News:

• May 09, 2024, 02:46:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: BHM 1/2A auto gyro  (Read 30990 times)

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
Re: BHM 1/2A auto gyro
« Reply #100 on: January 14, 2007, 12:09:25 PM »
Ray----that blank check still needs to be signed, so I still have leeway. I would hope that letting Bob bask in my glow would be return enough. VD~

Now the pictures of the balloon are totally excellent!! I get the picture. y1

Just one question here Ray. Need I be concerned as to the relationship of the "floppy tank" in regards to it's being level with the needle valve?

No doubt it makes a difference, but maybe the 1/2As aren't as sensitive to it as the bigger engines...or maybe my skill level is low enough I don't notice such problems.  I just set the container on about the same level as the engine and have at it...it seems to work.  We're not looking for a 4/2/4 break, you know, just a reasonably consistent flat-out run.

--Ray
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #101 on: January 14, 2007, 01:31:42 PM »
No doubt it makes a difference, but maybe the 1/2As aren't as sensitive to it as the bigger engines...or maybe my skill level is low enough I don't notice such problems.  I just set the container on about the same level as the engine and have at it...it seems to work.  We're not looking for a 4/2/4 break, you know, just a reasonably consistent flat-out run.

--Ray

Plus.....We already know we won't be flying these inverted.
I decided to make a tin fuel tank for mine. I'll have pictures of it later. Nice thing about it is I can make it square and just wedge it in and epoxy it and forget about it. I'll be able to set the tank in there so as to get a decent cg. The Cox production engine is a good fit for the cowl. Thanks Ray.
Frank Carlisle

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #102 on: January 14, 2007, 01:37:37 PM »
Frank

That was my son's. He flew it some then lost interest. He also did a scratch build .15 plane. They were all given away before the great move 5 years ago. Along with all my other stunters, including a Saggita, a stilleto, My highly bashed and wonderful flying Tutor... with the 8 inch longer span and 22 in wide tail and the Big Art os .35's and most regretable of all, my Veco needle nose spinners. Yes, I know. Last summer I spoke with kid I gave them all to who really wanted to get into flying. He was visiting friends here on the Island. He couldn't remember what he did with them before going to college. His mom says they no longer have them but can't remember what they did with them.

Here are pics of the plane, a 21 in Scientific builtup wing P-40 with a Baby Bee 0.49 and I think a Wren 049 but not sure of that one. I emailed a more detailed pic of the motors to you.

bob

I did the same thing you did Bob. When I dropped out in '86 or '87 I sold my stunters to the bar at City Airport and gave the rest of the stuff away. I went back years later to see if the planes were still there. They were in a backroom with holes punched through the covering. There was a moment of pain there seeing that.
Yes....the pix you sent were great!! I hope you know that I will put the plane and engine to good use. Also you're welcome to handle time whenever you wish. y1
Frank Carlisle

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #103 on: January 14, 2007, 03:14:27 PM »
Ok here's some pics of my cowl(ing), I'm pretty happy with it.  the diagonal slot from the NV is necessary to a rotation to get the thing on.  Frank, I borrowed your attachment idea, a small basswood block glued to the firewall with a blind nut in it. (x3).  Very solid.  Surprisingly, getting the fuel line on through that hole is no problem at all. 

Note also the "cheeks" that round out the fuselage to the cowl line.  I'm pretty happy with that too. 

Now I gotta think of a finish scheme.

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #104 on: January 14, 2007, 05:01:37 PM »
That's very nice Ray........the cowl cut outs are very well done. I may have to add cheeks on the sides of mine too because it looks really good.
Not yellow?
Frank Carlisle

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #105 on: January 14, 2007, 06:52:22 PM »
Well, not yet...there's still time.

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #106 on: January 14, 2007, 06:56:35 PM »
Ya know Frank, you could make a cyclic controlled by down elevator input that would reverse the pitch of the rotor blade and it would fly inverted....
                     I just do it to get Frank's mind working. Keeps him young!

bob

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #107 on: January 15, 2007, 09:00:57 AM »
Hehe...yeah, work that out, Frank. 

I put the wing struts on my autogyro.  Drilled holes through the wing to anchor one end, cut a notch in the fuse for the other.  I had to kinda arbitrarily pick the spots but I think it looks pretty legitimate.  I'll post pics later after everything dries (also finally glued the rotor post in). 

