News:

• May 26, 2024, 09:56:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: American Boy  (Read 4730 times)

Online Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
American Boy
« on: March 26, 2015, 06:41:36 PM »
I’ve been thinking about doing some Musciano hollow log models, or at least ordering a couple before you can’t get them anymore from Blackhawk Models.  I finally got around to ordering three models, but before I decided on which ones I wanted, I was thinking about the American Boy design that I had looked at a while ago.  It seemed pretty easy to scratch build, so I went for it.  Like I didn’t already have enough models waiting for their test flights. But, what the hell, it’s been raining here.

I got the plans from Outerzone here:
http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=4046

They’re simple and straight forward, as it’s just a profile plane.  The plans call for a fuselage made from 3/16” balsa sheet, but all I had on hand is ¼”, so that’s what I used.  Also, for some reason, the fin to fuselage joint is overly complicated.  Seems like it should just be a simple slot in the rear of the fuse, so that’s what I did.  I also saved some time and effort by using a Brodak 1/2A engine mount.  If I did another one of these, I’d probably just go ahead and use the plans version of a firewall and save the 4 dollars.  The wing is just an 18” section of SIG 3” airfoil shaped balsa.  

Bare bones:

And finished up:

Total weight is 5.3 ounces.  Minus engine, total cost was about ten dollars.  When I get a chance, I will test run and tune the engine, then do a test flight of the plane.

The American Mark
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 07:17:28 PM by Mark Mc »

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: American Boy
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 06:54:42 PM »
Man, does that bring back some long-ago memories!  I built one from the original kits in the early '50s - OK Cub .049 power.  If memory serves, the kit sold for only $1.00.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 08:31:03 PM »
Awesome job there.  Looks great, and I am sure it will fly equally well.  One day I hope that something of mine could come out like that.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 08:39:02 PM »
As Mike K. says, another trip down memory lane.   I built several back in the day as the hardware store kept a supply of the kits. I still have a complete kit on the shelf.   Yes, they were a dollar for each kit and every thing was in the box.  Mine never looked as good as yours.  My choice of power was the reliable OK Cub .049A  with Kaysun 6-3 prop.   Did my first loops with one of the later ones.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 08:43:57 PM »
How capable are those? 

How forgiving as a trainer? 

I have some nephews who are going to need something better than coroplast soon, and that looks good.

Phil

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 08:50:09 PM »
They glue back together easily and fly well with the power I had back then.   Babe Bee's would be good engine for learning to take off, fly level and land.  I flew on 25 foot Dacron lines.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 09:04:37 PM »
The one that you built is the late model, the early American Boy had a shorter fuselage.  The early one had a 1/4" thick fuselage.  We kit the early model and an improved version called "Army Scout".  Your model looks very nice, well done.

Larry
Black Hawk Models

Online Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 10:21:39 PM »
Larry,

I looked at your American Boy, but since I ordered a 1) Kellet Autogyro, 2) Waco Cabin, 3) Stunt Master, and 4) a Sky King, I couldn't justify buying more.  Especially when I already had all the materials on hand for the American Boy.  Believe me, I stared at your Musciano page for quite some time until I narrowed it down to three kits to buy.  Don't know how that fourth one crept in there...  My original intent was to just buy two, so that I could at least say I had a Musciano hollow log, and one for back-up.

Mark

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 10:18:07 AM »
Nice American Boy. My first flying model was one in the early fifties. I still have one with the same engine, a Spitzy .045(not the same plane). I've also built a slightly larger one which currently flying with E power. Watch out for tail heavy balance, with that short nose.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2015, 10:33:58 AM »
How capable are those? 

How forgiving as a trainer? 

I have some nephews who are going to need something better than coroplast soon, and that looks good.

Phil

Phil, I haven't flown one of those exact models, but judging by the 1/2-A planes I have flown it should do well.  As long as it's not too heavy, and as long as you've got enough power in the nose (Baby Bee-ish), then it should do wingovers, inverted, and round loops.  I don't think I ever tried overheads with mine, and a flat-wing plane won't handle square loops very well at all -- or at least I've never had any luck.

Something like a Sig Skyray (1/2-A) may be better for someone who already knows how to fly, and who wants a plane that goes where you point it.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 12:37:47 PM »
Phil, I haven't flown one of those exact models, but judging by the 1/2-A planes I have flown it should do well.  As long as it's not too heavy, and as long as you've got enough power in the nose (Baby Bee-ish), then it should do wingovers, inverted, and round loops.  I don't think I ever tried overheads with mine, and a flat-wing plane won't handle square loops very well at all -- or at least I've never had any luck.

Something like a Sig Skyray (1/2-A) may be better for someone who already knows how to fly, and who wants a plane that goes where you point it.

My nephews can do circles, well, 2 can the other two were not as interested last summer, and frequently run out the baby bee on the man-win wing.  (it is amazing what type of beating coroplast can take!)  I am sure with a better trimmed airplane they can do more.  My coroplast man-win is quite touchy and reacts poorly to extreme control input.   I think that building would be good for them too.  I have enough parts to set up some engines already. 

I have a 1/2a Skyray.  I started messing with TD engines and probably didn't give it a good enough shake.

Phil

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2015, 12:45:00 PM »
Phil:

All-sheet balsa won't be as rugged as Corplast, but I've had engines cut out at the top of a wingover and bounce on grass, with no damage (wet ground -- dry August ground, or pavement, would have been a different story).

All-sheet balsa planes are exceedingly repairable.  If it's over grass you can go out to the field with an all-sheet plane and a bottle of thin CA, crash every flight, and fly all day.

I would go with anything that has a good long wing-fuselage distance (which the Skyray does), and maybe a limited-chord elevator.  The plane will go where it's pointed, stunt, and if you put the CG in the right place, won't be too twitchy.  Thus, the Skyray.

When they're not crashing all the time (if they stay interested that long) then make them planes with built-up wings.  Better, make them 15 sized planes with built-up wings.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2015, 04:47:36 PM »
My coroplast man-win is quite touchy and reacts poorly to extreme control input.

I have a 1/2a Skyray.  I started messing with TD engines and probably didn't give it a good enough shake.

Phil

Try setting up your Manwin with a 3" bellcrank and a standard 1" long control horn.  Run the pushrod in the inside hole at the bellcrank, and the outside hole in the control horn.  With a control system like a full size model, it won't be nearly as twitchy or hard to control. 

The Manwin like the Skyray will fly nearly any maneuver in the pattern, you just have to fly them really big and accept that it's NOT a stunt plane, but rather a nearly indestructible trainer/sport plane.  Better stunt performance is had by building a 1/2A stunter.  However, given the current state of things, there is not much economy in 1/2As that isn't found in something larger and easier to deal with.  A 15 size plane, or for that matter a 35 size plane is probably a much more rewarding plane to fly once basic flight is under control.

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2015, 07:43:36 PM »
I can fly 35 ft lines in my side yard, so 1/2A is AWESOME!  Yes, I have space secured and marked at the local RC club for 60 ft lines, so long as I pay my dues.

I'll look and see if I can dial the controls down slower with the current parts, and consider swapping in other parts if I need on the Man-win.  I plan to have people flying circles or more with something near indestructible before handing over a kit and engine.

I am looking at needing 8+ models in the next year or two for my nephews, nieces, and daughters.  The American Boy looks like something I can pass through my scroll saw and easily make a couple kits in an hour or so.

Phil

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here