News:

• May 10, 2024, 08:10:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/2A trainer concepts needed  (Read 5209 times)

Online Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
1/2A trainer concepts needed
« on: May 23, 2010, 06:46:44 PM »
Please take a look at the posting on the main forum about "Kids still love flying".  Basically, I am soliciting ideas on replacing our worn out fleet of PT-19s with something even more durable and wind flyable.  Please read all the entries, as our requirements are remarkably hard to meet.  No, no existing design or kit will quite do the job.  We need a bunch of ideas to combine to meet our needs.  When we do, though, it will be worth everyone's time and contributions. 

There is a similar thread on Stuka Stunt, with other input worth reading.  I am getting lots of input, but not there yet.

I will share the final design when it materializes, I think it will benefit everyone.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline John Castle

• Commander
  • The Bent Pin
Re: 1/2A trainer concepts needed
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 07:14:59 PM »
This sounds like a great project. I'm looking forward to the results.
John Castle
McMinnville, Oregon 
AMA# 589650

Offline pat king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • PDK LLC
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 07:55:18 PM »
Larry,
I have two profile designs that are held together with rubber bands like the PT 19. One is .35 sized and one is .15 sized. They both have built-up stressed skin wings with 1/32 ply wing skins. I could do a CAD design for a 1/2A version with a slab wing. The wing could be balsa or coroplast.

Pat
Pat King
Monee, IL

AMA 168941

Offline afml

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 05:13:37 AM »
If memory serves, which most of the time it doesn't! HB~> LL~
Allen Brickhaus designed a small trainer using Ace foam wings that were banded on the profille fuse.
Had landing gear too!
The larger 35 version was called "Grassroots". H^^

"Tight Lines!"

Wes
Wes Eakin

Online Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 11:24:03 AM »
Pat, if you would, just e-mail me the CAD plan for the larger model or models.  I can steal your ideas from that!  ;D

I am attaching a sketch of what I have in mind.  The engine/tank mount pivots up, the landing gear back and the wing is rubber-banded on.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 09:26:33 AM by Larry Renger »

DesignMan

Offline Victor Jeffreys

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 03:30:57 PM »
CG Wizard Trainer redux might be just the ticket. The only downside is that it uses a machine shaped plank wing airfoil that would be more expensive to produce than a simple flat plank wing.

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 08:23:27 AM »
I still like the "conceptual" Firebaby design with a small simple electric set up would doit!

W.
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Online Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 11:12:33 AM »
That's a really pretty little plane.  How big is it?

DesignMan

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 12:00:45 PM »
CG Wizard Trainer redux might be just the ticket. The only downside is that it uses a machine shaped plank wing airfoil that would be more expensive to produce than a simple flat plank wing.

And that's the one design feature I would change. The cambered airfoil is a bug, not a feature, near as I can tell.

Brett

Offline PaulGibeault

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 03:17:31 PM »
Hi Larry,

Shades of the Richland NATS, & boy that was fun!  This IS indeed an engineering challenge to design a decent flying model designed to survive crashes into concrete!
Due to a new home project, I can only offer an idea or too.

1. Definately use the L/H snap starter arrangement, with the black 4.5 X 4 prop. Of course the L/H rotation gives more line tension on take-off & everywhere else, plus that prop w/ the thick tips is really tough. With a L/H prop, a rudder on top will NOW be functional again to help keep the model out on the lines. Perhaps a supply of those larger cox red rubber spinners might be useful to reduce impact shock...but like I said 'a supply', you might go through them faster than normal...
2. The smallest circle radius ( ~26') is safest as a model diving from 26' has less momentum than a dive from 42', of course!
3. Sheet hard balsa wing & tail components will need full length spars.
4. Don't discount basswood either as it makes for really rugged mouse racers.
5. The fuse really needs some thought. Just as I thought 1/4" basswood was the
 end all...some junior broke one at the wing t/e joint....hmmm.
6. A flexable (in crash) motor mount is brilliant. Keep working on that!
7.A bit of tip weight will still be advisable.
8. Keep controls on top of the wing where they can anyways be seen.
9. A rubber band spring loaded 1-3/8" mono-wheel would be very good.
OR, a fixed  1/8" music wire LG which might hardly never bend...
That's all I can think of for now , Larry. 
I can't wait to see what design you come up with. I sure do know first hand what you're up against!
All the best,
Paul