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline Richard Grogan

• AMA Member 85745 Stunt Hangar
  • Admiral
« Reply #108 on: January 15, 2007, 09:40:40 AM »
Now I gotta think of a finish scheme.

--Ray

How about yellow on yellow? Maybe some yellow trim(yellow checkerboard or yellow stripes) and yellow tipped rotor blades??  ~>HB~> LL~
Long Live the CL Crowd!

AMA 85745

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #109 on: January 15, 2007, 11:13:08 AM »
You forgot the yellow polka dots, and the "yellow dog" insignia.

Just for that, I'm makin' it black!

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #110 on: January 15, 2007, 11:31:10 AM »
Raay----I need a quick reply here..........

Can you tell me about how long a run I can get from  half oz. of fuel with the Cox production engine?
Frank Carlisle

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #111 on: January 15, 2007, 11:43:27 AM »
Raay----I need a quick reply here..........

Can you tell me about how long a run I can get from  half oz. of fuel with the Cox production engine?

Maybe 3 minutes, depending on prop, needle setting, etc.  You might stretch it to 4, but certainly no more.

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #112 on: January 15, 2007, 12:04:29 PM »
Maybe 3 minutes, depending on prop, needle setting, etc.  You might stretch it to 4, but certainly no more.

--Ray

Well.....I think 3 mins. is plenty of time for this model so I'll go with the 1/2 oz. fuel tank. What do you think about a 3 minute run Ray?

Making the fuel tank took 3 tries so far. I tried to get it set up like the Cox PT-19  figuring that would give me a good run. The fuel tank in the pix satisfies those requirements. I did finally gouge through the fuselage making enough room for the tank but I glued a lil' piece of balsa in the hole and now you can't see where I gouged through.
I wanted to leave space between the back of the firewall and the tank so the engine could get plenty of air to breathe and also so the motor mount screws couldn't puncture the tank. Also I wanted to keep plenty of balsa where the rotor post comes through for adequate glue surface and structural strength. So I'm thinking the location I have the tank in is optimal.
Do you think we're driving Larry nuts with all of this to-do over a model that 12 year old kid put together in 3 hours? AND........we're getting more mileage out of this thread than a thread about a hi-zoot full bodied stunter.
Frank Carlisle

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #113 on: January 15, 2007, 12:22:40 PM »
Larry has given up and went on vacation. I will see you guys in about a week, I am sure that you will have test flown it by then.  LL~
Larry

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #114 on: January 15, 2007, 12:36:05 PM »
Larry has given up and went on vacation. I will see you guys in about a week, I am sure that you will have test flown it by then.  LL~
Larry

I kinda figured you were keeping an eye on us Larry. Can you imagine how tough your life would be if we were your design team?
 LL~ Oh..........and let's not forget the Mike Spiess and Leroy Hiekes are out there somewhere with the same model. At some point they're going to chime in.........and if Ray and I have missed something you can pretty much count on those guys to find it!! Plus I'm sure they will each somehow manage to complicate this model even more. y1
Frank Carlisle

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #115 on: January 15, 2007, 01:07:22 PM »
Build a model straight as is, right out of the box?  Where's the fun in that?

Tank looks good, Frank...will it sit higher than the engine?  May have a gravity-feed flooding potential if so. At worst, I guess it could just be held nose high during fueling/starting.  Where will the fuel line exit, top? side? bottom? Just curious.

As far as I'm concerned, a 3-minute run is just fine for sport flying.  With a fast plane, I sometimes find even that a little long!  I guess a serious stunter would need a 6- or 7-minute run, huh?  Which is why I have a 1.5 + oz. tank in the LIttleAxe. 

I'm sure Larry had no idea what he was getting into when he sold us these kits!  And about that 12-year-old and the 3-hour construction...with all due respect, I think he's pulling our respective legs. 

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #116 on: January 15, 2007, 02:06:34 PM »
Build a model straight as is, right out of the box?  Where's the fun in that?

Tank looks good, Frank...will it sit higher than the engine?  May have a gravity-feed flooding potential if so. At worst, I guess it could just be held nose high during fueling/starting.  Where will the fuel line exit, top? side? bottom? Just curious.

As far as I'm concerned, a 3-minute run is just fine for sport flying.  With a fast plane, I sometimes find even that a little long!  I guess a serious stunter would need a 6- or 7-minute run, huh?  Which is why I have a 1.5 + oz. tank in the LIttleAxe. 

I'm sure Larry had no idea what he was getting into when he sold us these kits!  And about that 12-year-old and the 3-hour construction...with all due respect, I think he's pulling our respective legs. 

