News:

• March 29, 2024, 08:06:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Annual 1/2A day.  (Read 1033 times)

Online Ty Marcucci

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Annual 1/2A day.
« on: August 14, 2021, 01:23:12 PM »
My club, NACA , Huntsville, Alabama, held it's annual 1/2A day at our flying site. Only 5 showed up, the kids did not show, and this day was created mainly for them,  but us older kids did show. I could not get my OK Cub .049A engine to start, new plug even. It is installed on  my 1951 Fire baby. John Rist put up three flights and Dick K.  put up one on his 1/2A  Mouse racer. John Cameron got to fly a .15 powered racer for the first time. Big eye opener for him. Hot, light breeze, mostly high humidity. More tomorrow, fly "what ya brung." H^^
Ty Marcucci

Online CircuitFlyer

• Commander
    • www.circuitflyer.com
Re: Annual 1/2A day.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2021, 07:04:33 AM »
I have the feeling that kids are not interested in the control line historical preservation society like the rest of us. They have to be really keen to hang around and watch old guys flip props over and over then maybe get a 30 second flight if they are lucky.  Perhaps it's time to stop passing down 1/2a motors and encourage kids to build electric.  There may be a future in a small electric control line day (with a fun side event to see who can get an antique IC motor started the fasted).

Glad you OG's had a fun day, that's what it's all about.
Paul Emmerson
Spinning electrons in circles in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada DIY Control Line Timers - www.circuitflyer.com

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2021, 12:06:17 PM »
I've seen YouTube vids of really good CL pilots flying from a drone's perspective. That is really neat! A few were choreographed remarkably well, too! I wish I bookmarked them.

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2021, 08:12:28 PM »
Last year at Huntersville at out 1/2A day I won stunt with a flat wing almost scale model.  My balance is gone and I had not flown in two years so It ran out of fuel just before I fell down. Man those little buggers are fast. Ringmaster day I only made 10 laps and had to hand off the model.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here