Online Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 09:40:42 PM »
I just bought 50 5x3 RH props, but don't recall the 4.5x4 LH ones.  It does make some good sense, except for the speed on 25' lines (Zing!)  The 6x2 LH props are good except when the breeze starts to blow.  Perhaps cut to 5" or even 4.5" they might provide engough speed.  Got to check that out!

Regarding structure, the group in North California, and the R/C combat boys have had great success with the coroplast material.  I scored 10 political signs so far, and it is just the primary  VD~

I can be pretty sure the stuff will bend, and never break.  I plan to slide a spar into the wing.  It could b spruce, carbon fibre, aluminum tube (probably worthless for impact resiliance), or steel.  For cpst effectiveness, I think Spruce is the spar of choice.  Happily, it will be easy to change them and make an evaluation.

DesignMan

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 11:08:30 PM »
Regarding structure, the group in North California, and the R/C combat boys have had great success with the coroplast material.  I scored 10 political signs so far, and it is just the primary 

And it turns an evil purpose to a good one.

Brett

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2010, 08:28:44 PM »
How about an up date on the new trainer, I am very interested to see how it is coming.  H^^

Larry

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2010, 09:30:03 AM »
Have you taken a good lok at the "Little Wizard".  Landing gear well forward to help save props.  Motor plate held on with rubber bands.  For got the landing gear is held in place with rubber band.  Solid sheet wood construction, so breaks are easy to fix.  Taught quite a few kids with one.  I think it fell apart from old age.  Also Babe Bee .049 with the stock small tank.  I also used 6-3 props to keep rpm down.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2010, 10:22:17 AM »
Sadly, I have fallen into the clutches of a batch of new SciFi books, and haven't done any serious work lately.   :-\

DesignMan

Offline Bob Furr

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2010, 11:52:51 PM »
For cost effective spars in coroplast use bamboo skewers... a bag of 100 can always be found for $2 and often for $1.   We built a lot of 1/2a flying wings with double tapered wings (leading and trailing edge) to use for teaching kids.   Found they almost never broke before you would wear out or break the surestart engines.
Bob Furr

Offline Bob Furr

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2010, 12:01:46 AM »
Here is a picture of the planes we built using coroplast... the kids called them stealth bombers...

Online Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2010, 07:59:05 AM »
That looks like some pretty Half-Fast design work to me!

Seriously, where do you find that many kids interested in getting away from their computers and i-Pods?

DesignMan

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2010, 10:25:43 AM »
 #^ Can I answer that one?  #^

In my neighborhood where the homeless stand on corners, one parent families are loosing their homes and kids are sleeping in cars and going to schools from those cars it is not hard to find that many kids.  I walk to a restaurant 6 blocks away and by the time I get there it breaks my heart to see what I see.  As a kid I had nothing and as an adult I am still struggling.  FACT is 65% of all kids do not have a computer or I-pod.

Larry

Offline Bob Furr

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2010, 03:47:07 PM »
Actually we contacted a local school that had a summer program that lasted two weeks and offered to do something related to model planes....  It ended up costing each kid about $20 and they walked away with a ready to fly plane they "built" (really just assembled as coroplast flying wings are way easy to do).   Got some donations from 3 clubs and one hobby shop and that helped.    Problem was that once they finished we lost track of them... they had no way to get to the flying field.   I know that for about 2 years though some kept flying in their neighborhoods...not many but some.
Bob

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2010, 09:51:43 AM »
Larry, 

I was at Kidventure this year again.  John Wright should be bringing you back the scoop.  Hat a new trainer made out of coroplast that flew well enough and did not break at all.  Much stronger than the old skybabies we used and better in the wind too.  John will have pictures.  I would bet there will be a construction article somewhere soon.