--Ray

Yeah!!-------whoever heard of building according to plan? That is exactly why I avoid teaching other guys how to do things. They always vary course, and that's frustrating.

The tank pick up tube is a little lower than the screen on the back of the engine, hopefully (probably) it won't syphon.

The fill tube will stick out of the top and the pick up and overflow tubes will stick out of the bottom.

I'm relieved that you figure 3 mins. is plenty of run time for sport flying and I agree. A stunt run needs about 5 1/2 mins. plus an extra minute for getting to the handle etc. So your 1 1/2 oz. fuel capacity in the LittleAxe seems about right.

Larry will probably block e-mail from me. And you. Probably we'll be lucky if he ever sells us another kit.
Frank Carlisle

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #117 on: January 15, 2007, 02:44:44 PM »
Frank

That tank is so small I couldn't see it with magnifying glasses  n~

Its about as bad as indoor electric stuff! I'll stick to the bigger stuff I can see.

bob

Offline Richard Grogan

• Admiral
« Reply #118 on: January 15, 2007, 02:49:50 PM »
You forgot the yellow polka dots, and the "yellow dog" insignia.

Just for that, I'm makin' it black!

--Ray
Mebe some of that"pink" I used on the QBee..Cool Tank Frank! 3 minutes may screw you right into the ground though!! Naww, it'll be just right...I like this here project, I probably could of made it even more complicated with a Fox 15 on the nose... mw~ LL~
Long Live the CL Crowd!

AMA 85745

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #119 on: January 15, 2007, 03:11:59 PM »
Hey, go for it if you're man enough...
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #120 on: January 15, 2007, 04:21:22 PM »
Frank

That tank is so small I couldn't see it with magnifying glasses  n~

Its about as bad as indoor electric stuff! I'll stick to the bigger stuff I can see.

bob

Bob, I took your comment on the tank to heart and made a bigger one.

Actually in all of the excitement I plumbed that tank  so that the pick up tube was on the inside back corner, which of course we all know will not work. So I got out a Perfect brand fuel tank and took it apart and plumbed it for the auto-gyro. Naturally it didn't fit so I hogged out more balsa and got it in there. Finally the fuel tank and engine dilemma is solved and I can move on. Now to see what else I can complicate and do over a time or two. HB~>
Frank Carlisle

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #121 on: January 15, 2007, 04:26:11 PM »
Mebe some of that"pink" I used on the QBee..Cool Tank Frank! 3 minutes may screw you right into the ground though!! Naww, it'll be just right...I like this here project, I probably could of made it even more complicated with a Fox 15 on the nose... mw~ LL~

Thanks Richard---too bad I soldeded it up backwards.--------Are you building one of these?
Frank Carlisle

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #122 on: January 15, 2007, 06:22:28 PM »
Man, Frank, that tank doesn't look much better than that piece of cr*p you pawned off on me. (hehe)

what's the capacity?

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #123 on: January 15, 2007, 07:51:19 PM »
Man, Frank, that tank doesn't look much better than that piece of cr*p you pawned off on me. (hehe)

what's the capacity?

--Ray

That's why the tank goes inside the plane Ray. LL~
The capacity is a half ounce. So it's all the same.
It looks like I'll have the rest of the week off and I'm in building mode.
I'm thinking blue and white. y1

I got the cowl fit on. Still need to even things out but that can wait till tomorrow.
Frank Carlisle

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #124 on: January 16, 2007, 01:41:06 AM »
Lookin' good, lookin' good.  Where'd you get the neato spinner?

Notice your thrust line is a little higher than mine.  Wonder if that'll make any difference, and which one's better?  Mine certainly makes the glow plug more vulnerable to those landings about 2" BGL (Below Ground Level).  I'm getting pretty good at knocking off the glowplug post, I've got I think 4 Nelson plugs now with my "extended post" mod.

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline Leroy Heikes

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #125 on: January 16, 2007, 06:00:27 AM »
I'm still here, Reading all of the good information you have written. I'm currently in the middle of a Enterprise Camel which I have modified so a Brodak 0.49 is inside the cowl with a approx 1/2 oz tank installed under the Cockpit decking which necessitated the relocation of the bellcrank. As soon as I get that camera I'll post pictures of it in its own thread. The auto gyro is sitting on the bench. I have a Cox production engine actually enough to build two B36s, and another Brodak 0.049 and one Norvel 0.049, SO I have to decide which one to put in the Auto Gyro.

