News:

• May 08, 2024, 08:29:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cox .049 TD nva  (Read 1668 times)

Offline david beazley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Cox .049 TD nva
« on: May 03, 2010, 05:19:30 PM »
Anyone have a source for TD NVA's?  Cox does not list them on their web site.  I would like to find a Kustom Kraftsmanship or Kirn Kraft version.
Any ideas?
It's only paranoia if they aren't really after you.
Analog man trapped in a digital world
AMA # 2817

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
Re: Cox .049 TD nva
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 06:28:39 PM »
Go to the texas timer website and you can buy a replacement NVA for the TD engines

www.texastimers.com

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 09:23:46 PM »
Hank Nystrom is also a great guy to deal with, and stands behind his products.

Ordered a couple fine thread needle assemblies for my OK Cubs. One of my conversion needle assembly spray bars had a slight manufacturing defect. Hank said send only the spray bar back, but his replacement was another complete assembly, providing me with a spare needle and seal. It arrived while my return spray bar was in route back! H^^

Bill
Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Offline david beazley

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 04:23:58 AM »
Great! Thanks for the info.  Now, any idea where to find a pressure backplate and venturi for TD?  Failing that does anyone know the hole size on the old KK pressure back plate?  I have one but I don't have anything small enough to measure the hole size.
AMA # 2817

Online Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 11:51:02 AM »
Pressure backplate holes should be about .010"  I just make a restrictor to put in the pressure line by taking a piece of .010 wire and squishing 3/32" aluminum tubing down on it with round nose pliers.  Pull the wire out and you have a perfect teeny tiny hole!  You can then take your backplate, drill it and glue in a piece of aluminum tube with JB weld.  The size of the hole in the tube no longer matters.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline david beazley

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 04:48:18 PM »
Great!  Thanks!   I love Hi Tech!  Is "squish" a technical term? :D
AMA # 2817

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 05:12:46 PM »
        David,  there is a fellow on Ebay that makes some terrific items for the Tee Dee engines.  I don't have a direct link but a simple search for Tee Dee engines or parts should turn up something. The name of the company is Aeromodel Retrofitter 8333 Halstead Rd. Blossvale, N.Y. 13308. Mike is the name of the fellow. The items he produces are a Buy It Now item so you don't have to worry about bidding. He has provided me with several backplates. He makes them undrilled, although I'm sure you could order whatever hole size you want. His cnc machined carb bodies are superb and a sure fix for those leaky,  older ,cracked plastic ones. I didn't have very good luck using the pressure. I don't know if its my venturi hole size or tank. I want to give this a try once more as I have a pretty cool little speed ship that I've been toying around with. I just don't have the best of luck with these engines. In the event you can't find one I may have an extra so let me know. If you happened to visit Texas Timers the one way valve they sell may be the ticket for running pressure. I didn't use the valve but I do own one. I may just try this next. Ken Cook

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 06:58:40 PM »
Great!  Thanks!   I love Hi Tech!  Is "squish" a technical term? :D
You know it!
Measuring squish!: http://www.gasgasrider.org/html/measuring_squish.html

Robert
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Offline Pinecone

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 07:06:31 AM »
Another source for fine thread needle valves is Kitting It Together.  www.kittingittogether.com

He also sells the Galbreath heads to use Nelson plugs in Cox engines.  All reports (I haven't run mine yet) is that they perform better than Cox TeeDee heads, but you may have to shim to reduce compression.
Terry Carraway
AMA 47402

Offline david beazley

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 03:41:02 PM »
I have 3 old TD's that I used for 1/2A R/C Pylon back in the late 80's/early 90's.  We used Kustom Kraftsman NVA's and pressure back plates with Glow Bee heads and Cox racing fuel.  We would use a Cox gray 5-4 or a MA 5.5-4 prop cut down to about 4-3/4".  The venturi needed to be drilled out to 5/32" when running pressure.  Also shimmed the cylinder so the top of the piston was level with the bottom of the port at BDC.  They routinely turne up 23k rpm.  One of my TD's is missing the venturi NVA and back plate so I am tring to piece it back together for some 1/2A CL fun.  I have a standard back plate so i may try making a stock opening venturi Hank's NVA.
AMA # 2817

Online Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 10:56:51 PM »
Squish is present tense, squoze is past tense.  As in " I squoze that sukker flat!"  Also, "It was squozen flat before I got there"
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 08:32:19 AM »
David, didn't my PM get thru? %^@ H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here