News:

• May 19, 2024, 02:48:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Golden Hawk finished!  (Read 2198 times)

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Golden Hawk finished!
« on: November 20, 2009, 01:56:19 PM »
Here is the little charmer.  This is the one where I mixed two "part A" epoxies and had to redo the entire finish.  The new finish is clear epoxy, Krylon white and Missle Red LusterKote.  The Golden Bee is stock, but may be replaced by an RR-1 later.  All up weight is 5.45 ounces.

I expect to fly it on Sunday at the Valley Circle Burners fun fly.  35' lines should be about right for starters.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline John KruziK

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Golden Hawk finished!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 03:03:18 PM »
Looks real good!! Should fly as good as it looks!! John
AMA 874027

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 09:04:20 PM »
Love those pilots!  H^^

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline Greg Howie

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 11:34:51 PM »
any reason for the piston on the inside ? So it will not flood ? How dose it run like that , I am guessing better but why ? Don't ask just do ? 
Oh ....I see ,you mean the ones on a string ?

Greg Howie

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 12:03:41 AM »
any reason for the piston on the inside ? So it will not flood ? How dose it run like that , I am guessing better but why ? Don't ask just do ? 

Any time something like that strikes you and you are not sure why, please ask. You may not only help yourself but anyone else who reads this later and also notices.

In all honesty, it probably makes little if any performance difference... However, most folks would keep the cylinder to the outside of the flying circle partly for reasons of weight distribution, partly for wind drag but mostly to keep the oil residue away from the linkage which makes it easier to wipe down and keep clean.

Robert
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 03:24:50 AM »
Experiments at Cox by myself, Charles Mackey, Dale Kirn and Mike Pratt over the years have shown that the inside cylinder position runs more smoothly, especially in maneuvers.  Dunno why, really, but it works.

DesignMan

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 09:33:34 AM »
Larry, I think that the plane looks great! The Golden is one of our most Popular kits and you have made it look great.
Larry

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 10:29:19 AM »
Experiments at Cox by myself, Charles Mackey, Dale Kirn and Mike Pratt over the years have shown that the inside cylinder position runs more smoothly, especially in maneuvers.  Dunno why, really, but it works.

I will be glad to try this myself. Just noticed the Hyper Viper also has its cylinder to the inside.
Is this just for reedies or also for the Tee Dees?

Robert

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 08:46:09 PM »
Good question, and I don't know the answer.  We never had much incentive to worry about that, just the RTF stuff.  Worth a try, for sure!

DesignMan

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 11:20:40 PM »
Flight report!

Well, the Golden Bee (original, stock) leaves the performance with much to be desired by modern standards!  On 35' .008 lines it flew perfectly well in level flight and climbs and dives, but I didn't have the confidence to do more. 

Mind you, this is well within the original intent and capability of the model, so that is NOT a criticism! Actually, we used to fly on 26' lines and think we were "hot stuff".   Definitely about the state of the art for the time.  (Yuk! I AM spoiled by modern engines and designs).  It was solid on the lines at all times and not wallowing, yawing or any other nastyness, just flying. 

It is clear that WAY more power and longer lines would be necessary to do stunts.  This would be beyond the capabilities of engines at the time this plane was popular.

I love the look, and am really pleased to have done the project; it was one of those "someday" things when I was (way) younger.  I will treasure it in my collection and fly it now and again just to regain lost youth.  ( I am going to have to fly it daily to achieve much of that!)

Larry has moved the bellcrank and leadouts to the top of the wing, and I see why.  My model rolls way out due to the under wing location that duplicates the original design.  If I built another one, I would do an internal bellcrank in the fuselage with the guide on top of the wing.  Not authentic, but better appearance and performance.

Thanks to Larry Rice for keeping this flame alive!

It is my custom to build a model at the Knights of the Round Circle booth at the AMA Convention in January.  This year, BlackHawk sent me their twin engine Skyrocket to assemble.  Hopefully, I can do the finish the first time, this time!   HB~>  Stop by and say "Howdy"!

DesignMan

Offline stephen zachary

• New Pilot
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 02:25:01 AM »
Great looking model :)

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 05:58:50 AM »
Ditto, ditto,, great looking Golden Hawk.

With respect to bellcrank position, for best results on inverted flight, outside loops, and lazy eights, it needs to be not on the bottom or top of the wing, but on the vertical centerline of the fuselage, with a raised leadout guide to match.

An example is this "Hawk", built not for beauty, but for lightness and to test a "Sure Start" engine.   On this model, the plan was to do a "neat" clear dope job and hope to be light enough to do the stunts.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 05:31:25 PM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, 07:48:12 AM »
So, how does yours fly? And how about an overall photo?

DesignMan

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2010, 09:14:34 AM »
My clear-coated Golden Hawks both fly very well. I've been able to win the stunt and racing events at Musicano contests with them.  

The Sure-Start engine is another matter.  I ran four of 'em to get one that's fit to fly. The Black Widow model is good.

I don't have many pictures of mine. The yellow painted one is Chris Brownhill's. It looks and and stunts.   My cleared-coated model (after three seasons of hard use) is in the group shot.  As best as I can recall, the camo Hawk belongs to Nick Bajankine and the two Mustangs are owned by Keith Morgan and Lenny Bourel.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 09:38:47 AM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2010, 01:35:26 PM »
Paul,

Nice!

Who owns the Firebaby with OK Cub, shown in one group picture? The wing looks like the real deal.  ;D

Bill
Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2010, 02:43:56 PM »
Paul,

Nice!

Who owns the Firebaby with OK Cub, shown in one group picture? The wing looks like the real deal.  ;D

Bill

Thank you Bill!
Not that I don't care about the original thread here as I have been following with great interest but sometimes it doesn't take much to find another little gem to get me sidetracked. In this case it is that Cub powered Firebaby thingy.
The firewall and bracing look like Carl Goldberg profiles but that wing does look like an original.
I would love to find out more about this model, but I have no interest in hijacking this thread.

Back to thread stuff...
Quote by Paul Smith:
"The Sure-Start engine is another matter.  I ran four of 'em to get one that's fit to fly. The Black Widow model is good."

I have read that while the Sure Starts are good engines, generally, they suffer from lack of quality control. This is why some are great runners and others just do run right out of the box (bag). I have read many times, recommendations of resetting the ball sockets of all of them, brand new and never run BUT before running, complete disassembly and cleaning because of swarf and other debris from wherever they were assembled.

Robert

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2010, 03:49:52 PM »
Paul,

Nice!

Who owns the Firebaby with OK Cub, shown in one group picture? The wing looks like the real deal.  ;D

Bill

The Firebaby was built and is owned by Chris Brownhill of Toronto.  It is entirely new.  The wing is a clever copy of the original. The body was fabricated of balsa due to lack of the stamped metal parts per the original.  Said to fly really well.
Paul Smith

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here