News:

• April 19, 2024, 11:50:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Balloon tank construction?  (Read 959 times)

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Balloon tank construction?
« on: August 11, 2021, 09:47:58 PM »
Is there a thread on how to make the  best balloon tank.  For instance how far should the silicon feed tube go into the balloon?  I usually have my go to the back end of the balloon.  Is that really necessary or would 1/2 way back be OK.    IE are there any do's and don't for building the best balloon tank.    ???
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Balloon tank construction?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2021, 07:05:58 PM »
My tanks have the fuel hose go all the way to the rear, but they have a couple of holes in the tube at 1/3 and 2/3 points to prevent the balloon from covering the pickups.

If you really want to do it right, get a short length of dowel that fits the balloon nozzle tightly, drill a hole in the center, epoxy copper tube in the hole with enough sticking out of each end to connect fuel hoses. Coat thoroughly with epoxy to fuelproof. When you bind the balloon on, there should be no chance of air leaks.

If you have a lathe, you could turn the whole assembly in one piece including nice fuel nipples on both ends. Probably could 3D print such a thing too.  #^
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2021, 10:17:55 AM »
Might try the bladder nipples from MBS Model Supply. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2021, 02:45:20 PM »
Might try the bladder nipples from MBS Model Supply. D>K

I think John R. is talking about slack balloon tanks, where the balloon is never stretched.  It just makes a "fuel cell" that delivers fuel at atmospheric pressure, but without foam or bubbles or whatnot.

Bladders are a different thing.  Kind of a Hilborn injector vs. a carburetor thing.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2021, 03:06:51 PM »
I think you can take a Sullivan inline fillter , remove one side and the screens and slip the balloon over it. Could use small dental rubber bands to hold the balloon to the tube. You will need to have a tube holder for the balloon. For pressure bladders we always slip some tube gauze over it to protect the soft surface, should work for the non pressure balloon tank also.

Best,   DennsT

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here