Leroy

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #126 on: January 16, 2007, 06:25:29 AM »
Hi Leroy, I got that check the other day,thanks.
I hope you do get a camera. You'll be impressed with how much money you save on film and developing.

Ray, that extended posst on the glow plug looks like it's begging to get knocked off. y1

It is snowing here in Detroit maybe a half inch so far. It's been a month since I went flying. I miss it.
Frank Carlisle

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #127 on: January 16, 2007, 08:05:38 AM »
Pore Frank...a whole month??  There's about 3-4" of snow on the ground here...worse, the temp is below zero with windchill approaching 25 below.  And even at that, we're not so bad off as my old home state, OK...one giant icecube..  Apparently the whole state is pretty much shut down.

All the struts are on; only thing left on my autogyro is the windshield, and that little tank hatch I have yet to come up with.  Then finishing of course.

--Ray

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #128 on: January 16, 2007, 09:32:35 AM »
It's been even longer since I've flown my stunter Ray. Every time I walk by it I think about the fuel residue in the fuel tank congealing. Oh well.
I don't feel so bad about the weather now that I know it's even colder and the snow is deeper at your house. LL~

I think what I'm going to do is a dope finish on my auto-gyro. But rather than assemble it and then finish it, I think I'll get all the parts fit and then put a finish on them and then do the final assembly. I think I'm going to go ahead and do scallops on the wing and fuselage. Probably in white with the scallops being blue. Then some red trim. Rotor blades black with yellow stripes on the tips. A pilot of course. My AMA number on the wing. Maybe AIRCARLISLE on the sides. Possibly some lettraset lettering. Ahhhhh...........the possibilities are endless aren't they?
Frank Carlisle

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #129 on: January 16, 2007, 04:00:54 PM »
Whaaaat, no stars?
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #130 on: January 16, 2007, 05:24:17 PM »
Here's pics as promised.  On the wing struts, I drilled angled holes in the wings for the lower end ands cut a double-wide notch in the fuselage for the upper ends. On the pylon struts, a similar approach: Shallow holes drilled in the fuse (1/8" to 3/16" deep), with the upper ends cut at the proper angle to meet the pylon.  I hadda sorta guess at locations, but it looks pretty right, I think.  I'll give you dimensions if you want, or maybe you can improve on what I did.

Next: Canopy (windshield)!

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #131 on: January 16, 2007, 07:36:39 PM »
That looks really good Ray!!.............Seeing yours all assembled struts and all gives me the idea that this was a unique and way cool build. The model is definitely different and very pleasing to look at. It looks like it's going to be a finishing nightmare with all that stuff in the way though.

You sure post little pictures--------are you using a matchbox camera?
Frank Carlisle

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #132 on: January 16, 2007, 07:40:19 PM »
Whaaaat, no stars?

Yes, no stars. In the beginning I just wanted to do one plane with stars. I wound up with a collection.
Frank Carlisle

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #133 on: January 17, 2007, 07:24:19 AM »

[/quote]

Well, you do realize don't you that if you click on the pictures they get bigger?  But yes, the camera I'm using is an early Olympus digital "D-220L" that I got from my daughter when the case cracked and she bought a new one.  It came with a 2 mb card which I found impossible to replace; the biggest the camera will handle is 8 mb, nearly ias difficult to find but I managed to pick one up.  The cracked case is held together with rubber bands, if I had another camera I'd post you a picture!  It also eats AA batteries, has no zoom or video, doesn't make me breakfast in the morning or play my favorite tunes.  Just takes barely-acceptable digital stills.  Someday when my daughter upgrades, I'll get her current one and take a quantum leap in quality.  Till then, just squint Frank, or break down and go find your glasses!

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #134 on: January 17, 2007, 08:02:46 AM »

Well, you do realize don't you that if you click on the pictures they get bigger?  But yes, the camera I'm using is an early Olympus digital "D-220L" that I got from my daughter when the case cracked and she bought a new one.  It came with a 2 mb card which I found impossible to replace; the biggest the camera will handle is 8 mb, nearly ias difficult to find but I managed to pick one up.  The cracked case is held together with rubber bands, if I had another camera I'd post you a picture!  It also eats AA batteries, has no zoom or video, doesn't make me breakfast in the morning or play my favorite tunes.  Just takes barely-acceptable digital stills.  Someday when my daughter upgrades, I'll get her current one and take a quantum leap in quality.  Till then, just squint Frank, or break down and go find your glasses!

