News:

• May 12, 2024, 11:55:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ??? BALLOON'S...  (Read 684 times)

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
??? BALLOON'S...
« on: January 05, 2013, 10:58:38 AM »

Wanna  try the balloon tank set up on my wasp 061 engine, was sotra thinkin about the heliem balloons as the rubber ones might "pop" sooner than these.

Any suggestions???         :!
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: ??? BALLOON'S...
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 11:27:08 AM »
Gil, the regular 9 inch party balloons work just fine, if you blow them up a couple times and stretch them a bit they work better. Be sure to get all the air out of the balloon when fueling. I can get a full pattern with one hooked to a norvel 061. Once they have been used, they should last at least a couple weeks, maybe a month before i replace them.
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 01:07:16 PM »

y1   Thanks Ray, I sent ya' a P/M...
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 10:44:01 PM »
Gil,

As Ray said, get all the air out of the balloon while filling it. Like they do with injections, pull some fuel into the balloon, tip the bulb or syringe up so you can push out everything but the fuel, then add your fuel load.

A 9" party balloon sounds large to me for the volume even a NorVel .061 needs for a full pattern. A few test flights to make sure you know how much fuel to load - marked syringes are great for this and should serve you well.

And, the cautions about checking the condition of the balloon frequently, changing it as soon as there's any doubt is right on. Compared to commercial tanks, replacement of a slack balloon is cheap, and only a few minutes work to prepare.
\BEST\LOU

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 08:57:35 AM »
Keep a new balloon in your flight kit along with some wire and you can easily do a replacement at the field if necessary.  I find that 28cc of 10% nitro fuel will get me through the pattern with the AP Wasp and a 5.5x2.5 APC prop.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here