graphic, marking it, and then measuring out from the fuselage sides and marking the green tape where I wanted that "center" to be. After that it's simply applying the graphic, aligning that "center" mark while also making sure the horizontal reference lines are properly lined up...
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 09:06:49 PM by wwwarbird »

Wayne Willey

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #79 on: April 29, 2016, 07:02:25 PM »
 With graphics you typically get ONE shot at proper application and placement. Taking a little extra time to plan, measure and line things up makes it a lot easier to get it all "right" and makes all the difference in the final result. ;D

Wayne Willey

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #80 on: April 30, 2016, 01:25:16 PM »
I guess this is not a true trainer, as there is more work in it than I would have done.   It does look awesome though. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #81 on: April 30, 2016, 11:48:42 PM »
I guess this is not a true trainer, as there is more work in it than I would have done.   It does look awesome though. H^^

Thanks Doc, but it is still just a basic sheet wing trainer. Paying attention to details while building does make a difference in how the small models perform and appear or "present" too though. Along with trying to offer some tips these are also thoughts and ideas I'm trying to point out or remind people of with this thread.

With the little PT here I've just been having some extra fun, practicing and testing some techniques with the build. Every once in a while I find it fun to take a break from the 'big" models and build a simple, small model. Part of that fun is trying to turn out a nice example of a model that most normally assume is just a "crappy" little plane. That doesn't always have to be the case though, the way I see it the smaller planes deserve a little extra time and a good finish too, it can be just as satisfying as doing the same with a "big" plane. y1

Anyway, as of a few nights ago the final clear is on, just gotta get a chance now to do the final assembly. ;D

Wayne Willey

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #82 on: May 12, 2016, 08:51:57 PM »

Wayne Willey