News:

• March 28, 2024, 04:14:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Baby Flite Streak CG  (Read 2533 times)

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Baby Flite Streak CG
« on: September 24, 2017, 07:20:11 PM »
I had a built Baby Flite Streak gifted to me several years ago.  I flew it for the first time today.  What a trip.  Very squirrely controls.  Does anyone know what the CG is.  What is a good length for lines.  Mine were too short.  I've seldom gotten dizzy like that in my life.  I successfully made it to the end of the flight.  However, I staggered around for a half minute afterward.  Quite funny for my brother.  I had some engine problems.  See engine tips for that. Thanks for any help.

Cox Black Widow, proper 25% nitro fuel.

Offline pat king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • PDK LLC
Re: Baby Flite Streak CG
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 08:49:10 PM »
20% MAC is at 1.475" aft of the leading edge.

Pat
Pat King
Monee, IL

AMA 168941

Online kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 03:30:04 AM »
                  Allen, why your CG us important other things are equally as important.The Streak is twitchy regardless of size. Therefore, you want slow controls and a larger control horn with your pushrod in the hole furthest away from the control surface. Probably not doable now but keeping your pushrod to the innermost hole on the bellcrank would help. Your handle spacing is also important. Many times I see too large of a handle being used. You want your handle spacing line to line to be no greater than 2" apart. These methods will considerably slow the controls and limit there movement so being cautious is always important here. Working the other direction if needed. If you built the wings per plan and your uncertain of the CG, balance the plane where the forward leadout exits. This will more than likely have you in a nose heavy condition.

A Cox Black Widow would fly nicely on line length of 35' center to center. You could go out another 1-1.5 feet but windy days can impact longer length lines. Your prop choice is also going to impact your speed and how your plane responds. If your capable of flying lazy eights, this can certainly take away the dizziness as you can stand in one position and let the plane fly out in front of you. Ken

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 04:43:38 AM »
Thanks guys.  That is very helpful.  I might be able to put on a bigger horn.  Definitely I will lengthen my lines.  I can do lazy 8's with larger planes.  I don't remember doing any more than loops with my Zipper as a kid.

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 05:40:54 AM »
I have just confirmed that 26 ft. lines, 64 years of age, a screaming black widow = dizziness.    :) :'( >:(

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 11:10:14 AM »
Yep, that will do it in short time.   Don't ask me how I know when I tried to fly a Baby Ringmaster with Black Widow 6-3 prop and some 30% nitro on 35 foot lines.   Was about to fall over when the beast ran out of fuel.   Tried loops and 8's but it wouldn't stay out on the lines.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 05:05:17 AM »
Thanks for the tips.  A longer elevator horn helped smooth the controls.  This thing is perfectly balanced with a long glide after engine quits.  32 ft. lines also made quite a difference.  I'm having engine problems so we've got to work on that. It's fun to be flying 1/2A again.  Thanks again for the tips.

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 07:27:52 PM »
I want to say, that after putting elements of a tune-up kit in the engine, we finally have a really nice flying airplane.  It is balanced wonderfully and we finally got 25 revolution flight today.  My first flying of this spring.  I flew level.  I hope to do a lot more with it as I get used to it.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 06:26:50 PM »
Take a look at the 1/2a exponential handle that Eric Rule ( rsmdistribution.com ) sells. It has tamed many a small model while allowing full maneuverability.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2018, 01:58:35 PM »
Allen:

It appears that you've got a good combination at work there, so I'd like to hit you with an inquiry. I've got a good start building a Baby Flite Streak as well. My plan is to install a Cox Medallion .049 and try 35 feet for control lines at the suggested handle spacing of two inches.

I see the plans show the COG located 1" behind the leading edge rather than the 1.475" calculated by Pat. What did you end up using?

The stock, two-inch bell crank is already installed, so I'm stuck with that.  I've a 3/4" control horn on hand, and likely will use it. What do you think?

Thanks.

Dave...
It’s a very strange world we live in, Master Jack.” (4 Jacks and a Jill)

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2018, 02:59:11 PM »
use a 6-2.

Offline Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2018, 08:46:43 AM »
Jim:

Thanks for the suggestion; it'll probably keep me from getting drilled into the ground on that first flight!

Dave Mo...
It’s a very strange world we live in, Master Jack.” (4 Jacks and a Jill)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here