Dave Siegler
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Online Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2010, 08:38:34 PM »
Thanks for the input, everyone, I did solicit it.

John brought a Skybaby carcas to the meeting and gave it to me.  However, I'll stick with the concepts I am developing, as discussed (way) above.  For flying over asphalt, you either need flexibility or fall-apart or both.  Grass is a MUCH simpler problem.

My design will have the motor/tank mount pivot up, the landing gear pivot back and the wing rubber-banded on.  Should be OK for anything shy of a 90.00 degree figure 9.

DesignMan

Offline PaulGibeault

• Commander
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2010, 10:36:43 PM »
HI Larry,

I flew the modified 'Man-Win" coroplast trainer today, w/ the QZ engine. Although it IS very quiet & unbreakable when flown over grass, the major complaint is it has next to no line tension regardless of leadout sweep back when flown on 26' X .012" lines. I will go to the .008 stranded lines next. ( I KNOW why you recommended them now!!)
In comparison my fiance' (student) flew an all basswood streaker mouse racer & thought it was much better due to the noticeably increased line tension plus the Streaker "grooves" noticeably better. Although on grass landings the Streaker will cartwheel & break the stab...
We flew today w/o hardly any wind. With wind, the coroplast would be almost hopeless I think. We also flew a Mucsiano "Flip" (all sheet stunter) which was in between the two in line tension, although it flies quite well.
Bottom line, heavier & faster models give the beginner more confidence.

My next efforts will be mainly to get the most speed from the trainer by using TD piston/cylinders, more nitro & cut down < 5 X 4 props. I'll also try the trusty L/H 4.5 X 4 cox Nylon prop & see if that helps the line tension any.
Sadly, the only negative with the "Streaker" is the speed (14 secs/5 laps) over 30+ laps gets my student dizzy!
This is so much harder than I remember!!! Good luck on your new design.

Cheers, Paul

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2010, 06:08:58 AM »
Just a couple of suggestions:

--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline Victor Jeffreys

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2010, 07:08:00 PM »
A coroplast wing plank stiffened by Dollar Tree Skewers with a Lowe's yarsticick fuselage and a hamburger tray foam set of tailfeaters laid out like a Stuntman 23 with nose/enginemounting options (beam/radial) and crash resistant LG might be dah ticket.

Offline GGeezer

• Commander
    • Gizmogeezer Products
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2010, 08:55:50 PM »
HI Larry,

I flew the modified 'Man-Win" coroplast trainer today, w/ the QZ engine. Although it IS very quiet & unbreakable when flown over grass, the major complaint is it has next to no line tension regardless of leadout sweep back when flown on 26' X .012" lines.

Cheers, Paul

I'm just guessing here but if you "modified" your Man-Win by taking out most of the engine offset, then this is your problem. My Man-Win built to plan and powered by a Cox Black Widow will do small overhead circles and overhead eights all day without the loss of line tension and this is on 35' lines. I also fly my model in winds higher than I would fly any other 1/2A model with no trouble. I also have a Babe Bee powered Man-Win trainer for teaching purposes and although it will not do the overheads the BW will do, it still stays out at the end of the lines quite nicely. This is a light model so it doesn't pull like a tractor, that's why it needs the radical engine offset.

Orv.

Offline Bob Furr

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2010, 09:45:16 PM »
Ditto on the Manwin needing quite a bit of engine offset.   I have been told over and over that it will fly better with less engine offset... and trust me they dont.
Bob

Offline Jeffrey Olijar

• Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2010, 10:25:41 PM »
How about Rick Foch's "Student" From American Aircraft Modeler.
The plane can be built with
2 - sheets of 1/8" x 3" x 36"
1 - 1/4" square x 36"
1 - 1/2" square x 4"
plywood and various finishing hardware.