--Ray

Oh yes Ray I do click on the pix and yours are still t-niney........You are probably using your computer program to crop and reduce them right? Maybe a lighter touch on the reduction would give a larger view. I really wanted to get a close look at how you attached the struts so I could copy it.
All is well...........I'd rather get a look at any size picture of your models than none at all.
I added two extra spoons of coffee to the pot this morning and am heading to the basement to try and keep up with you.
Frank Carlisle

Offline Richard Grogan

• Admiral
« Reply #135 on: January 17, 2007, 09:16:07 AM »
Yes, no stars. In the beginning I just wanted to do one plane with stars. I wound up with a collection.
Frank,
I really like that "Victory". Thats a stunning color scheme! More info please...
Long Live the CL Crowd!

AMA 85745

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #136 on: January 17, 2007, 09:43:49 AM »
Frank,
I really like that "Victory". Thats a stunning color scheme! More info please...

I'm pleased you like it Richard. Last season it got 17 to 19 points at the contests and finally got me some respect in expert stunt.

56 inch span--50 inches long--ST .51 for power--Brodak Dope--171 stars each cut out individually. 56 oz.
Frank Carlisle

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #137 on: January 17, 2007, 01:53:20 PM »
Concerning the pics, Frank, fact is, I just point and shoot, load 'em into the computer with Picaso software, sometimes crop 'em a little, and upload to the web.  No compressing, or reducing...that's just the way the camera takes them.  I guess not enough pixels, or pixies, or whatever...I'm really up on all this stuff.

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #138 on: January 17, 2007, 03:26:19 PM »
Ok Frank. You put it out there, and now curious minds want to know: Where'd you put the one extra star that made it 171? Something ain't symmetrical someplace.

n~bob

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #139 on: January 17, 2007, 03:56:15 PM »
Here's some closeups of the strut installation...I cut the wing struts 3 3/4" long (can get 3 out of 1 stick provided) and the pylon struts, well, I forgot already, 3" or so--depends where you place the lower end.  The 3rd pic shows the underside of the wing where the holes (and 1 strut) come through.  Yes, I will trim/sand that down flush.

Thought I'd also throw in a couple pictures of my LO guide eyelets--I angled the holes in the tip and put them in line with the leadouts, MOL.  No binding this way.  I wish now I'd moved them a little closer together, keeping the centerline between them the same.  That front leadout is ON the suggested CG--1/2" behind the LE.  In fact, the more I look at it the less I like it as is.  I may dig out the front one anyhow, and move it back 1/2" or so.  What do you think (anyone)?

--Ray

P.S. also check out my cute little windscreen!  It's not glued in yet, I'll pull it out for finishing, then glue it in.
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #140 on: January 17, 2007, 05:00:11 PM »
Now your pictures are bigger Ray.........and very informative.
The windscreen is cool. I'm surprised you didn't get a colored one like you did on the Snapper.
To check the leadout position -- hang the model on the leadout lines and check to see the angle the plane hangs at. I always like it yawed out just a tad. Let me know how that works out so I can position mine from your picture.

I did the rotor struts a little different because at the time your pictures weren't there for me to copy cat from. I drilled angled holes into the fuselage for the bases. Then I used a rat tail file to put grooves in the top on the pylon to glue the sruts into. It looks like yours give more glue joint area. I'm hoping mine holds like a jigsaw piece would. I used two hour epoxy. I think they'll hold. Don't you?

Also it looks like the only way to get good fits is to assemble the thing first. So that is what I'll do. What do you think about using a piece of ply on the underside of the wing for a leadout guide?

I airfoiled the rotor today.
Frank Carlisle

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #141 on: January 17, 2007, 05:03:02 PM »
Ok Frank. You put it out there, and now curious minds want to know: Where'd you put the one extra star that made it 171? Something ain't symmetrical someplace.

n~bob

Doh!...........I guess I got the count goofed up. Maybe at a contest this year you could give me an accurate count. #^
Frank Carlisle

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #142 on: January 17, 2007, 05:12:31 PM »
You know me Frank, I don't do stars.

bob

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #143 on: January 17, 2007, 07:20:14 PM »
You know me Frank, I don't do stars.

bob

Just nobodies right?
Frank Carlisle

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #144 on: January 17, 2007, 08:18:06 PM »
Actually, 171 divides evenly into 3 groups of 57.  Or 9 groups of 19.  or 171 groups of 1...

