News:

• May 10, 2024, 01:56:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/2A Mini Speedsters  (Read 2277 times)

Offline Mark Misegadis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
1/2A Mini Speedsters
« on: April 15, 2011, 10:02:20 AM »
I found this photo on the Balsa Beavers website. I would like to find out more about these interesting little airplanes.

1) Where could I get some plans? Dimensions or perhaps more photos?
2) Are these a little reed valve Speed Plane?  If so perhaps we move this over to the racing category.

Either way.. they are very cool and I am looking to build one.

Mark

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: 1/2A Mini Speedsters
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 01:17:08 PM »
They look like Mouse racers to me.  And I think the one on the right has a Venom .049 on it.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Mark Misegadis

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 01:45:20 PM »
Hi Larry,

Well that is Mr Mouse himself there on the right.    Here is the caption from the photo: Sal Angelloni (Italy) & Paul G. with Vintage Speed Class I "Mini-Speedsters"

Here is the link to the Event coverage and at one point they show a photo of Paul's planes. All Racers with some Rodent derived names(and a Clown) that I cant identify other than the Mouse and this nice looking Mini Speedster.  

Torneo de Portugal 2009

http://www.balsabeavers.ca/news_and_articles.htm

There are results listed but none of the classes say "Mini Speedster" or anything that would appear to be a obvious choice.

The tanks on those little guys are 5cc units and not the 8cc ones like on Meeses.  If we get an answer on what those are it would be nice to get some history on the design and or if its a "class."
Always nice to know this stuff.

Mark

« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 02:47:32 PM by Mark Misegadis »

Offline PaulGibeault

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 05:23:53 PM »
Hello Mark,

Thanks for your interest. You can find rules for Class 1 Vintage speed on one the British Barton site I believe. (or the BMFA site)
Look under Vintage Speed Rules. Really, they're quite simple. Any .051 engine produced before 1956 is eligible. The Cox Babe Bee
.049 JUST slips into that criteria. Eligible models must have been designed in that era also. A whole selection of eligible
Class I vintage speed designs can be obtained from "Tom Wilk C/L plans on CD" for about $10 I think.
The Mini-Speedster is a tiny 9" wingspan speed model. The rules allow for 'scaling' as long as one retains all the classic outlines.
I enlarged mine ~30% to give me a 12" wingspan & enough of a fuse firewall to just bolt on a Babe Bee.
Flown on two .008" X 35' lines or one .012" monoline. The British record is a 'theroetical' 85 MPH because nobody over there
actuall flew stuff that small so they guessed.  The rules allow for upgraded engine parts as long as they screw or bolt on.
SOoo..I bolted on a Venom top end (from Larry) & a Doug Galbreath glow head & drilled out 5cc tank venturi to .093".
WELL...on those short skinny lines it GOES! Especially when loaded up with 65% nitro! My best speed in Portugal was I think ~80+ MPH
or so which landed me on the podium in the combined speed event. I was thinking of tuning for faster speeds when Warren Kurth
showed up the following year (w/ a Fox .049 powered Peanut) & clobbered all of us with a ~ 95 MPH flight, setting a new Portuguese record.
Sal Angeloni from Italy campaigned the original sized model & later on, Julio Isidro of Portugal also flew a mini-speedster with a Black Widow.
(apparently eligible under the British Rules, which is VERY sporting of them).
Essentially we are flying "reed speed" which is interesting & quite fun as it does not involve a lot of time & money.

Cheers, Paulo

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 05:43:29 PM »
Hey Paul....good to see you made it through the winter....so tell me....is that your official colour?  I hurt my eyeballs looking at the picture!! n~
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline Mark Misegadis

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 04:41:29 PM »
Thanks for the reply Paul.  Great information there.

I will go ahead and PM Tom for those plans. While we are at it how about posting some additional photos of that little plane for us???!