These planes are very sturdy because of the crutch that goes down all the way down the body.  They are not completely unbreakable but they hold up fairly well to practicing the figure 9.

I have the original article and plans if anyone is interested I could print them off and ship them at cost or try and scan them.  

The picture shows one of mine that is modified to have a 4" chord wing instead of a 3" and it has a slightly different motor mount.

I have built one for the "its only a half a contest" that is on the 19th at the aurora airport.  I hope to be there competing with it. 
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Online Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2010, 11:28:24 PM »
Absolutely unbreakable with a 45 deg. hit at full speed on asphalt, repeated several times, is the minimum criteria here.  Nothing less will do for our purposes.  And yes it can be done.  The old Cox PT-19 comes very close.

DesignMan

Offline Jeffrey Olijar

• Lieutenant
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2010, 11:51:19 AM »
cant say I have ever flown off concrete. Wouldn't the motor get damaged in a crash?
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2010, 02:49:30 PM »
cant say I have ever flown off concrete. Wouldn't the motor get damaged in a crash?

You bet it would, I've got a bent Norvel to prove it.  45d. into pavement at speed hasta hurt. Methinks that criterion is a little unrealistic.
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline Bob Furr

• Lieutenant
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2010, 05:02:36 PM »
I can build a plane from coroplast that will survive... but even if the motor is held with rubber bands it is likely to be damaged.   Now fly over grass and you will wear out a motor before you break a coroplast model.
Bob

Online Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2010, 01:14:49 AM »
Well, I have to give it my best shot.  I have a pivoting motor mount, pivoting landing gear and rubber-band-on wing.  Since we don't get points for no-bounce landings, the gear can take a heck of a hit before the engine ever touches.  We'll see how it all works out when I finish the drawings and build a sample.

DesignMan

Offline Victor Jeffreys

• Lieutenant
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2010, 03:02:45 PM »
Consider a design with a removable LG for hand launching over grass.

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2010, 03:42:24 PM »
The suggestion of removeable landing gear for grass flying, is a very good one.  I fly over grass exclusively and build all my small planes with no gear cause it just causes all kinds of grief. H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline John Castle

• Commander
  • The Bent Pin
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2010, 05:13:09 PM »
Just thinking out loud here but has anybody done anything with an EPP foam wing with a pusher motor? Kind of like a Zagi?
John Castle
McMinnville, Oregon 
AMA# 589650

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2010, 06:35:30 AM »
This is the trainer we used at Oshkosh this year.  The best ever. Should be a construction plan soon.
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2010, 02:23:06 PM »
Hi Dave,

I have a half sheet of Coroplast looking for a project, but haven't found plans that interest me. That Oshkosh trainer looks much better than anything else I've seen. Will the plans/drawings be available soon, and if so where?

Thanks,

Bill Adair
Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Offline Bob Furr

• Lieutenant
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2010, 08:16:10 PM »
The Oskosh trainer looks like a fun little plane!   And probably about as durable as you could make something that still flys.

Bob

Offline Michael Boucher

• Captain
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2010, 09:13:06 AM »
Nice looking trainer Dave.  #^
AMA 59633

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2010, 07:11:57 PM »
I wish I could take credit for it. 

The St Louis Guys did the work, and built them.  Bob Arata and Dan McEntee did the design.  Art Johnson ( the carrier guy from rockford) got it trimmed and is doing drawings for construction, and I am told it will be published.  So I can't say more.  It is an outline of a bradco skybaby.