Frank, I think your pylon struts look good.  That bamboo end-grain sure looks odd, with its open cells, doesn't it? Interesting tile pattern, too, around that filler tube.

As to my camera shooting bigger pictures, I guess it took umbrage at your remarks...really, I don't know why they come out different sometimes. 

Lessee, plywood under the wing for LO guides?  I guess you mean under the raised tip..that's a very good idea, you could put several holes to make the leadout sweep adjustable.  Wish I'd thought of that, now I have to butcher my wing to get that front guide out.

Maybe I'll try the Rit dye thing on my windscreen. What color, do you think? (No, this time yellow won't do...)

--Ray

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #145 on: January 17, 2007, 11:38:19 PM »
There are 11 fields of stars plus 1 star on each wheel pant. Thanks Ray, Bob had me stumped.

The bamboo does look strange on the ends doesn't it? I had some strands (strings) peeling on mine so I handled them carefully till I get some dope on them. That tile pattern is neat huh? I had some extra holes plus I wanted the fill tube to be a great fit. I cut the patches oversize then cut the hole to match. It's a wall patching method I use.

Your camera has a mind of it's own. I checked your pix in other threds and there is a broad range of sizes.

Right!! ply on the underside of the raised tip. Actually I think it's possible to make it a slider. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

The windshield color should probably be dark grey on your model Ray, it will contrast nicely with the yellow.
Frank Carlisle

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #146 on: January 18, 2007, 01:23:03 PM »
I got the model mostly put together. I still have wing struts to fit and the leadout guides to work out.
Larry has some pictures of a full size Kellett auto-gyro on his website. It's a pretty colorful plane. I think I'm going to do this one in red and white and pretty much copy the full sized one's paint scheme. It looks pretty cool to me.

Mine seems to want to come out nose heavy also. Right now it wieghs 5 1/4 oz. so I'm figuring nearly 7 oz. RTF.
Frank Carlisle

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #147 on: January 18, 2007, 02:54:27 PM »
Amazingly, I just weighed mine again, and it weighed--5 1/4 oz!  Well, really a little closer to 5 1/2, I guess.  But that's with the controls and wingstruts, so I guess it's gotcha beat a tad in weight. So far anyhow. But I bet if you take off those heavyweight wheels and put some light ones on you'll notice the difference...balance will be improved too. 

All in all, the models sound very equal.  If you do yours in red and white, maybe I'll do mine in white and red. 

I notice you have wrapped your blade connections with something to reinforce them.  What did you use there?  Maybe I'll borrow another trick from you, I hadn't even thought of reinforcement there.  At the very least it looks a lot neater than just the raw joint a la mine.

Your cowl looks good; it's very well done. 

You gonna use the landing-gear fairing included with the kit? So far I've been thinking I won't. Offhand I don't see a good attachment method that'll keep it from swiveling freely around the wire.

--Ray

--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #148 on: January 18, 2007, 03:44:26 PM »
I'll be interested in seeing what Mike and Leroy's planes weigh. Likely they'll be pretty much the same.

Did you look at the pix on Larry's web site Ray? The red and white looks very cool. I think I'll put lettering on the fuselage sides. Something like - AIR CARLISLE- maybe.

I used some Dacron string that comes on spools for 1/2 A flight lines to wrap the rotor. I hadn't considered the re-inforcing aspect so much as I thought it would look cool.

I didn't have any choice but to take the time to do the cowl good. You set the bar pretty high on that one.

I didn't get any landing gear fairings in my kit, but yes I think I will put some on. I wish you would have brought that up before I glued the gear to the plane.

After I see how this one flies I might build another one. Next time I'll maybe put the firewall back further. You know the nose hevy condition might be a good thing. The rotor just might make the model fly nose up.
Frank Carlisle

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #149 on: January 18, 2007, 06:18:39 PM »
Yes, till one of us actually flies one it probably would be wise not to monkey with the balance too much. 

You didn't get LG fairings?  maybe you just didn't recognize them...2 pieces of 1/8" x maybe 1/2" x about 3" balsa.  Supposed to glue on the back of the LG wire.  I wouldn't have known what they were  except the plan sheet mentions them.  At first I thought they were the wing struts!

Dacron string...I thought that was fabric of some kind, or fiberglas or something.  Fantasticly neat job; I don't think I could duplicate it so won't try.  It does look extremely cool.

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here