Mark :)

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 05:30:46 PM »
Back in the late 1970's to early 1980's there were two AMA 1/2A racing events: Mouse Race and Scale Race.  Both had Class I and Class II, one class for reedvalve integral tank engines like the Cox Blackwidow; the other for  for any 049 engine.  Scale Race was profile Goodyear racers and, early on, was very popular.  It sort of faded away and Mouse Racing continued on.  My last and best Mouse Racer was a profile Goodyear with a TD 049, backplate pressure, uniflow tank with fast fill, and a fuel shutoff.  You can find the AMA rules online at the AMA website.

Offline Mark Misegadis

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 09:15:34 PM »
Jim, Awesome history there. Do you have any photos of this plane? I'd love to see it!

Mark

Offline Mark Misegadis

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 09:25:19 PM »
Something like this?  Yours had a Tee Dee on it however.  Mark

Offline PaulGibeault

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 02:41:25 AM »
Here's a photo from my archives of my 'Mini-Speedster before painting.
Plans printed out on my home computer from CD 'Class I Vintage Speed Model Plans' (by Tom Wilk).

Offline PaulGibeault

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 03:01:32 AM »
These last 2 photo's are models built by Salvi Angeloni of Italy (note the Warren Kurth designed 'Peanut' in the group)  Relative to modern mouse racers, these models are TINY!   (9" wingspan)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 03:21:54 PM by PaulGibeault »

Offline Mark Misegadis

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 11:51:50 AM »
WOW, I like them.

BTW: Tom sent me the CD's yesterday... Of course I could not buy just one!

Interesting how Sal has mounted the gear on the snout of the block. That is a neat idea and should keep the model from flipping over on a rough surface.

Balsa and Basswood construction I take it with a sampling of Ply?

Mark

"I feel the Need for Speed... 1/2A Speed that iz!"

Offline Mark Misegadis

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 10:44:56 AM »
Hi Paul,

I have the plans from Tom to build one of these planes. I see where you scaled yours up as the diameter of the Fuse at the firewall area is too small in diameter to mount the Babe Bee tank to. Of course Sal built the two that he is running to the plans exactly but had to adapt two pieces of aluminum angle for the engine mounts. This has the engine mounting tabs hanging above and below the fuse. It also explains those nuts that are countersunk on the top of the fuselage as thats how he has the mounts sunk and pinned.

Neat solution but I think the scaling is a good idea. This also explains why Sal didn’t go ahead and make that nose that it shows on the plans as you did. There was no room for it.
That does bring up an interesting problem with how yours is actually attached to the airplane. So I will ask.. “How is your nose actually attached to the plane and did you run it with that portion on during the event in portugal?”

I also see that the plans call for a Dolly rather than landing gear. I like the idea of landing gear and quite honestly they look cool like that.
Did you run gear on yours?

Mark

Offline PaulGibeault

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 12:41:53 PM »
Hello Mark,
You have good observations on the various engine mountings used.
Yes, my balsa nose cowl took a bit of thinking & after it was hollowed
out & fiberglassed.  I was still thinking, but ran out of time. So... I taped
it on with 3M clear tape which works quite well. It's the same stuff the
r/c pylon guys use to attach their fiberglass cowls with. Two yrs later
(with more time) I wrapped a bandage of 6 oz carbon cloth & epoxy
around the back of the cowl overhanging the edge by ~ 1/4". When dry
I trimmed the cloth which now just fits over the plywood firewall. I then
(using 4 tiny screws) screwed the cowl onto the model.
I use 2 layers of aluminum duct tape on the bottom of the fuse
to act as a (replaceable) landing skid. I can't be bothered with a dolly
or landing gear so I just have my wife, friend or whomever, hand launch it....easy!

Only one caution: Models with tiny tails like this must take off with slight
down elevator or at most neutral!  Otherwise they WILL do an end over
end loop on take off. I've crashed several times using slight up on takeoff...!
Very strange until you know what's going on...once flying, they fly quite fine.

Cheers, Paul

Offline PaulGibeault

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2011, 12:49:36 PM »
HI Glen,

This web site won't allow me to download the even HOTTER 2011 look... :(   (file's too big)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here