I just show up and fly them.  We flew 809 kids in 2 circles on Saturday of EAA in about 6 1/2 hours.  We left with the same airplane we started with.  That is the best thing I can say. They fly well handle the wind, will fly through the rotor downwash of a Bell 47. 
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2010, 10:12:54 PM »
I am surprised that noone has mentioned (unless I missed it) the Osborne "Platter" from the Aeromaniacs site. They have trained lots of kids using that design. And the site has some step-up designs to follow the trainer.

I believe earlier versions were constructed of cardboard, or even balsa, but the current version uses coroplast.

Another thought...if I remember correctly, AMA had a design that was initially used as an unpowered swing-around, then later the nose could be replaced with an engine pod.

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2010, 09:15:59 AM »
     Most of you may already know that I am very interested in teaching kids to fly control line.  The trouble with teaching them on a one off designed plane is that if the youngster is at all interested in the hobby is that you have to tell him/her that they can not get the plane that they just flew.  If the instructor is any good he will direct them to a low cost alternative, unfortunately this seldom happens. (I will stop here and not go into a rant)

Larry
Black Hawk Models

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2010, 11:56:42 AM »
     Most of you may already know that I am very interested in teaching kids to fly control line.  The trouble with teaching them on a one off designed plane is that if the youngster is at all interested in the hobby is that you have to tell him/her that they can not get the plane that they just flew.  If the instructor is any good he will direct them to a low cost alternative, unfortunately this seldom happens. (I will stop here and not go into a rant)
That's a good point.  I should think that you'd not only want to have whatever model you're going to teach with, but a table with a display of what you can get at the LHS (if anything), what you can get as an ARF, what you can get as a kit, etc.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2010, 03:39:11 PM »
   The beauty of our "American Flyer" kit was that it was a simple to build model that flew great and included everything that you need to get started for the low price of $50.00. Not only could you get replacement parts but you could buy the kit by itself "Army Scout" for $25.00.  This was the ideal trainer because you could fly the plane, be able to buy the kit and it was simple enough that any kid could put it together.  The bad thing was that dealers did not see a profit in selling everything in one box at a low price.  They could make more by selling everything separately.

Larry

Offline bob werle

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2010, 12:39:11 AM »
Yes it is better to train a beginner over grass,the whole world accepts that but the training area we have to work with is not grass and there is no other option.  I started my son at age 4 over grass with a Scientific hollow log but the use of these trainers is at an airport open house and they do not have any grass for us.  Larry has to try to design an updated PT 19.  Like the old Timex slogan "it takes a licking but keeps on ticking" we need to build for the site
ama 5871

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2010, 09:41:45 AM »
That's a good point.  I should think that you'd not only want to have whatever model you're going to teach with, but a table with a display of what you can get at the LHS (if anything), what you can get as an ARF, what you can get as a kit, etc.
That may be good in some areas, but not mine. I was in my LHS yesterday. They (she) had no CL stuff, no kits, no gas engines smaller than a .90, ALL RC and trains. She said kids do not have an interest, only us older folks. I'm afraid the only CL supplies I could score was a couple bottles of CA, a couple of X-Acto saws, and some 6x3 props. I'm afraid my table would be empty. The only thing I could do is recommend the Black Hawk Models site. She does have a little Aerogloss and SIG dope, tools...and Ambroid cement.

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2010, 11:15:05 AM »
I just build basic trainers with a piece of glider wing stock for the wing (one 36" plank makes two) and 1/2" balsa for the body.  The engine can be rubber-banded on.

Trainer with a Babe Bee.
Racer with a Black Widow.

My daughter liked the colorful film covering best.
Paul Smith

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2010, 06:06:11 PM »
     Several of our customers use our 1/2A combat wings as trainers.  I have gotten reports of pilots crashing one into a tree at full power and doing no damage.  I'm not saying that a combat wing is the way to go but it is sinular to these sign board things.

Larry

Online Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2010, 05:16:59 PM »
We always give each kid a certificate after his flight.  Next year that certificate will have club, hobby shop, and website information on the back.  Don't know why we didn't think of this sooner!  b1

DesignMan

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here